Nursing strike

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2014, 12:47 PM
May 2013 Cohost
For almost a week now Lexi refuses to nurse at all during the day. She physically arches her head back or pushes me away. She will only nurse once or twice in the middle of the night when she's partially asleep. I've been pumping and trying to use the breast milk in a bottle during the day but that wasn't working. So now I'm putting it in a sippy cup and giving it with her meals- she does ok, but I have to hold it for her and it's far less liquid than what she used to take in with nursing. I've now resorted to syringe feeding her the breast milk which oddly enough is working. I've also tried an open cup which she loves but it makes a mess and again, she doesn't seem to get very much during the day. It's just a pain in the you know what. I'm stressed because I need to get her weight up too. The good news is she's had an explosion in chewing and table food - I've got her eating cheese, bread, hummus, crackers, and scrambled eggs! So I feel good about that. I've also been doing smoothies with full fat yogurt and whole milk. I'm just so worried about her overall milk intake. Any thoughts? Anyone else going through this?
March 21st, 2014, 04:39 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went through this with Grady at around 6 months which is why we had to change to the bottle and eventually formula. He would push me away and I could only get him to nurse in the middle of the night when he was too tired to fight it. It sounds like you're trying everything and I'm glad you're having some success with the syringe and sippy. Talk to your doc but have you considered going to formula or milk? I know breast milk is way better than those options and she may be too young for milk but maybe she'd be interested in a flavor change? I don't know, that's a tough one. Really great she's eating more table foods!

March 21st, 2014, 06:39 PM
May 2013 Cohost
The doc says wait until 12 months for whole milk. She won't touch formula, and to be honest, we're so close to a year that I don't mind pumping - not. lol. She did better with the sippy at mealtimes today. And she wanted to nurse at bedtime the past 2 nights so that is a good sign! Unfortunately, tonight I could feel my supply was lower than normal. We'll see how this plays out! I've been monitoring her wet diapers and she's still at 5 wet diapers in a 24 hr period so I don't feel she is dehydrated. I'll take her in for a weight check next week. It just sucks when she pushes me away!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search