Eviction...er..induction request...frustrated

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree58Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with you, Rosiegirl - inductions for convenience make about as much sense to me as giving pitocin to a woman whose baby is experiencing decels anyway.

As far as c-sections go, I have had two of them so far and have to agree that the surgery itself isn't horrible; it would be the recovery that really sucks! lol I'm grateful that this surgery is available to me because I really need it, but would advise anyone to try hard to avoid it...What I wouldn't do to be able to give birth, then be up walking around within hours without pain from surgery.
Keakie likes this.
September 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
WHat counts as induction? DH thinks that having your water broken counts as inducing and I say it doesn't.
justmcurious likes this.
September 15th, 2013, 07:19 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca0217 View Post
WHat counts as induction? DH thinks that having your water broken counts as inducing and I say it doesn't.
Induction to me is anything to do with trying to start labor. Breaking of the water when you are already in labor is just a way to speed up the process, IMO.
justmcurious likes this.
September 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm lurking also. First off I think it's great you don't want to get induced. My 4 th I finally manned up and didn't want to be induced. It was the funniest phone call I ever made when I got to tell dh that my water broke and he freaked out. I would do that 100 times over. But I just want to say I was induced with my first 3 kids. I didn't have a bad experience at all. I labored with over 9 lb babies and successfully pushed all them out on my own with no pain meds. I honk induction is a decision for some bout not all. I say if you don't want one don't have one. It's so fun to get to tell dh it's time and see them scramble and freak out even if they have been through this before. I'm proud of women when they stand up for what they want . Don't ever let someone push you into something when it's not what you want.
Grlsshp9 likes this.
Christina Married to Eric, Mom to Ashley 15 Christopher 11, Wyatt 9, Brantley 6 Orion 3 , my angel McKenzie Baby #7 due in Feb 2018
September 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM
Amazing Mommy
Lurking.

I think it's a personal choice. There's no right or wrong for anyone. And yes, you do have a choice and no one can force you into anything. Good for you for putting your foot down and going for what you want.

Not all inductions are bad and pitocin doesn't negatively effect all women or babies.
I was induced at 39 weeks with my first son because of pre eclampsia and while he was healthy as could be and was doing fine, I wasn't. So just because baby is doing fine remaining inside, doesn't mean mother is (and vice versa) and I wasn't about to let my son stay inside longer, considering he was full term, just because I didn't want to be medically induced. I could have died. But at least I was able to get him to 39 weeks and full term like I wanted even though my kidneys and liver were starting to fail and I was at high risk for seizures, stroke and heart failure. My induction went smoothly, didn't last for more than 15 hours and didn't end in a c-section. He had perfect apgar scores.

My SIL had to be induced at 44 weeks with her first. She had not progressed at all on her own and there were a lot of risks involved letting baby stay inside for longer just to see if she'd go into labor on her own. Her induction did not go smoothly, she could not dilate farther than 4cm even with epi and pain meds, her son's heart rate would drop and she did have to have a c-section.
Personally, I think if they had not waited so long to induce her, the induction would've went a lot smoother than it did.

Me (29)
DH (34)
DS1 (10)
DD (2)
DS2 (Due in May!!)

September 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummytoB View Post
My SIL had to be induced at 44 weeks with her first. She had not progressed at all on her own and there were a lot of risks involved letting baby stay inside for longer just to see if she'd go into labor on her own. Her induction did not go smoothly, she could not dilate farther than 4cm even with epi and pain meds, her son's heart rate would drop and she did have to have a c-section.
Personally, I think if they had not waited so long to induce her, the induction would've went a lot smoother than it did.
I'm also lurking...

Just wanted to add that I had a similar experience with the birth of my DS back in July, except I waited 42 weeks instead of 44. At the 42 week point, I was only 1cm dilated and 50% effaced despite the fact that I was having occasional contractions that would come and go. I did not want an induction but at that point I was fed up thought 42 weeks was sufficient. So I went in for the induction only to be told two things: that DS was measuring up to 9-10lbs on his ultrasound and I had a very narrow pelvis; and 2) given my lack of progress at that point, it was likely that the labour would last up to 2 days and I would probably need an emergency c-section in the end, either due to lack of progress or because DS was too large to pass.

I was crushed at this news and weighed all my options carefully. In the end, I decided that I did not want to risk having an experience like your SIL did and opted for a c-section instead. It was the LAST thing I thought I would do. I had planned on a natural, meds free labour. My entire birth plan went out the window. But you know what? I have no regrets about it. I did what I thought was best for myself and my son, and now I have a perfectly healthy 9-week-old. I do think in retrospect that perhaps baby got a little TOO big by staying in there an extra weeks and maybe I would have been better off doing an induction at 41 weeks instead. But no one has a crystal ball!

Most of you by now have already given birth, but for all FTM please don't beat yourselves up if you end up making decisions you never thought you would have to make. When you have your baby in your arms, you won't care how he/she came out!
MummytoB likes this.
September 22nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran
sorry for the delay---just wanted to update my water broke around 4am on sept 11th so my concerns were pretty irrelevant in the end. will post story in labor stories thread

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search