The crib...dun dun dun

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 2 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By LabLover13
  • 1 Post By LabLover13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2013, 06:48 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Ok, so I'm thinking this weekend we're going to try having Claire sleep in her crib at night. I am so, so anxious about it...but I know it's for the best.

Any tips or tricks of the trade? We still swaddle, so she'll be all snugged up between bolsters. I have a video monitor, which means I'm going to get NO sleep waking up every hour to check it. White noise machine, a fan on...what am I forgetting? Does it get any easier?

Hold me, please.
September 17th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Haha, she will be fine, and your sleep life is going to get a whole lot better!

I think you are good with the monitor and the fan stuff. It should go great!
LabLover13 likes this.
September 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you have everything all set up! I can't think of anything else she needs! Just a fresh diaper, a snuggle and to bed she goes!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I've been using the crib now too. I did it in baby steps. First, I started with naps. Then one night I put her to bed in the crib, but moved her back to the bassinet after her first awakening. Then I waited till after her second awakening...and so forth. Just last night i had her in the crib all night for the first time! Problem is she's still up at least twice a night. Last night she was up 4 times. It was super annoying to have to walk all the way in her room each time. But she's getting too big for her bassinet.
September 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Girl it's gonna be great! Let us know how it goes. Misha's crib is still in our room, although the pediatrician told us we could move him into his own room if we wanted. As long as he's only waking up once during the night, it's easiest to have him nearby to nurse.
September 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The first night is the hardest! I barely slept checking the monitor the whole night. But he slept better and eventually so did we. When he's tired at the end of the day he just wants to be left alone to sleep, but he still lets me visit him twice a night

Good luck, go in baby steps like Kary said.

September 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Dude I am soooooooo freaking scared of this! Lilah is outgrowing the bassinet quickly now (why do they have to GROW so FAST?). She needs to move, but I'm totally freaked out by it, and I have no idea why. The transition with my other two girls went completely fine, but with Lilah, I just can't give her up! Her room seems so big......and so FAR from me! I like having her right beside me. We need to do it soon though.......DH's alarm wakes her up every morning, and if not the alarm, then the sound of him getting dressed wakes her...so she's up every morning at 6:15 or so when I bet she'd sleep longer if she was in her own room.

My oldest is in school, so I'm sure the germs are going to start coming home soon....which means if I get a cold I'll be waking Lilah up by blowing my nose or coughing or whatever with her right beside me. So many reasons she needs to move. I think I'm in SERIOUS denial that she's almost 4 months old, since she's my last baby. I can't imagine never using that bassinet again. Waaaaah.
EverydayJoy and LabLover13 like this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
September 17th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks ladies. I know I'm being a bigger baby than Claire about this, but I've totally turned into a WAY bigger helicopter mom than I ever thought I'd be, and I know I've got to take this step for everyone's happiness. I find myself gritting my teeth at DH when he BREATHES too loudly, for fear he'll wake the baby. The poor dude.
EverydayJoy likes this.
September 17th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Super Mommy
yeah i need to start to put mine in his crib too but i need to clear i need to stop using it for laundry first
September 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Attempted a nap in the crib this morning. It started off well...she hung out staring at her mobile for about a half hour while I watched on the monitor. Then I realized--D'OH! She needs to eat. So I took a bottle up there, fed her, and put her back down. That didn't go so well. By that point, she was over-tired and fighting sleep hard-core. After being awake for 3 hours (normal awake time is 90 minutes) I brought her back downstairs and put her in the swing for a nap.

Nap #2 is going MUCH better...she's been asleep for about 90 minutes in her crib! Hallelujah!!

Gonna keep trying naps in the crib until this weekend, when we try nights in the crib. Thanks for all the confidence boosters, ladies!!
EverydayJoy likes this.
September 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Brock's minion
It was so hard but turned into a great sleeping situation for all of us.

Michelle
September 19th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you just lay her down in her crib and leave, and she puts herself to sleep? I want to try naps in the crib with Lilah too, but she's napped in the swing from day 1...so I'm not expecting it to go too smoothly.

September 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Yep! I get her all swaddled up, put the binky in, and put her down wide awake. I turn the crib-vibration-thingy on, turn on her Sleep Sheep pretty loud, and walk away. This is the child that I had to rock, bounce, sway, hum, and shush to sleep for the first 3 months of her life.

I've been reading a lot about sleep training, and I know that it's really important for babies to teach themselves to fall asleep on their own...but I've been too afraid to try it till now.

After the first nap in the swing yesterday, she napped two more times in her crib and fell asleep on her own. I put her down for bed wide awake last night, and she did the same thing. It's too early to get excited, but I'm super optimistic!

I say just go for it...give yourself a time limit (like you'll let her stay awake 30 minutes in the crib before you switch her to the swing, or something like that).
Let me know how it goes!!
September 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She's great about going to bed at night now. DH is the one who puts her to bed every night (I deal with the other two!), and he goes up, feeds her her last bottle, lays her in her bassinet, puts the soother in and that's it. He keeps laying there in case she spits the soother out, but lately it's taking no time at all to get her down. It probably helps that she's not napping well at ALL during the day - 20-30 min naps all day, it's killing me!

September 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
We had our first night in the crib last night. It went AMAZINGLY well. She slept 9 to 5, woke up for a bottle, and went back down (wide awake at first, then fell asleep around 5:30) until 7:15. I, of course, woke up every 30 minutes or so to check the monitor, so I slept like caca...but that's ok!!

Every nap has been easier to get her down. I'm putting her in wide awake, no rocking at all, and she's falling asleep on her own within 5 to 10 minutes, no crying whatsoever. In fact, today we took a nap together, and she fell asleep 30 seconds after I set her down. I'm completely amazed and keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...like the 4 month regression.

Until then, though, I'm just gonna enjoy the heck out of this!!
September 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search