Labor

Forum: Due Date Club of January 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of January 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
So I know it is early and many first time mommies probably haven't even got this far in their heads, but my favorite part of pregnancy is labor and delivery.

First off for other mamas who aren't first timers, links to birth stories?

Second, what kind of birth do you want? (Home, hospital, birthing center?)
Do you want pain medication?
Are you a previous c-section mama? VBAC or repeat section?
Midwife or Doctor?
Any other labor stuff?

May 10th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Regular
My last was a c-section for frank breech. Looking back I wish I had 1)Done a version to try to flip baby 2)Waited to go into labor to both let baby pick her birthday and to see if she turned during labor 3)Listened to my instincts telling me my doctor was not supportive of natural birth.

I will be doing a VBAC and already found a doctor while I was ttc who supports natural/unmedicated birth, water birth, and VBAC- all of which I am pursuing. I am a doula. Midwives are illegal here or I would likely do a birthing center or homebirth.
Tiff802 and LJD3Tdance like this.
May 10th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
I delivered Rilyn naturally in hospital. Labored at home from 2am, got to hospital at 8am, was 8cm. Started pushing at 1015 and she was born at 1105. Went very well for me...hoping to repeat that with this one!!

May 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap Mom View Post
My last was a c-section for frank breech. Looking back I wish I had 1)Done a version to try to flip baby 2)Waited to go into labor to both let baby pick her birthday and to see if she turned during labor 3)Listened to my instincts telling me my doctor was not supportive of natural birth.

I will be doing a VBAC and already found a doctor while I was ttc who supports natural/unmedicated birth, water birth, and VBAC- all of which I am pursuing. I am a doula. Midwives are illegal here or I would likely do a birthing center or homebirth.
I'm just beyond amazed when I hear about midwives being illegal. I mean seriously, how can homebirth be illegal? It is illegal to do it the way women did it for generations? Okay then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overjoyed-new-mommy View Post
I delivered Rilyn naturally in hospital. Labored at home from 2am, got to hospital at 8am, was 8cm. Started pushing at 1015 and she was born at 1105. Went very well for me...hoping to repeat that with this one!!
I was 8cm when I got to the hospital with my first too. I haven't ever had the luck of repeating that, though I'm glad I haven't, with my 5th I went from 6cm to 10cm in 10 minutes after having been at a 6 forever...lol

So for me, I'm hoping to have my 6th vaginal delivery and my 4th without pain meds and I'd like it to be my first without any meds. I've had 2 epidurals and 3 inductions and 1 of my non-inductions they still used pitocin to progress things. I'd like this one to be totally on its own, but I'm not opposed to going for an induction if that's what happens in the end.

May 11th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
So I know it is early and many first time mommies probably haven't even got this far in their heads, but my favorite part of pregnancy is labor and delivery.

First off for other mamas who aren't first timers, links to birth stories?

Midwife or Doctor?
Any other labor stuff?
I had a very traumatic delivery with DD. It was honestly the worst day of my life. Taking her home from the hospital was the best. In retrospect, I probably should have sued for the termination of some of the staff. So, def not my favorite part. lol

We do not have any birthing centers anywhere near here. I will be high risk so not comfortable with a home birth. I'm also not a good candidate for vbac, so it is almost off the table. As far as I'm concerned, the labor is something horrible and horrifying that I have to go through to get my child.

I'm going to fight for a "gentle section" but it depends on the hospital policies in my area. I had plans of delayed cord cutting and 2 hours of skin to skin and nursing before bath and zero separation of mother and baby after bath/apgar. Section shattered all of that, so anything remotely natural I can get with a gentle section, I am going to fight for, even if it means changing doctors/hospitals and having to drive an hour.
NTNP 2/2012. TTC 7/2012. ATTC 1/2013. TTCMA 01/2014.
MA Cycle #1 400mg Prometrium. CD1 2/7. 50mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFN.
MA Cycle #2 CD1 4/3. 100mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFP 4/25 @ 3w2d.
EDD 1/6/15. Dx ICP @ 32wks. DS born 12/22/14 @ 37w5d.
May 11th, 2014, 01:21 AM
I've never heard the term gentle section before, is that different then just a planned c-section?

