I'm just about positive I've been having real contractions

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eilla05
  • 1 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By mommamindy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Randomly I've been getting the BH feeling contractions with the downward pressure and sometimes some hip pain mixed in there. This has been going on for weeks though. (I never had these with DS1 until my 39th week).

However... last night for about 2-3 hours I was having a low dull back/hip pain that I couldn't escape or ease. Stretching, moving, warm pack or ice couldn't change it. I also had waves of cramping, waves of hip pressure and pain, uterus tightning and an increased thicker discharge (white with no odor) that I could actually feel coming out like when you feel your period starting. Not mucus plug though.

I starting writing down the times I was feeling the "waves" and they were 8-10 minutes apart. I was at work, so I propped my legs up and kind of angled myself to the left and drank water and ate a yogurt. They ended up fizzling off and quit, along with the increased discharge. I should also note that during this time I was not dehydrated and was even peeing clear. It had also been a very laid back day.

I had got to thinking about it more today and I think I was in denial last night because I'm pretty sure I was having real contractions.

What do you think? I don't know, with my son I always had the BH contractions like crazy but no pain and downward pressure with it until a few days before he was born, then it phased right into the painful 'I mean business' kind and there he was.

My next appt isn't until the 11th. I'm feeling like if another episode like that happens I should probably go in.
September 2nd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran
I would just call and make your doctor aware of what's going on just incase it turns out to be contractions.
September 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Super Mommy
I went to labor and delivery last night because of the same thing. I was walking around a lot and it was hot out. They hooked me up to the monitors and nothing showed. They chalked it up to muscle spasms. I'd go in to be safe girl. They can stop it if its real contractions. Seemed like my pain stopped once I got to the hospital tho.

September 2nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is always safer to get checked
September 3rd, 2013, 02:40 AM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I agree about calling your dr or going in just to be on the safe side
December 3rd 2014 !! Baby #2 due August 14th 2015!!!

September 3rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I would give a call -- but it sounds like someone flipped heads down last night and it just sprung things for you.
September 3rd, 2013, 05:41 AM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
Definitely call either way, they may want to see you sooner. You may have to be persistent because sometimes if you don't have a previous history of PTL they may give you the run around.

This may sound silly, but is it possible you were constipated? I had a friend who thought she was having contractions with her last LO but it ended up being constipation. She said it was the worst feeling ever!

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

September 3rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I'm in the same boat as you. I've never had PTL before, but I think I have been this weekend. I'm chalking it up to overdoing it, because that's when it flares up. If I lay down for hours it will eventually go away. But if i'm up and about it starts up. Ugh. I'm hesitant to go in/call because they'll either a-freak out and go all strict bed rest on me, or b-blow me off and say its nothing. Not a fan of either extreme. :/

I'm getting the persistant lower back pain and front cramping. But I never get timeable "waves" until I'm in true about to have a baby in an hour type labor....so its hard for me to know what this is.

Personally, I'd probably do the same as you...call or go in if it happens again and still worries you.

September 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Listen to me. Call your doctor and see what they say. This early in pregnancy all it takes is a few hours of contractions that doesn't really feel like them to open your cervix completely. IT was a matter of hours with me with Zach. I am not trying to scare you but you should at least call your doctor and tell them what was going on and go from there. It is possible that those contractions changed your cervix....also possible they are not doing anything. I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side.
NCRG2010 likes this.

September 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I've no idea what it is, but man, I hope it's not real contractions, or if it is, they subside. Keep the rest up as best you can, along with the water... but if you have another episode, may as well go get checked. There's no telling what's going on until they check you out on all their monitors.

I hope it doesn't happen again, though, for many weeks to come!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just had my Healthy Moms call from insurance (LOVE MY NURSE after all that~LOL!), and at one point in talking about PTL I thought about you A LOT. She said to make sure you call/see your doctor *I think* for contractions 8-10 minutes apart and if there is a discharge. THIS IS YOU! So I'm rather alarmed for you, and I'm pretty usually too laid back....
HorseGal likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
September 3rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgail View Post
Definitely call either way, they may want to see you sooner. You may have to be persistent because sometimes if you don't have a previous history of PTL they may give you the run around.

This may sound silly, but is it possible you were constipated? I had a friend who thought she was having contractions with her last LO but it ended up being constipation. She said it was the worst feeling ever!
I actually know the constipated feeling your talking about. I deal with constipation issues just as much as when I'm not pregnant. And no, this was not that. I'm positive about that. But I do know that constipation pain can be bad!
September 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I've never had PTL before, but I think I have been this weekend. I'm chalking it up to overdoing it, because that's when it flares up. If I lay down for hours it will eventually go away. But if i'm up and about it starts up. Ugh. I'm hesitant to go in/call because they'll either a-freak out and go all strict bed rest on me, or b-blow me off and say its nothing. Not a fan of either extreme. :/

I'm getting the persistant lower back pain and front cramping. But I never get timeable "waves" until I'm in true about to have a baby in an hour type labor....so its hard for me to know what this is.

Personally, I'd probably do the same as you...call or go in if it happens again and still worries you.
Ya, you hit the nail on the head, I hate coming off as the "silly worried pregnant woman" who gets pacified and then sent on their merry way. This pregnancy has been so different and I feel like this isn't my first time, so should I know this already?! The last time I saw him I explained to him that I was having up to 20 bh contractions an hour lately and I got the drink more water and rest speech.

And of course this happened on the holiday weekend when work was short handed so I feel like if I call now I'll really get the reaction from them.

I do plan to mention it at my next appt and if I have anymore real feeling episodes then I'll go right in and be checked.
September 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
Beautiful Life!
I was having the same thing a couple weeks back and did the same thing as you since I was working. The only reason I don't immediately jump to going for them is because if they check you, it can trigger everything to really kick into gear. I also know that with each subsequent pregnancy, I feel brackton hicks more and they become more painful. When I'm overdoing it or more stressed than usual, I also feel them even more and it's my sign to initially lay on my left side and relax for awhile and then take it easier the next few days. If they don't go away from me laying on my left side, I lay in a bath for awhile, if I can, and then if they were still bothering me, I'd go in to be checked. Otherwise, like you, I just mention it at my next Dr.s appt. Like the others, I try to stay on the cautious side, but I've also learned from each pregnancy most of the time it's just me feeling things even more than the previous pregnancy. Hope things stay calmed down for you and no more scares!
HorseGal likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 12:25 AM
BTW just want to say eilla05 and hugssandI, i hear you and thank you!
September 4th, 2013, 01:49 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you don't experience this again, so you don't have to call or worry.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
September 4th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I remember in my first pregnancy, I was complaining about CONSTANT BH's. More than 6 an hour (sometimes 12+) and was told to get off my feet and drink water. Then I landed myself in legit PTL, and they started paying attention to me. When I had PTL -- i had no discharge. The night before, I had A LOT of lower back pain (enough to sit on my ball) and then woke up at 2am with contractions that were uncomfortable in my butt. By 7am, I went to the hospital because drinking water, a bath and laying on my left side did nothing. Sure enough -- PTL!

This time, they are taking me a lot more seriously. I have to report any BH contractions I can not get rid of on my own with water, a bath, left side laying, magnesium or a glass or wine. Usually one of those always work though

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search