BLW or feeding from the table?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Is anybody doing baby lead weaning or feeding their babies what they eat? Brady only eats jarred baby food. Lately I've been trying to feed him from the table but he gags & chokes & it freaks me out. I was hoping I could have him eating a lot of what we eat by the end of June when we go on vacation since it would be so much easier than taking baby food everywhere but he doesn't look anywhere near being able to do it. Can anybody suggest foods I can try with him? I think it's more of a texture thing because he shouldn't be choking on mashed potatoes but he does. I gave him teeny tiny bites of turkey tonight & DH was like "is he choking????!!!" which almost gave me a heart attack so we quit. You think I would remember this stuff but I don't. What should I feed him? What size bites? Duh?!

May 2nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cant help with the BLW, sorry, hopefully some of the other ladies know more about it. Just a suggestion, if you don't get him to BLW prior to your trip - those travel pouches of baby food are super easy to use on the go. They sell baby spoons that screw in to the end. Natania loves eating out of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
May 3rd, 2014, 04:53 AM
Super Mommy
I have Vivian on the purees as I did with Athena but I will say when Athena turned 1 we cut her off of the purees and gave her regular foods. We did give her bits of what we ate in between and got her some of the gerber snacks so it helped her learn how to chew. Other than that when she turned 1 we gave her regular stuff little bites first and then gradually made them a little bigger as she progressed.

May 3rd, 2014, 05:05 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel the exact same way as you, and I've done this 2 times before!! LOL I feel clueless and behind. We've tried small pieces of basically mashed banana and he gagged, mashed potatoes he gagged, gerber puff cut into like 3 pieces he gagged, mum mums he bit off huge piece and gagged!! So I'm like holding off and continuing the jar food for another while long before we try finger foods again lol my heart can't take it!!

He was ok with the mashed potato after a few spoonfuls though so we will give those, and I will give him some mashed sweet potato rather then the jarred puree too, try and get him used to it.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

May 3rd, 2014, 07:44 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I let Logan eat chunks of raw banana, puffs, Baby Mum Mums, mashed potatoes...he hasn't ever truly gagged. Once in a while he will make a face like he's trying to move something from his throat back into his mouth, and MIGHT gag, but from what I have read that is a natural part of them learning to eat solids. I would say if the gagging continues to happen, then they likely aren't ready for anything more than purées. As for how big, if you are doing BLW, you are supposed to cut the food into long strips so they can hold it, and the baby decides for themselves how big of a bite to take. This is how they learn how much they can handle.

Here is a really good resource for solids, and the website has good info on BLW:

Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes | Make Fresh Baby Food, Healthy Homemade Baby Food, it's easy with new baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!

May 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Leah
We're kind of mixing. SO was dead set on jarred food instead of BLW, but he's come around a bit and we mix real food he can chew as well as use the jars. I think once we've moved through the allergy testing stage we'll do more table food than jarred. We started with real avocado mixed with breast milk. It was thicker than typical purees. We also have him some chunks to hold - like Jenny said, they get pieces large enough to hold and they decide and figure out how much. Logi got it to his mouth, but initially not much went in that way. He still gets thrown by texture, but doesn't refuse. If Brady is turning away, I'd leave it be for the moment. Logi does do a little cough every once in a while that could be a gag, but nothing that lasts for long or is severe enough to freak us out. And he's always game for more afterwards. We did some meats and veggies after watching him use his jaw to chew for a few days.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
May 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
We go with the flow. I have a bunch of those organic fruit and veg pouches that travel very easily, and we give him that until he gets jealous that we are eating delicious looking foods and drinking out of shiny wine glasses. Then I dig a fork into what we're eating and we alternate who gets it, haha. Mostly things like potatoes, bananas, mango, small bites of rice or whatever. He has nibbled on corn kernels and some black eyed peas (I didn't really have a choice in the matter on that one, b/c a friend's mother shoved it in there!!) etc and he knows how to chew.. ish. He starts doing this Forrest Gump grunting at the school principal noise if he realizes he's missing out big time on foods at the table… I give him the food ASAP because that sound is crazy!
jennyrae03 likes this.
May 4th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Leah
^ I'm glad it's not just my kid that makes that sound.
soul_donut likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
May 5th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Ugh....if it's the sound I'm thinking of, it's starting to drive me freaking nuts! It's constant! Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful. I'm going to try bigger strips of things. It's weird, EVERYTHING goes in his mouth....but food! I put it in front of him & he's like "whatever, feed me my purée peaches". Oh well. It's not going to make or break the vacation. Just thought it might be a little easier.

