Household responsibility

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I'm trying to figure out a better system for bill paying in our house. The way DH does it drives me insane.

So I ask

How do you pay bills each month? Do you split it up between checks? Do you pay all at once? If both of you bring in income, do
You have set bills to each be responsible for?

Who physically pays them? Do you write checks or pay online?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband pays them online when they comes in. I use to pay everything that was due for the month at nice. Obviously that does not work if someone lives paycheck to pay check.
September 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure if this will answer your question: We merge our two different incomes, but in my mind, we have one combined income as a couple so we do think of it that way. He gets paid weekly, I get paid twice per month. We then have a joint budget based on that combined income. All our bills, savings, and then fun, food, miscellaneous, personal use money, etc. We keep track of ALL expenses (using iBank software) and we pay our set-static bills monthly. We use or credit card for everything but then pay it all off every single month- which helps when you don't have to worry so much about if it's in the bank or not depending on when bills come due. We do a lot of automatic bill pay for set-month-to-month bills. I guess I do the actual accounting, but we talk through things and make decisions together about spending, reviewing budget when our income changes, etc. Some months we over spend and have to dip into savings, but we always try the next month to stay on budget! Good luck figuring out a new system that works.
September 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I manage all the household expenses, and then tell DH how much he "owes" me each month (we just split the bills, since we both work). I like that each of us has our own account and I'm pretty savvy with numbers and budgets, so it works for us

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 1st, 2013, 11:45 AM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
All our money gets pooled together, and I usually pay all he bills online once a month, when I remember ( there's usually at least one late one). It's not that we live paycheck to paycheck. I just always forget to do it, so does he.

It's a horrible system, and we both hate it, we just don't know how to get ourselves organized. (Story of my life)

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 1st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
DH pays all of the bills and I write him a check once a week for my share. We still don't have a joint account. I have one credit card of my own and my student loans, which I pay independently. DH used to pay everything by check, but has now started using online bill pay. I think he just pays them as they come in. He sits down once or twice a month to balance his checkbook and make sure everything has been paid on time.
September 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Chris does it all lol He pays over the phone, online or writes a check when the bills come in or are due.

September 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
40% of my income and 100% of DH's gets DD into our joint household checking account. I either pay bills online or pay by check and most household expenses out of our joint account. I pay for other stuff - eating out, kid stuff, etc. out of my checking account. The car insurance also gets taken out of my account. It usually ends up being equal in the long run. I take care of making sure stuff gets paid because DH has an awful memory lol.

September 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
We do an excel spreadsheet every month of what money will come in and what will go out. This has really helped us to have a plan in place before the money even comes in and we know what to expect. Things don't always go according to budget and adjustments are made as necessary during each month. I normally manage the budget but the last year I have been showing my husband all about it so he can give me a break and manage it sometimes. We pay some bills auto debit and most others online.

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

September 1st, 2013, 01:33 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My darling does all the bill-paying in a very nonorthodox way. It looks/seems like a mess, but he can keep us going on just about nothing! Our account is a savings account, and whenever he gets paid he deposits his check immediately. He gets money from cash flow as needed (or when available~I'm sure there are times he "robs Peter to pay Paul"), and all bills are paid by money order. That's all I know! Somehow it works... ???

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
September 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our income is all pooled into one. I manage the household finances primarily online. At the end of the month half our bills are setup on automatic payment and the other half I pay online. I also have a monthly spreadsheet to keep track of payments.

September 1st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have only one income. I pay bills weekly according to due dates. a mixture of online and checks for certain things.
September 1st, 2013, 07:37 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, and we do pay via billpay online. It's so convenient for us. Whatever works, right?

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 1st, 2013, 09:22 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's my system.

I have one checking account, one savings account and one credit card.

In my checking account I consider 2,000 to be equal to zero. Everything over 2k is what I have to spend. Every bill or expense is paid the day it is recieved or done automatically each month because there is always enough money in the account. Is something big comes up and I go under my 2k, then i treat it like I overdrafted and punish myself by tightening my belt until it's back to where it's supposed to be.

I also stick at least 100 a month in savings and if I find myself feeling "rich" at the end of the month then that goes into savings too.

I use my credit card like once a month for gas and then pay it off just to build credit.

Anyways I've used this system since I was about 20 years old and my credit is over 800 even though I've not had loans except for school.
NCRG2010 likes this.
September 2nd, 2013, 05:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's the way to do it!
HorseGal likes this.
September 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have one income for the most part so we only rely on that. I have a yearly excel spreadsheet that I do that includes all income and bills for each month plus savings etc so I can have an overview of it all.

I pay bills every other week using auto debit, online payments, checks, or cash whatever way works for that bill.

Then I use a regular old paper notebook and write our bills out by pay period, he gets paid every other week, so for example Sept is broken in 2 pays. I start by making a list of all the bills and their due dates and check them off as I add them to the bi-weekly pay period they belong in. The majority of things get paid before their due dates as they are placed in the bi-weekly pay period. In the budget I include everything including gas, grocery, fun money etc.

September 2nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
We only have one income. My husband has 2 dates each month that he sits down and pays bills so that they get paid on time. He does almost all of it through online bill pay or automatic bill pay.

September 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Super Mommy
We haven't established a good system yet. We are both pretty bad with paying things on time. Lol. Rent and car insurance are the only things that get paid on time.

September 2nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH pays all but two bills. I pay the electricity and gas because I am the one that set those up when we bought the house, lol!

We pay them as they come in or ahead of time if we know how much (like mortgage) and they are paid online.

We don't carry balances on anything. And DH is super into earning airline miles. Don't even get me started!

September 3rd, 2013, 02:41 AM
Veteran
I'm the better money manager out of us, but that's really not saying much... it drives me crazy that we aren't more organized but I can't seem to get it going, I haven't found a system that works for us yet.. in over 6 years! I pay pretty much every bill online.. not sure how things would get paid then lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search