Food questions!

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2014, 06:34 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
I swear I'm an experienced Mom but my older son wasn't interested in any kind of solid until at least 8 months so I can't remember what we gave him and when. He gagged on anything and everything for a long time so I know he was older by the time we gave him table food. So here's my question..

Camden is super ready for something other than jarred food. He is starting to refuse it. The problem is we know he has an allergy to milk. He had a horrible reaction to cottage cheese about a month ago and has since been prescribed an Epi-pen and was referred to an allergist. His appointment isn't for another month though and I am terrified of introducing new foods.

He is up every 2 hours at night to eat so I KNOW he needs more to eat during the day. He can't have regular formula either so I'm wondering what I can start to give him that he can eat with 2 teeth that doesn't involve dairy?

We do small bites of bananas right now. I'm thinking about avocado too. He eats those rice crunchy things by gerber and likes them but I need more ideas.

Please help!

Last edited by BelloFiglioLA; June 16th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
June 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Logan eats just about anything we give him lol - he has no teeth but he has been practicing chewing for a couple of months now so may be a bit more experienced there

He loves watermelon, and that's something that doesn't need chewed, just mushed up. He also has had pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, pasta salad). He likes waffles, no syrup. Pancakes. Biscuits. Also, you could make some puréed fruits and veggies and just leave them a thicker/chunkier consistency than the jarred stuff - changes things up, maybe he would like it better? I'm trying to think of what else he likes...my kid just likes to eat, so he hoovers in anything I give him lol

Maybe slice up some sweet potatoes and bake them into fries that he can hold onto?
jamieshalon2 likes this.

June 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
sweet potato fries YUM! I think I might do that for my girls soon. I second bunches of fruits and veggies that can either be mushed or blended chunky.

Lily is just now getting into food, but ONLY table food. lol She skipped the rice and the purees. Tonight she had some cheesy spaghetti casserole, mostly the sauce part. She still gagged on just that, too!
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

Daniel Constantine - July 19, 2016
Save
June 16th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
We give Brady everything too. I'm the same that I couldn't remember. So I was letting him try the bland versions of some things we were eating, i.e. Mashed potatoes, no gravy. Noodles, no spaghetti sauce, toast instead of garlic bread, etc. He would gag & choke (tonight he gagged so badly on mashed potatoes he threw them up) , so I figured that meant he wasn't ready. That was until I gave him a bite of of DH's fettuccini Alfredo. He devoured it. So the next night I gave him some potatoes & gravy...again basically licked the plate. He still is more sensitive to texture & has more of a sensitive gag reflex than my Camden did, but this little boy wants flavor! So I'm basically letting him eat everything I have unless there's a major allergy risk. Camden is allergic to red dye, so I've avoided that. No strawberries, eggs or honey. Everything else is now fair game even though it takes about 8 hours!

Last edited by Cccbb61013; June 16th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
June 16th, 2014, 10:33 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
We give phoebe a lot. She's been eating pieces since 6 months and even with no teeth can chew pretty well. Lately she has rejected the purees and wants our food so we tend to give her bites. I also steam broccoli (forever though!) until it is super soft and she loves that. I give her half a raspberry or blueberry. We did egg yolk and turkey and steak and she much preferred that to the jarred or even homemade purees.
June 17th, 2014, 04:32 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Christian is starting to turn away the jarred foods now too and wants some REAL food lol So far he hasn't had too much though, loves toast, cut up banana, mashed potato, mashed sweet potato, gerber puffs, mum mums, gerber yogurt melts, minigos. I need to start giving him more but he gags a lot more then my other 2 did as well so it makes me super nervous!! lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

June 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
sophie has no teeth at all and she eats what we eat for dinner unless it is pizza or mexican. She can't really chew those too well. Plus I am scared of the spices in mexican. We don't need an upset tummy. She loves beans of any kind, spaghetti noodles, fruits diced really small, potatoes, mashed or diced, shredded chicken, fish, carrots diced small after cooking them well, scrambled eggs. She is a piggy and eats just about everything. She didn't like mashed sweet potatoes, so we skip those now.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Leah
We have used jarred food to basically weed out potential allergies. Once we were getting him chewing, we started with soft, but solid stuff - avocado, peas, banana. He loves blueberries. I also found that the pouch stage 3 stuff was chunkier, I think it says textured on it. We also used mum mums to get his jaw really chewing, then puffs. Once I saw that he was moving that jaw, I felt better about table foods.

Rice, we've done regular rice too. Regular oatmeal. Applesauce. Potato. I'm still using pouches, stage 2 or above, to test allergies, but he'll eat the whole thing so I cut it in half and add something else that he's already had, or buy two.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
June 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ben eats anything you give him, even peaches which he seems to really dislike (faces, gagging, spitting) but asks for seconds?? Here is a list of things he eats now that I think you could try:

banana
avocado (or guacamole if you're lazy like me )
sliced up apples cut long ways to hold on to
sliced up oranges, lemons, etc
mashed potatoes
spaghetti squash
butternut squash mashed up
sweet potatoes mashed up
applesauce
hummus
breadsticks/pizza crust - something sturdy to hold on to and won't just crumble
mushed up pastas
beans and rice
celery sticks
cucumber slices

The only things he has gotten caught up on are peaches and pears (though he likes them in a pureed food packet), blueberries because of their little shells but the taste is ok..

GOod luck! Report back!
June 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I slice up and steam veggies for Henry (you could also roast), I have not introduced any dairy at all because he had a bad reaction to my breast milk when I was eating dairy. You could also do scrambled eggs, without adding milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search