Killian Rivers early arrival

One In A Minion

Our Minions are here and here are their birth stories!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By inyourhonor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To One In A Minion LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Killian Rivers
April 17th, 2014
Due May 14th, 2014, born at 36 weeks 1 day

April 17th started out for us just like any normal day. It was Thursday, we woke up to do the normal routine. I got Gage ready for school, everyone dressed and we were out the door to take him to school. Same routine as every other day. Dropped him off, gave him a hug and kiss and told him I'd be there for pick up, in the usual spot like I am every other school day. Little did I know, I wouldn't be.

After we dropped him off, Bishop, Dane and I decided to kill some time before dropping them off at my moms house to stay with my step-dad for my appointment, so we went to McDonalds to grab some hash browns and orange juice. It's close to our house but it would take enough time to have us waste the time before I had to drop them off. Ordered our food and headed home. Stopped by our house for a few minutes and then down the street to my parents house.

Dropped them off, stayed about 10 minutes before leaving to my usual 36 week check up. I had a growth scan before because of the fibroid I've had during the whole pregnancy. Having several other scans and measuring big, they wanted to keep an eye on it, this had become routine. Get to my Dr office, check in and sit down. The US tech was running about 20 minutes behind.

Finally get called back and she starts the usual measurements. The first words out of her mouth though surprised me "Did you know he's breech?" Huh?! At my last scan he was head down. So what we thought was his butt, turns out it was his head. Finds the fibroid at the top of my uterus and it had shrunk big time. Got to see baby boy, which was my favorite part, of course. The tech then got silent and after a few minutes, she asked me if I had been leaking any fluids. I told her I had been leaking, but just passed it off as the usual pregnancy stuff. I didn't think anything of it till she asked me the consistency of it and then how long. She then went silent again and spent a good 10 more minutes just measuring my amniotic fluids. After that, I noticed she started taking measurements of something else. I didn't know what it was, I didn't even ask. I knew that my OB would go over everything with me in a few minutes because my appointment was next.

She gave me my pictures of him and I went back out to wait. I texted Jason to let him know what I knew so far. That he was breech and it looks like I had low fluid. Didn't know the full extent of everything yet, just had this feeling something wasn't good.

Finally was called back to the room for my OB appointment. Did the usual pee, weight and BP. She had me get undressed from below because I was supposed to have my GBS swab that day and they were going to check my cervix. My OB came in and that's when everything fell apart.

She came in and the look on her face, wasn't a good one. She knew my wishes of wanting to have my 3rd VBAC. I fought hard for my first one, my 2nd was easy and even though we were in a hospital setting, she knew my feelings. Little did I know, things weren't going to go the way I had really planned and hoped for. She told me she had bad news. She told me to grab some tissue because she knew I'd be upset. Then she said she knew what I wanted, but that things didn't look good. Him first being breech, but the concerning parts were how very low my amniotic fluids were and that the other thing the tech was measuring, was his cord pressure. It was enhanced.

I don't know the exact details, I tried to understand it, but I couldn't get it. I had a hard time telling the Dr's later on what my OB told me. She explained that he was breech and if everything else looked okay, we could wait and monitor him. But since my fluids were not good and the cord pressure was enhanced, those factors together weren't good. If we chose to wait and see we could risk losing him. So those two things, plus adding in him being breech, it was not safe to try for another VBAC, it was too risky. I had 2 babies at home, I knew from the get-go in this pregnancy, that something in me said I needed to go to the hospital. Stupid me thought it was that silly fibroid. Little did I know my gut feeling would lead to this.

However, I'm very glad I listened to it. She told me, that there wasn't any point to see how things were progressing, that I was to leave immediately from her office and to be admitted to the hospital. This was SO much to take in and I felt like, I had NO time to do it. I left the office at 11:45am, I immediately called Jason to tell him he had to leave work I was being admitted to the hospital and we would be having a baby that night. He said okay and he'd meet me there. Thankfully he had just gotten back to the shop from being almost an hour away so he was only 10 minutes from the hospital like I was.

After getting off the phone with him, I called my mom and told her what was going on, since my step-dad had the other boys. I also told her I needed her to go pick up Gage from school and then I left for the hospital. Got there, parked and walked in. Found the front desk and told them my OB sent me over directly from her office and that I was to be admitted for a c-section that day. I was taken back to admitting and about 5 minutes later Jason was there.

We were taken up to the room and started to get settled in. I was not ready for anyt of this. Neither of us were. We had nothing really ready, we had our stuff, but nothing was washed, we had literally put together the crib 2 days before all this. No clothes were washed, no diapers were prepped, the seat wasn't installed. Nada. I got into the lovely hospital gown, the nurses came in, got all the info they needed and asked me the questions on why I was there, even though the OB office called ahead on me having to come. I told them all that I knew, which I couldn't elaborate to them.

Then we were left to wait. I had eaten at 9:30 that morning, so I had to wait 8 hours before they'd perform the surgery. I was hooked up to the monitors and given an IV. We were told that everything would happen around 5:30pm, possibly 6. So we had time to wait. My husband was still in his work clothes, my mom got Gage from school and took him to her house. Then came up to see me. Thankfully she did because she was able to go with Jason back home to gather stuff we needed because silly us, didn't have our hospital bag ready! He had to take his work van home and park it there, so she would follow him home, he'd grab our stuff and she'd bring him back.

While I waited for them to get back, I got on Facebook to kill time. This was seriously the longest wait ever. Between killing time on Facebook and watching pointless tv, I honestly thought the hours would never pass. We met with the anesthesiologists, the doctor from my OB office who'd be performing the surgery. Signed all the paperwork and all of that still didn't pass the time. Having all that time for the nerves and anxiety to build, stunk. It made it so much worse in fear than I would have thought or hoped. Jason was back and both of us just couldn't let it go. He paced and tried to keep busy.