May 11th, 2014, 03:54 AM
MusicFanatic79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've definitely thought of it, because I'm scared to death
Anyway.
I'm doing a hospital birth.
I'm in a practice with both midwives and OB's- you can choose either, but you end up with an OB if you're high risk. I chose the midwives, there's 3 in the practice and I rotate among them. I do get to choose which one I want to have during delivery, but they like you to see all 3 just in case.
I'd like to avoid pain medication because a) I'm deathly afraid of a needle in my back and B) I want to see if I can do it. I have a high tolerance for pain, but I know labor/delivery isn't comparable to any pain I've experienced, so...
I'm definitely thinking of it, though, looking at options, researching, etc.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 11th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so incredibly sorry when I read about others that have had a bad experience with their births. Kinsma, your story breaks my heart I am so sorry!

So, I am a bit birth obsessed! With my first I had a horrible experience and after that I went crazy making sure that I would never have an experience like that again. So, I am going to link my birth stories, I haven't read them in awhile but I do remember putting something along the lines of having a natural birth as God intended. I want you all to know that I meant that for myself (my first was filled with unnecessary interventions) and if there ever is a time where I need a doctor I will not hesitate to use one. I feel it's worth a million dollars to research and find the doctor that fits your exact wants and needs for YOUR pregnancy and birth, whether you desire a natural birth or a c-section. Having a proper care and like minded professional makes all the difference.

So, with my second I had a waterbirth in a hospital with a fantastic midwife!
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...h-w-video.html (Hypnobabies Hospital Waterbirth w/ video)

My third I had a wonderful home birth with a different fantastic midwife. Home birth with a midwife is illegal in the state of GA but actually giving birth at home is not. Doing it again this time. Can't wait to start the practice again!!!! I love those ladies!!!! LOVE this birth!!!
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...elizabeth.html (Hypnobabies Home Birth of Nola Elizabeth)

AND last but not lease, my most proud video EVER. I still watch it at least once a year on Nola's birthday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBn7FI0oEis

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

May 11th, 2014, 07:23 AM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
I'm doing another hospital birth, hopefully another easy vaginal delivery. I wanted to do no epidural last time, because, like Erika, I thought I had a high tolerance for pain until I got to 7 cm dilated, last minute to get an epidural, and I did. After that, it was smooth sailing and so easy. But i really want to do no epidural this time, I was so close last time.

LJD3Tdance, is the experience/sensation of pushing baby out way more intense without an epidural? Does the epidural totally numb you, because I do remember feeling dd come out, but I just want to know how it feels without an epidural! What did I miss out on last time???

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
May 11th, 2014, 07:45 AM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
Tiff....WOW!!! Your birthing videos have me all teary-eyed and choked up now! They are truly amazing! What an indescribable experience! Thanks so much for sharing them!
Tiff802 likes this.

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
May 11th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticbythesea01 View Post
Tiff....WOW!!! Your birthing videos have me all teary-eyed and choked up now! They are truly amazing! What an indescribable experience! Thanks so much for sharing them!
Thank you!!! They make me cry still every time too
rusticbythesea01 likes this.

See my growing belly!

May 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Tiff, I watched every second of your video! It had me teary eyed!! that was absolutely beautiful and precious.

Do you mind to share (when you have time) some of the reasons why your first experience was so horrible?? (you can do through PM if you wish?). I know for me, as a first timer, it's not only wise to read about all the good when I'm doing my research, but it's good for me (personally) to hear the bad. Not to freak me out or scare me, but to help teach me... if that makes sense.

Loved reading your birth stories!