May 6th, 2014, 05:38 AM
I might be weird but I looked on youtube and BLW and had a few heart attacks...just not for me! lol

May 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Lily gags so much on the PUREES that she has thrown up the entirety of her boob juice meal including the baby food every single time. She will also just clamp her mouth closed and turn her head when we try to feed her.

But we did find something that worked a lot better. We cut up big slices of honeydew or cantaloupe, and she will gnaw on those and never gag. I put smaller pieces in that mesh bag paci thing, but she doesn't like it as much. Next up is soft steamed veggies.

I am a little wary about giving her our food yet because it's seasoned with salt and such. I worry about destroying her kidneys.

Edit: If you are making chicken, you can also give baby the drumstick after you take everything off of it. Most parents around here give their babies the bone to gnaw. Kids love it.
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

Daniel Constantine - July 19, 2016
Save

Last edited by Spyctre; May 6th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
May 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been using the fresh food infant feeder, and doug loves it! I've given him the feeder plus a slice of the real thing on the side but that usually just ends up on the ground. I'm just now starting some spoon feeding and he takes the spoon from me and feeds himself. It's messy but great!

I love that I can bake up sweet potatoes for our dinner and just scoop some of mine into the feeder for him. We can also eat at the same time. I love that thing, I haven't had to buy any baby food yet!

May 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Margaret, I can't get Logan to even touch it, let alone out one in his mouth!which is weird because he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. I have got to stop wasting my money on bang products! Hahaha

May 9th, 2014, 09:09 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I give phe some broccoli, cauliflower. And sweet potato fries. None seasoned. It works fine until you stop watching for a second, turn back and her little chipmunk cheeks are stuffed and she somehow managed to shove the whole piece in there. Its fine if its soft (I just scooped it out), but she just keeps eating until its all in there and freaks me out. We mostly puree, but I fdid like the feeder...but it got dirty and is so hard to clean!
May 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
We've used the feeder a few times and I agree such a pain to clean!

May 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG, I put oatmeal with apple sauce in the feeder today to see if it would be easier then spoon feeding. Haha, total mess but he went nuts eating it all and wanting more!

Totally agree with the cleaning of it though, banana is the worst to get out. I got a couple so I can cycle them through the dishwasher.

Jenny, what did you put in there? Maybe if you mush the food a little bit so it's already coming out of the mesh he'd take it from you.

May 11th, 2014, 04:28 AM
I'm going to try some pear and cooked sweet potato today!

May 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Henry hates food. He gags and makes faces and shivers, ugh it's awful! We have the boon feeder (Boon Pulp Silicone Feeder - Grape/Magenta - UrbanBaby) which is great and he will now take banana out of it, but that's it. We've put avocado, sweet potato, apple, etc in there and he will have none of it. Funny thing though is that I'll give him an apple slice and he's all over it, sucking and biting, but it makes me so nervous because I read the other day that apples are the no 1 choking hazard. Bah, can't win!
May 13th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Margaret, I had put a chunk of semi-frozen banana in there, but the I squished it with my fingers a bit to soften it up. Maybe I'll try again with something else.

Lately Logan is anti-spoons, or if he does take a spoon, he keeps grabbing it from me and flinging his food everywhere and not actually eating. I bought resealable pouches so I could feed him with those. He loves them. He feeds himself and will suck that thing dry! He also is now really into the yogurt bites (they dissolve in their mouths).

Last edited by jennyrae03; May 13th, 2014 at 08:37 AM.
May 13th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Oh they can have the yogurt bites now too, I'm so behind!! lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search