The surgeon came in and we found out we were going to be waiting even longer. It was a rather busy night that night. Hello even worse anxiety! We found out I'd be going back at 8pm. I had been bumped back once but I was next. They got Jason his OR stuff, got me ready and prepped with what they could in the room, these things for my legs, catheter, all the fun stuff.

8pm finally came, they took me back first. Got my spinal going and then started their prepping. Finally Jason was able to come in and sit with me.

At 8:30pm exactly, Killian Rivers was born. He started crying immediately and even pooped and peed as he came out. He was 6lbs 3oz and 18 1/2 inches long.

They got his measurements and the anesthesiologists nurse took pictures for us. They wrapped him up and handed him over to Jason. I finally got to see him and he was gorgeous. They stayed for about 15 minutes while they worked on closing me up. Nearing the end, Jason took Killian back to our room and spent some time with him one on one. Then they finally took me back to the room so I could get that skin to skin and have mama time with him.

When we met with all the doctors and nurses earlier, we were warned because of his gestation, he may spend time in the special care nursery. We did skin to skin and tried to nurse, but he kept having this grunt. The nurse was concerned and called the nurse practitioner for the special care nursery down to check on him. His grunting wasn't good, they wanted to see if he'd slow down or stop within 15 minutes so he stayed in the warmer in the room to be monitored. It didn't work, it was labored so they took him to the SCN.

I've had nothing but late babies, this was a completely different experience for me. I always had my children right there with me, never away from me. Jason that night went to visit him, he was on oxygen flow, had an IV for sugar water fluids because he wasn't having any interest in feeding and was getting antibiotics. They took him at 10:30pm that night, when he was 2 hours old. I felt so confused, upset, sad and just wanted him there with us. He was supposed to be in our room with us, but he wasn't. We were told he would be able to when he came down to just needing the antibiotics, later on, we found out that wasn't going to happen.

He was born Thursday night. He was in the SCN till Sunday. Thankfully he progressed each day. We gave him almost every single feed. I pumped what I could even though it wasn't enough, so he got that plus the preemie formula. They set feeding goals, it started at 15mL, then 20mL, 25mL, 28mL and when we left they wanted him taking 38mL. Jason and I went for almost every feed, we only missed 2 over night ones. He was no longer needing our help to guide him on eating by Saturday night, he was doing it himself with just us starting him out and he was taking up to 40-44mL on his own!

He was taken to the SCN for his breathing issues and that was the first thing he weaned off of! Slowly they weaned him off the sugar water. He was off the air flow early Saturday morning and off the IV drip Saturday night. They took his feeding tube out as well early Saturday. The only thing left was the heplock for his antibiotics which he'd finish late Saturday night. Jason and I kept hoping to leave Sunday with him. I knew I was going to be discharged and we wanted him home with us. His biggest hurdle had been met, the oxygen.

We had issues with one SCN dr. She was very rude in response to our questions so we stopped talking to her all together. We only spoke with the nurses and NP when they were around.

Jason went to the SCN to give Killian two of his feeds, I stayed back in the room because I was very sore and tired, I wanted to go, but my body knew I needed the rest. So it was daddy baby time. He took pictures and showed me one to see if I could spot the difference. Very early Sunday morning, his hep-lock was out! We were SO excited. We knew he met his challenges. They were pushing to keep him in because of his eating. We stressed to them that we were there for almost very feed (minus those two late ones), we were capable of getting him to eat, keep him eating and getting him to take what they had wanted. Thankfully, the one nurse came to bat for us. I think it would have been a harder fought battle with taking him home on Sunday April 20th, had it not been for her. She was confident we could do what they wanted. So the NP agreed. A few conditions we had to meet though. Which was fine by us.

We agreed to a follow up the next day with his ped. They also wanted to do his car seat test, which he did right after the 2nd to last feed for the day in the hospital. They wanted him to have one more feed after that one (We were giving him one while having the discussion with the NP) she then wanted to check his bili levels. If those didn't raise, he took his feeds just fine and passed his car seat test, we were good to go. He did it all!

It was a hard four days, being away from our other 3 boys, not having Killian with using our room. The struggles in the beginning and knowing he was a fighter and he fought hard to get off of everything and quickly. We had many discussions on bringing him home if he was off everything and we were very set to do so one way or another. We knew the feeding was bull, we were capable and I'm so thankful we didn't have to go AMA. They listened to us, saw that we were capable of doing what was needed for him. He showed them he was ready as well.

We left the hospital at 4pm and we have been home since. He got a clean bill of health with his ped, his bili had gone up some but not enough to need another poke. He is on his routine that he followed in the SCN, he is eating like a champ. Between both breast milk and preemie formula. He is taking MORE than what they had hoped and suggested if he wants more, let him have it. He's taking about 50-60mL a feed. He is a sleepy baby, which is to be expected for how early he was. He fits in so well with us. I'm so thankful he is here and is healthy and safe. That is what mattered the most. Him being healthy and he is.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; April 27th, 2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out the odd spacing
April 28th, 2014, 02:13 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
I'm glad everything worked out so quickly for you to bring him home! Enjoy that little bundle of joy!

April 28th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran
So glad things worked out for you and he was able to come home when u wanted him to!
April 29th, 2014, 06:09 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you! I'm very glad we were able to bring him home. He's been doing great since! I can't believe he's almost 2 weeks also. Time is going too quickly.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 30th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Veteran
So glad you were able to bring him home! I bet the rest of the family was thrilled to have you all home. Glad he's doing well.
May 1st, 2014, 09:35 AM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
So happy for you! He's gorgeous by the way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search