May 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFanatic79 View Post
Tiff, I watched every second of your video! It had me teary eyed!! that was absolutely beautiful and precious.

Do you mind to share (when you have time) some of the reasons why your first experience was so horrible?? (you can do through PM if you wish?). I know for me, as a first timer, it's not only wise to read about all the good when I'm doing my research, but it's good for me (personally) to hear the bad. Not to freak me out or scare me, but to help teach me... if that makes sense.

Loved reading your birth stories!
Sure, I don't mind. First, I should have know that the doctor I chose was all about his schedule and not really caring about his patients when I brought up the possibility of not getting the epidural around my 30th week. He cut me off and told me, "believe me, you are not going to want to NOT get the epidural, childbirth is painful and there is no need to go through the major discomfort when you can get the epidural" and addressed it no further. A couple of days before my due date he did an ultrasound and he said the baby could be 8 or 9 lbs and that it would be safer to go ahead and induce so that the baby doesn't get too big. I addressed my concerns of a c-section happening if I induce when the baby isn't ready and he told me that I would be increasing the chances if I didn't induce. So, being the naive first time mom that I was I went ahead and agreed to it. He wanted to give me cytotec, which is bad, bad news. The research I did on this had me so scared. The reason I did the research is because I had to sign a consent form stating I wouldn't hold him or the hospital reliable if these horrible things happened because of this horrible drug. I SIGNED IT anyway! So, when I went in to be induced, the protocol (for him) was that I get to the hospitial at midnight the night before, the nurse inserts cytotec, he gets there the next morning, breaks my water and starts pitocin. All of that happened except, by the grace of God, the nurse said I had steady contractions that night and she was afraid to use the cytotec. The OB was angry the next morning and went off on the nurse right there in front of me the next morning. I labored naturally for 6 hours. Things were getting intense, I was at 6 cm when the anesthesiologist came in and asked, for the 3rd time if I wanted him yet and I had turned him down every time before. This time he told me, "Look, I am going into a few surgeries and will be unable to get to you for the next 3 hours so I strongly suggest you make a decision now." So I caved and there was a sweet nurse there trying to secretly encourage me, like she was afraid for someone to over hear her. It was strange, but she was so sweet telling me I could really do it and that I was handling it wonderfully. But at that time I was vulnerable. So, there was what they called a hot spot and I felt every contraction super intense in my abdomen with the epidural. But my legs were totally numb that I couldn't budge them at all. 6 hours later I was complete and ready to begin pushing. The doctor came in (I have all of this on video and honestly didn't know that he did all of this until I watched it back). He sat down, told me to push, gave me an episiotomy without asking, I pushed 3 times, he told me how great of a pusher I was (I couldn't feel a thing down below, but I knew that everytime there was a contraction and the harder I pushed the pain would pretty much go away). So, after about maybe 5 minutes of pushing, he uses a vacuum to get my baby out, which was completely uncalled for and he was so rough with him. Oh, yeah, they told me I had Group B Strep (GBS) even though they never mentioned it before and put me on antibiotics which I felt was a lie and unnecessary, but that's an entirely different story. This was a horrible doctor and practice, but at that time I lived in a very small town with very little choices. Anyhow, he had no respect for me or my wishes and I feel, because of all of these medications they put me on during the labor (antiobiotics, pitocin, stadol and epidural), my son was born with a fever of 101 and then in turn had him on antibiotics for the first 48 hours of his life. Plus, they vaccinated him with that fever as well. Kieron was a VERY sick child up until 18 months old when I was able to quit my job and stay at home. He was hospitalized on 2 different occasions and I truly feel it all stemmed back to the birth. AND, I don't care what they say, you should never do the whole purple face, yelling in your face, pushing. It WILL give you hemorrhoids from hell! I had one the size of a golf ball and it took me 4 months to heal after birth! Oh, and he was only 7 lbs, 14 oz. My other 2 delivered at over 9 lbs, healthy and naturally. Sorry for the book. And I know this story may not sound traumatic to some people but it was for me.

