Speaking of convertible carseats

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By LabLover13
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2013, 05:27 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Which ones are your favorite and why? There's so many to choose from. Are there any you absolutely would not trust?

December 11th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
We got the Safety 1st advanced air. It goes up to 70 pounds.
December 11th, 2013, 08:05 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
We ordered a Chicco nextfit on Amazon black Friday....50% off!

From what I've heard, all car seats are equally safe if installed correctly. BUT...some will work better than others for your particular kiddo. For example, if your LO is consistently in the mid- to -upper percentile for height, then Britax seats probably won't work, as baby will outgrow the shell quicker.

The Safety First Alpha Omega Elite seems to get the thumbs down, so try to avoid that one if you can.
ashj_1218 and rheaimedved like this.
December 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Britax Boulevard. We've used those for both my older girls, and now my oldest is in a Frontier. I really like Britax seats.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
December 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Britax Marathon over here. Diapers.com often has 25-30% off sales on Britax and they ship in 1-2 days free with orders over $39.00. They also offer free 365 day returns.

Some carseats (ie. Britax) do offer better side impact protection and are really easy to install.
December 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Brock's minion
I took back my expensive Britax and purchased a safety 1st and a Greco(?). So far I'm happy with both. We had to change out our infant seat about 1.5 months ago because Brock was too long.

Michelle
December 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have owned a good variety (Britax, Graco, Cosco, Alpha Omega, Evenflo) and ultimately like our Gracos the best. All three of my children are in them right now. They have decent RF limits, comfy features, and install well in our truck (we have three across our middle seat). And, frankly, they are priced right. I'd love a Radian, but it's not going to happen at $300 each! I think all have their little features (the Graco latch isn't ideal aka: easy to use and those seats are heavy), but it's just about finding which one you can prolly live with.

Jo will be getting a MyRide65 when she leaves her infant seat. It's one we already own. Although I need to play around in the car to make sure it fits (should, we have one installed on the other side, so I don't see why not).

But every single seat on the market passed the same safety inspections. No one has better protection than any other one (Britax is particularly good at selling unsubstantiated claims about protection). As long as it's installed and used correctly, it will protect your child well. But like Lab said, it's about your child too. Some seats don't allow rear facing as long because of the limits and such.

Last edited by ashj_1218; December 11th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
December 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLover13 View Post

The Safety First Alpha Omega Elite seems to get the thumbs down, so try to avoid that one if you can.
That's what we have!!!! I had to put a rolled-up towel under the base for it to recline as much as it's supposed to, and when it is fully reclined (so Misha's head isn't falling forward when he falls asleep) it takes up SO MUCH room in our Civic. We're actually buying a bigger car (not because of the car seat issue, but partially!) soon, so hopefully that won't be as much of a problem. It's also very, very difficult to tighten with the latch system. Very poorly designed in this respect. I spent a lot of time in ridiculous positions in the back seat, sweating and swearing whilst tightening it. Unnecessarily difficult. Otherwise it's a nice seat, seems very comfortable and is easy to get him in and out of, adjusts easily, etc. But I wouldn't recommend it.
December 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Memi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a Britax Marathon that my oldest is in and a Graco MyRide 65 I bought as a spare seat for DH's car for him. We like both, but use the Britax as his main seat. I plan to give Roman the Britax when he's ready for it in a few months and purchase my oldest the Graco Nautilis (since it's FF only and will transition into a booster so it will be his forever seat from now on) then we'll keep the Graco MyRide as the spare in DH's car so if he ever has to transport either child he can.
Expecting #3 in January 2016!

December 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Brock's minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
That's what we have!!!! I had to put a rolled-up towel under the base for it to recline as much as it's supposed to, and when it is fully reclined (so Misha's head isn't falling forward when he falls asleep) it takes up SO MUCH room in our Civic. We're actually buying a bigger car (not because of the car seat issue, but partially!) soon, so hopefully that won't be as much of a problem. It's also very, very difficult to tighten with the latch system. Very poorly designed in this respect. I spent a lot of time in ridiculous positions in the back seat, sweating and swearing whilst tightening it. Unnecessarily difficult. Otherwise it's a nice seat, seems very comfortable and is easy to get him in and out of, adjusts easily, etc. But I wouldn't recommend it.
I purchased the same one, great deal at Costco. It was hard to install an we also need to use towels. I really like it so much now that it is installed, my truck is large so I have enough room. We did try it front facing just to make sure I liked it every possible way before we tossed out the box. Seems to be so much easier front facing.
rheaimedved likes this.

Michelle
December 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Diono

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search