Nursing issues

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 09:50 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Remy has been funny with this as well. Refuses, then cries hes hungry then refuses. Then will drink a bottle??Weird.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 26th, 2013, 10:41 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Went to the doc this morning, the doc wasn't real impressed that it was for sure reflux. He agreed to let me try the reflux med that worked well for Ethan when he was a baby, Prevacid. But he said a couple times that he didn't really think it would work, and that most times you just have to wait for them to grow out of it. I wasn't really enthused about his attitude toward it, but I'm happy I got what I wanted. Now I just need my insurance to OK it (it's an expensive med) and then we're good to go to give it a try. Kody is doing great with his weight & height, he is in the 75th percentile now (he was at 50 last time.) He's also perfectly healthy in all other respects.
Anyway, I'm not real impressed with the office in general, but so long as I get what I need, I guess I can handle that. Tomorrow am we get Kody's kidneys rechecked at Doernbecher's Children's Hospital up at OHSU, so maybe we'll find out more about that too.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 26th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our struggle with nursing has been going on for months now; fortunately he takes a bottle really well, which has gotten us through the hardest times. At his worst, he would probably nurse for 20% of his food, and demand a bottle for the rest. He would just scream and scream if I tried to nurse him, but the minute my husband popped a bottle in his mouth, he'd happily drink 5 oz. It was really, really frustrating. I believe it was mostly from a fast letdown, and him being too immature to deal with the high pressure. The turning point for us was when I got a double electric pump-- now it's more like 65/35 nursing/bottle feeding and, most importantly, he nurses for his night feeding, so we don't have to deal with warming up a bottle. In retrospect, I can't believe I was pumping 30+ ounces a day with the little hand pump! But he still definitely has issues, but it goes both ways: sometimes he refuses the bottle, sometimes the boob, sometimes something as simple as switching which boob I feed him with makes all the difference. He'll pretty much only nurse in the side lying position, which is fine but sometimes turns nursing into this whole process. It's not perfect, but I can deal with it better than before. It's also nice being able to pump so much because I donate to two babies on a regular basis (~175 oz a week), and I'm so happy I can help them out.

I hope you find something that works, Joy. I know how crazy it can make you.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 27th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks Rhea, you've been through a lot of frustration yourself!

August 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran
We are having the exact same problem. Yesterday he hadn't eaten since 1pm and at 7pm was STILL refusing a bottle. He will scream and cry. It is heartbreaking and frustrating especially since he is normally such a happy baby. My hubby and I are totally freaked out and can't figure out of he has reflux, ear pain, teething etc. ? I made an appointment with the pedi on Fri. Hopefully he will have some suggestions.

August 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I'm sorry Erin. I hope your doc can give you some suggestions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search