any one ever use a doula or plan on using one this time around?

Forum: Due Date Club of December 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue_Jar_Mama
  • 1 Post By HeartHelloKitty
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By Kinsma90
  • 1 Post By BabyBirdies
  • 1 Post By Grá Mo Chroí
  • 1 Post By blessdmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of December 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2014, 05:01 PM
NaturalRadiance's Avatar Super Mommy
What was your experience? Was it worth it?How much are costs in your area?
How far in advance did you have to reserve or are you reserving?
What prenatal and postpartum services did/does the doula offer?
May 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked into it last time because it's a service my birthing center offers. But honestly, I labor so fast that I just didn't see the point. I'm like a 2 hours of less kind of mama and those two hours I am in transition so there is really no helping me. I am in my own zone and don't want anyone to talk to me or touch me. Kind of defeats the purpose of a doula. I felt I got enough support from my midwife in the pregnancy, a doula on top was not needed.
NaturalRadiance likes this.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

May 10th, 2014, 07:38 PM
NaturalRadiance's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah that's what I was wondering. There will be amidwife and birthing assistant. Was wondering if a doula might be over kill plus I want my SO to be involved and Idk if he'll feel pushed out by all those additional bodies there helping... but if I have a long labor I might want/need it... or if he chickens out and can't handle being up close and personal I might need it lol
May 10th, 2014, 07:43 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not last time because DH thought he could handle things himself as far as reminding me about interventions and such and I think that is why I ended up with a csection. It would've helped immensely to have someone there with some experience to ground us when we got scared so we didn't just blindly listen to the doctor when he pushed things like pitocin and an internal monitor.

May 10th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't. I was in so much pain for the last hour with Eli that I couldn't even stand my very loving, supportive husband to be close to me. It'll just be us again.
May 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
I looked into it but I don't see the point in paying someone a few hundred dollars to meet them like 2-3 times. I'm sure it is different in other areas but that is what the market looks like, here. They would still be a stranger to me and I would not feel comfortable with them in there. I didn't even want family in there. I wanted quiet and privacy.

I'm just going to have my friend be my "Facetime Doula" or "Skype Doula" b/c she lives on the other side of the country.

Other than that, DH will have to be enough. lol
NTNP 2/2012. TTC 7/2012. ATTC 1/2013. TTCMA 01/2014.
MA Cycle #1 400mg Prometrium. CD1 2/7. 50mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFN.
MA Cycle #2 CD1 4/3. 100mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFP 4/25 @ 3w2d.
EDD 1/6/15. Dx ICP @ 32wks. DS born 12/22/14 @ 37w5d.
May 11th, 2014, 10:02 AM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
I am planning on getting a doula - there is such a high rate of c-section everywhere in New York that I want all the help we can get. And as much as I love DH, I think another person who has more experience will be able to help.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

May 11th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Super Mommy
I might. I have a friend who is a doula, so I'm going to have a chat with her after we announce and see what she says.

Expecting Baby Boy 12/14/14!

May 12th, 2014, 06:38 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I hired a doula with my last pregnancy - (VB2C turned Cesarean cause of baby's heart rate). The cost was 500. We paid her 300 something to begin with, the 200 later, but the 200 was a gift, as she had agreed on a total price of 300 something.We didn't hire her till the 3rd trimester (we'd moved), and she did great. Stayed with me for 36 hrs of labor and did some midwifery type things for me (but an average doula WILL NOT do this!). She was studying to become a homebirth midwife and wanted to make sure all was well with me and the baby, cause I was going for a vb2c. She did some breastfeeding things after the baby was born. Well actually I told her to go home, because she'd been awake with little sleep for 3 days!

WORTH THE MONEY IMO!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

May 12th, 2014, 12:34 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, since I'm a doula, I think they are worth the money, LOL!. I do want to have one for this birth. I didn't last time, b/c I thought that since I was a doula, I'd know what I needed to know and wouldn't need one, but that turned out to be a mistake for me. Everything I knew flew out the window when I was in pain and I couldn't think clearly. The birth turned out fine but I had to do a lot of arguing with a really snarky nurse and wish I'd have had someone to help my mind stay clear and on track. DH seemed like a good choice for that role, but it's really unfair to expect him to keep me focused on the things I told him I wanted when I'm in a lot of pain and he feels torn between what I said I wanted and seeing me in distress. Even though it's pain with a purpose and even though it's all normal and perfectly fine. It's just a lot to put on him, a lot to expect him to remember and really, for me, I think I want someone professional for that type of stuff so DH can just be my physical support person and help me cope rather than being responsible for keeping my mind focused and on track.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search