First Midwife Appoitnment

Forum: Due Date Club of January 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By HazelMom
  • 1 Post By raisinguprural
  • 1 Post By Saradiane1990
  • 1 Post By anguisette
  • 1 Post By Kasey.Allen23

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of January 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran
I had my first appointment with my midwife on Thursday at 10w4d.

The appointment was pretty uneventful and she just took down my history and tested my blood and discussed my risk of gestational diabetes because I am 1/2 Native.

But then she attempted to use the doppler and nothing! This really freaks me out because I have had three losses in the past and no live children.

I did have an ultrasound at 7w3d because of spotting and I saw the heartbeat at that scan but now I will not have my next scan until July 17th and I am a little sad right now that something could be wrong.

Is it common to not always hear the heartbeat at 10w4d?

wife for 12 years to Derek
mum to fur babies Zappa (5), Dweezil (7), and Gracie May (10)
expecting my first.

July 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
((HUGS)) Yes, this is very common! Most doctors don't even try the Doppler until 12 weeks because of this exact reason. As a fellow loss momma, I understand why this is scary. I actually have my own Doppler and start trying to listen at 10 weeks, but am not always successful. With this pregnancy I have heard it daily starting at 10w5d, but some days it can take almost 20 minutes to hear it for only a split second. It is hard not to worry, but try to stay positive. More ((HUGS))!
BFP#1: 8/11, DS born sleeping at 19 weeks
BFP#2: 5/12, our rainbow, DS born 1/4/13
BFP#3: 11/13, missed miscarriage discovered at 10 weeks
BFP#4: 5/17, EDD 1/15/15, praying this is our second rainbow
July 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
HazelMom's Avatar Emily
This just happened to me very recently! I learned from all the ladies on here that it's really common this early, and in many cases everything is fine. In my case the OB tried with the Doppler on me last week and found nothing, and then when I had an ultrasound today the baby was doing well.

Hang in there mama, and I hope everything goes really well on July 17th!
Tiff802 likes this.

2/14/14 - 6 weeks

Expecting a little girl on Jan 23rd, 2015!

July 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very common. At my first appointment I was about 9.5 weeks and I asked then to try because if we could hear it, I wanted to! But I knew it was a very slim chance, and of course, it was too early!

Try not to stress about it, if they were concerned, they would have sent you off for an u/s right away!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

July 7th, 2014, 10:37 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This happened to me today as well. I'm 10w5d all he could find on the doppler was my heartbeat. We went down the hall and did an ultrasound and baby was in there wiggling all around, arms and legs going like crazy. Dr said he was moving around so much that the doppler couldn't pinpoint it. Even on the ultrasound, the Dr was trying to get a view of the heart so we could see it beating (even though he said a moving baby always means there's a heartbeat, obviously lol) and little booger wasn't having it. We'd see it beat a few times and Dr had to chase him down again.

Try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

July 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hear it's common! But, that's still stressful especially if you've had a loss! Hang in there mama and hope everything goes great on your next apt
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

July 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
I actually had an appointment today. 12w4d and my midwife still couldn't get a heartbeat with the Doppler. Did they happen to mention if your uterus was retroverted or tipped at all? I have a retroverted uterus and she checked today and it still hasn't tipped up yet so that is why we couldn't get a hb on the Doppler. We did an u/s and baby is well and heart is beating away. I am a loss mommy as well so I know the stress. Huge hugs! I bet nothing is wrong at all.

July 8th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran
Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement it makes me feel less alone and is quite reassuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopingfor1soon View Post
I actually had an appointment today. 12w4d and my midwife still couldn't get a heartbeat with the Doppler. Did they happen to mention if your uterus was retroverted or tipped at all? I have a retroverted uterus and she checked today and it still hasn't tipped up yet so that is why we couldn't get a hb on the Doppler. We did an u/s and baby is well and heart is beating away. I am a loss mommy as well so I know the stress. Huge hugs! I bet nothing is wrong at all.
I have no idea! No one has ever mentioned anything about the positioning of my uterus!
Hopingfor1soon likes this.

expecting my first.

July 8th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinguprural View Post
I had my first appointment with my midwife on Thursday at 10w4d.

The appointment was pretty uneventful and she just took down my history and tested my blood and discussed my risk of gestational diabetes because I am 1/2 Native.

But then she attempted to use the doppler and nothing! This really freaks me out because I have had three losses in the past and no live children.

I did have an ultrasound at 7w3d because of spotting and I saw the heartbeat at that scan but now I will not have my next scan until July 17th and I am a little sad right now that something could be wrong.

Is it common to not always hear the heartbeat at 10w4d?
I've heard it's very common! I had my nurse appt today and see the doc on Thursday, I'll be 11-13 wks (need dating ultrasound) and she said not to be worried if they don't find the heartbeat. My scan is July 17 too good luck!
raisinguprural likes this.

Sara Diane
First time momma

July 9th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran
They don't even try to find the heartbeat with a doppler here at this stage because of these sort of concerns; I think it's generally quite unreliable so early on.

That said, obviously you're worried & I'm glad some of the ladies here have managed to reassure you. I hope the wait til the 17th is not too long for you and that you have a great ultrasound next week
July 10th, 2014, 07:42 PM
its very common not to hear a heartbeat by doppler until at least 12 weeks but sometimes longer. I know its hard I have experienced losses too but the less you can stress the better the outcome. I experienced two losses and three IUI treatments before my husband and I became pregnant on our own and kept the pregnancy with holistic medicines and I am now pregnant with my third baby and just made it out of the crucial first trimester. Hang in there and I will say a prayer for you!
July 11th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Veteran
Thank you ladies!

expecting my first.

July 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I've not ever miscarried and I've often not had them find it at that gestation.

July 12th, 2014, 05:36 PM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
I had that happen at 13 wks and she had tried for a long time and with two different dopplers! It is hard to find it when they are still small. There's so much room for them in there!

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
July 12th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Jeany
Maybe it depends on the quality of the doppler, or the person being patient enough to look for it

July 12th, 2014, 09:27 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i just foudn the heart beat for the first time on doppler and I am 12 weeks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search