See my growing belly!

May 11th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Oh I'm so so sorry! That does sound horrible, especially when your birth meant something to you. Horrible that they didn't listen to you and did things without permission- I hate that that happens to so many.

I'm very thankful I'm doctor picky, I think it will help me. I learned the hard way with a GP I had once. Obviously not with pregnancy/child birth.. but I was always brushed off after I brought in my own research on things. One time I was diagnosed with something that I think was complete crap and I said "are you sure? I'd like a second opinion" and I seriously got "who has the medical degree? If you need a second opinion, feel free to leave this office and find a new doctor" .. I seriously dropped my jaw. He was always right and you could NEVER question him. And he tried to put me on SO MANY antibiotics all the time. Like you, I almost felt vulnerable and nervous? But eventually I spoke up, then I got so fed up that I left that practice completely. Now I interview all my doctors and I'm super picky. I'm SO happy with the midwife practice I have right now. I'm hoping that helps. I've also learned to speak up and I'm NOT afraid to do so, so I hope that helps me too. And even as a first timer, I'm HUGE on research. So I'll research things to death.. I'm very well informed, even if I haven't been through it. Hopefully it ALL helps me.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing. I'm so happy your following births were so much better!

May 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM
3plus3's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Midwife or Doctor?
Any other labor stuff?
I would love to be able to deliver with a midwife in a birthing center, but I'm high risk due to hypertension. All 5 of my births have been inductions w/epidurals and vaginal deliveries. Anticipating the same this go around too.
May 11th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
Quote:
I've never heard the term gentle section before, is that different then just a planned c-section?
There is more info on google but they basically try to make it as much like a birth and less like a surgery as possible. You can actually watch your child be born, and you'll have immediate skin to skin.
NTNP 2/2012. TTC 7/2012. ATTC 1/2013. TTCMA 01/2014.
MA Cycle #1 400mg Prometrium. CD1 2/7. 50mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFN.
MA Cycle #2 CD1 4/3. 100mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFP 4/25 @ 3w2d.
EDD 1/6/15. Dx ICP @ 32wks. DS born 12/22/14 @ 37w5d.
May 11th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFanatic79 View Post
Oh I'm so so sorry! That does sound horrible, especially when your birth meant something to you. Horrible that they didn't listen to you and did things without permission- I hate that that happens to so many.

I'm very thankful I'm doctor picky, I think it will help me. I learned the hard way with a GP I had once. Obviously not with pregnancy/child birth.. but I was always brushed off after I brought in my own research on things. One time I was diagnosed with something that I think was complete crap and I said "are you sure? I'd like a second opinion" and I seriously got "who has the medical degree? If you need a second opinion, feel free to leave this office and find a new doctor" .. I seriously dropped my jaw. He was always right and you could NEVER question him. And he tried to put me on SO MANY antibiotics all the time. Like you, I almost felt vulnerable and nervous? But eventually I spoke up, then I got so fed up that I left that practice completely. Now I interview all my doctors and I'm super picky. I'm SO happy with the midwife practice I have right now. I'm hoping that helps. I've also learned to speak up and I'm NOT afraid to do so, so I hope that helps me too. And even as a first timer, I'm HUGE on research. So I'll research things to death.. I'm very well informed, even if I haven't been through it. Hopefully it ALL helps me.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing. I'm so happy your following births were so much better!
Oh no, that sucks! Some doctors have a major God complex and it really is sad so many fall victim. That's so great you love your practice and that you do lots of research! I really wish I was like that with my first, but yes, so glad the following births were wonderful experiences! Thank you!

See my growing belly!

May 11th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff802 View Post
I am so incredibly sorry when I read about others that have had a bad experience with their births. Kinsma, your story breaks my heart I am so sorry!

