I guess I had the biggest baby in the DDC. Titan baby Sophie Maries birth story!

One In A Minion

Our Minions are here and here are their birth stories!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Ellies_mom
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To One In A Minion LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Super Mommy
Well, I started feeling like something was wrong 2 days after my due date. Not sure what it was, just a feeling. Then as the days went on I could feel less and less movements so I knew something was going on. I had a drs appt on the wednesday and told my dr something was wrong with baby. He said shes overdue and showing no desire to come out so Ill phone the hospital and we'll book you in to be induced. He phoned me at home later that day and said that the hospital I was going to was unwilling to induce me until the following week. It was an hour away and he didnt have privileges there so he had to convince the OBs there that I needed to go in asap. He sent me for NSTs twice a day starting immediately and ordered an ultrasound for the following day.

At both NSTs the nurses were grouchy and told me that I was wasting my time coming in so often. Baby was active and fine. I couldnt feel very much movement anymore. It was weird seeing it on the monitor. The ultrasound was the same thing. The tech actually got mad at me for wasting her emergency spot that day for a "perfectly healthy baby". Later that day my doctor phoned and said that my fluid level was at 34 so I had polyhydroamniosis. A normal level is 10-20. Id had an ultrasound the week before and the levels were fine so I was gaining fluid fast. I was measuring 47 weeks on thursday and 48 weeks on friday when I went in. I literally felt like a water balloon...it was insane. An emergency csection was scheduled for the next day.

I arrived at 12pm the next day and got admitted and hooked up to monitors. Because of the fluid I was at high risk for the placenta detaching or a cord prolapse if my water broke. BUT.....I was stable and there were a lot of emergencies that night so my surgery ended up being bumped and bumped and bumped.....I hadnt been able to eat since the night before and by 11pm this day I was burning ketones. I was so crazy hungry and thirsty. I finally got in at 130am after being bumped for over 13 hours. Yay! I was now 8 days after my due date.

The spinal tanked my blood pressure down to 70/30 so I was vomiting and shaking uncontrollably for hours but the csection itself wasnt bad at all! They had talked to us prior to the surgery and explained that with the all the fluid and the size of the baby we would be lucky if she survived. They thought she had a serious heart problem that had been missed on the ultrasounds. They were also worried that when they opened me up the sudden whoosh of all the fluid might detach the placenta so they had two surgeons and two pediatricians all ready to scoop baby and run. They made a huge incision - hip to hip and when the one surgeon popped the amniotic sac the second reached in and grabbed baby real fast.

Surprisingly he was halfway through getting her out when she let out a loud cry! Everyone was surprised. He cut the cord and handed her off to the pediatricians who were impressed she was screaming so loud. She scored perfect on her apgars! A minute later they announced to the room that they were going to weigh her.....everyone stepped away from the table except the anesthetist - I was still having a hard time keeping my blood pressure up. Hello!!! Im still not sewn up...come back!! Lol.

She weighed in at 11lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long. 39.5cm head. Surprisingly even being so big she started out in newborn clothes and is still in them today at 11 days old. Apparently length is more important than weight! She had nurses popping in every hour monitoring her for blood sugar and a bunch of other stuff for the first 24 hours. The only issue she ever had was jaundice - not even enough for bili lights - and she had a tough time keeping her body temp up for about the first 12 hours. Other than that the baby we were told probably wouldnt survive was healthier than every other newborn on the ward.

I was up and showering 16 hours after the csection and by day 6 I had no pain at all. Healing from the surgery was apparently way easier than the pain I was in before I had my titan baby They found that her umbilical cord was twice as thick as a regular babies which was also noted with my first daughter years ago. So my kiddos get twice as much nutrients as a regular baby meaning they grow huge.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have a free hand. Right now Sophie is snuggling and I cant get to my phone lol!!

Last edited by Ellies_mom; June 4th, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
June 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
omg you poor thing... how could they go from "why do you keep coming in your baby is perfectly healthy" to "your baby probably isn't going to survive" in such a short time!!! I would have been furious and stressed to the max!!!

I am so happy to hear your update and how healthy she was/is. Shame on all of those people giving you a hard time! Mama knows best...

Gabriel was 9 pounds 7 ounces, and he got to wear literally 1 newborn outfit - because I more or less squeezed it on and wasn't going to take it off until I had to! I had the most problems with his shoulders being too big for newborn clothes - he somehow still fits into newborn pants. I guess he's going to be top heavy.

Enough about my kiddo, congrats again and thanks for sharing your story!!!

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
June 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Super Mommy
My first was 9lbs 6oz and never fit in a single newborn outfit. Sophies are still a bit big on her. I have no idea where shes fitting the 11lbs.......I totally think the length is what those clothes are based on. My first was longer than miss Sophie.
MommaBean18 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search