So, I am a bit birth obsessed! With my first I had a horrible experience and after that I went crazy making sure that I would never have an experience like that again. So, I am going to link my birth stories, I haven't read them in awhile but I do remember putting something along the lines of having a natural birth as God intended. I want you all to know that I meant that for myself (my first was filled with unnecessary interventions) and if there ever is a time where I need a doctor I will not hesitate to use one. I feel it's worth a million dollars to research and find the doctor that fits your exact wants and needs for YOUR pregnancy and birth, whether you desire a natural birth or a c-section. Having a proper care and like minded professional makes all the difference.

So, with my second I had a waterbirth in a hospital with a fantastic midwife!
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...h-w-video.html (Hypnobabies Hospital Waterbirth w/ video)

My third I had a wonderful home birth with a different fantastic midwife. Home birth with a midwife is illegal in the state of GA but actually giving birth at home is not. Doing it again this time. Can't wait to start the practice again!!!! I love those ladies!!!! LOVE this birth!!!
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...elizabeth.html (Hypnobabies Home Birth of Nola Elizabeth)

AND last but not lease, my most proud video EVER. I still watch it at least once a year on Nola's birthday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBn7FI0oEis
Do you have any suggestions for researching a doctor. I loved the midwife who did my last birth so much, but she's left the practice and I don't want to go back to the doctor I was at before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticbythesea01 View Post
I'm doing another hospital birth, hopefully another easy vaginal delivery. I wanted to do no epidural last time, because, like Erika, I thought I had a high tolerance for pain until I got to 7 cm dilated, last minute to get an epidural, and I did. After that, it was smooth sailing and so easy. But i really want to do no epidural this time, I was so close last time.

LJD3Tdance, is the experience/sensation of pushing baby out way more intense without an epidural? Does the epidural totally numb you, because I do remember feeling dd come out, but I just want to know how it feels without an epidural! What did I miss out on last time???
With my first I could still feel her come out even with the epi, but I didn't get like the "ring of fire" they talk about or any of that. With my second I couldn't feel anything, the whole epidural experience was terrible with him, when I could feel and when I couldn't.

The feeling of pushing out my 3rd was not bad and it was super quick. He was my best labor. My 4th they never let me push, nothings worse than not being allowed to push, ever. Then with my 5th I had more of a slightly normal pushing as it lasted 8 minutes (that's super fast compared to my first), which was long enough to experience all the feelings. It was not the worst part of the labor though. It was an intense pain, but I knew it was the ending, so it was okay.
rusticbythesea01 likes this.

May 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I'll post all 5 of my birth stories, but I'm a slacker so I'll do it one at a time...I've written this better since then, but this is the original version of my birth story written when she was 2.5 for my oldest:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...rth-story.html (Courtney's birth story)
Tiff802 likes this.

May 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for researching a doctor. I loved the midwife who did my last birth so much, but she's left the practice and I don't want to go back to the doctor I was at before then.
I have always done a lot of my research on the Mothering.com boards in the "moms in your area" section (use to be "find your tribe") a lot has changed over there I guess, I just checked it out for the first time in years. lol.
Moms In Your Area
You can do a more detailed search in your area or ask the ladies on there who they recommend. That site never failed me when I was looking for natural minded midwifes and pediatricians. Once I found a few suggestions I researched them online, those that I seemed to like most I planned a meeting with them (some met with me over the phone and some in person) but I made a list of important questions I had like what is their c-section rate, will they personally be on call for my birth or will it be one of 5 people, how far past my due date will you let me go before suggesting an induction, am I allowed to labor without an IV, etc. (of course these are midwife questions that delivered at the hospital) At that point I pretty much knew what their answers would be but I was really just seeing who was a good match personality wise.

I am not sure what state you are in but we have a GA Birth Network here and it lists tons of great midwives, doulas, really anything birth related.

If you can't find recommendations I would just start setting up interviews. There is a pretty big birth support group here and everyone is so willing to help everyone, it's great. Let me know how the search is going!!!

See my growing belly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search