Daily Dish 8/18

Forum: Due Date Club of January 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of January 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Rach333's Avatar Rachel, mom to 4 boys
What are your top must-have items that you're putting on your registry or your to-buy list?

Been there done that moms, what items have you used that you didn't like?
August 18th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We're reusing pretty much everything from DD, but DH wants a new crib. We got a second hand one before and for whatever reason, he wants a different one this time.

My must haves are new bedding (already picked it out, just haven't bought it) and a new baby carrier. Other than that, we'll just start getting everything out of the attic after we clean out the guest room and paint it for the baby's room.

I didn't get/buy anything really that I didn't use the first time except baby shoes. People bought our DD little tiny baby shoes and let's be real...they don't really wear those, LOL

August 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to need a new baby carrier/car seat. Mine is 6 years old, and will be expired when baby comes I'm hoping I can trade it in at babies r us when they do their trade-in event... whenever that is. Problem is that it was part of a stroller combo, so I'm pretty sure I'd have to trade in the whole thing. I'm not sure how the trade-in thing works, or how much I'll get back on it.... but I'm dearly hoping it's enough for a new travel system, even if it's a cheaper one. I just cannot afford a whole new system at the moment. My only other option is to just buy a new carrier and keep my stroller. But then I'd be buying the carrier still, which is going to be a pita and expensive.

If this baby is a boy, I'm pretty much screwed on alot of things, lol. Not on everything, but there's definitely some things that will need to be replaced.

I'm also considering a rock n play, the sleeper one. I used a bouncer with DD, and she napped in that thing like crazy. I want the rock n play though for more than just napping, but it looks like it's exactly what I need, rather than a bouncer.

I'm definitely not doing the diaper pail thing. What a complete waste those things are. They get sinky and they're a PITA to clean. I'll just use a regular trash and the dirty diapers can go out with it. I tried both the diaper genie and the diaper champ. Both were terrible. YUCK!

Also, wipes warmer is completely useless. And I agree, little shoes... not needed at all.

August 18th, 2014, 08:55 AM
AmyGail's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My must have is the car seat/stroller combo and my mom already said she is buying that for us.

Baby Stonehawk Warrior due January 12th!!!

My name is Amy ~ Mommy to 3
Treston, 20 ~ Tanner, 15 ~ Lali, 4
My little angel babies~ lost 10/2013 @ 7w1d (June DDC) & 3/2014 @ 8w2d (Oct DDC)
August 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your top must-have items that you're putting on your registry or your to-buy list?

I had to buy another space saver high chair (one of my favorite things we got for DD2), however, a friend was selling their chair at a very low price, so I got lucky and bought theirs! We don't really need much else, although I am thinking of getting a rock n play, just not sold on it yet. I like that it doesn't take up much space, where our bassinet does.

Been there done that moms, what items have you used that you didn't like?

I did not like the wipe warmer, pointless to me. I also don't care for the sleep sacks, but I think I am a weirdo in that department, nor do I like the nightgowns, they never seem to stay down on baby.

August 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
I didn't get/buy anything really that I didn't use the first time except baby shoes. People bought our DD little tiny baby shoes and let's be real...they don't really wear those, LOL
I agree that you don't NEED baby shoes - but they are oh so much fun! DD1 had 51 pairs of shoes between NB to size 2 and wore them all the time. I loved shoes though and so cheap if you buy at yard sales or big lots off ebay.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

August 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Rach333's Avatar Rachel, mom to 4 boys
I either already have most of what I need or my sister is giving it to me but I must have some aden & anais blankets. I'm thinking about getting a rock n play too.

I did not like the diaper genie. They still stink, they're a pain sometimes to operate and refills are pricey. I had once since my first son but didn't even use it with my second and third.
August 18th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your top must-have items that you're putting on your registry or your to-buy list? I need a travel system or maybe a sit 'n stand stroller. I mainly need a new car seat really - I could buy a nice used stroller. I need a new breast pump also. Other than that a few smaller things. Playpen sheets are a big thing as I doubt we'll get a house before this LO is born so baby will be in the playpen and I want to at least make it look nice.

Been there done that moms, what items have you used that you didn't like? I like and / or tried to use most things I got. I didn't use the bath sling that much. DD1 was washed in sink at the beginning and then was able to lay in a tub with shallow water. I agree with the gowns and sleepsacks - never worked for us and hated them! I did use swaddles though and DD1 loved them.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

August 18th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
I also don't care for the sleep sacks, but I think I am a weirdo in that department, nor do I like the nightgowns, they never seem to stay down on baby.
Oh man I loved the swaddle me sacks when DD1 was an infant. She looked like a little mental patient wrapped in them, but she slept great. I agree about nightgowns though. I hated those at the baby and pre-potty trained stage. Now DD1 wears nightgowns all the time and looks so cute in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
I agree that you don't NEED baby shoes - but they are oh so much fun! DD1 had 51 pairs of shoes between NB to size 2 and wore them all the time. I loved shoes though and so cheap if you buy at yard sales or big lots off ebay.
51 pairs of shoes!! lol. Brynlee did have baby shoes and she did wear them sometimes, but I mostly mean the newborn ones. She definitely did not wear shoes for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach333 View Post
I did not like the diaper genie. They still stink, they're a pain sometimes to operate and refills are pricey. I had once since my first son but didn't even use it with my second and third.
I forgot about the diaper genie. We used it all the time at first, but boy was it a pain. We finally just used the regular trash can in her room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
What are your top must-have items that you're putting on your registry or your to-buy list? I need a travel system or maybe a sit 'n stand stroller. I mainly need a new car seat really - I could buy a nice used stroller. I need a new breast pump also. Other than that a few smaller things. Playpen sheets are a big thing as I doubt we'll get a house before this LO is born so baby will be in the playpen and I want to at least make it look nice.
I was looking at the sit 'n stand strollers. We have a travel system car seat combo that hasn't expired yet so I plan to just reuse that and DD1 typically just walks, but trips to like the zoo and stuff...she walks for a bit and rides in the umbrella stroller. So I am not sure if I will invest in the sit 'n stand or not. I also have to get a breast pump. If you have insurance, you can get it covered through them. You just need a RX from your OB.

August 18th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Hmm things I need are a new infant car seat because our dog chewed up kristiana's grrrr I think that is pretty much it, if this peanut is a boy I might need some more clothes because last year I gave quite a bit away to a family that had just moved to vermont from Texas and they were so unprepared for our colder climate. I did keep some though I will have to go through my bins to see what I have.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

August 18th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
The only things of DD's we liked enough to use again with this baby are some of her clothes, her mattresses, and her True Fit convertible car seat (and we only plan to use that for the gap between infant seat and forward facing).

Everything else, like her crib, her bath, her Snugabunny RnP, swing, and bouncer, we hated and sold on CL. We don't use a stroller or a walker. Other stuff we are buying new just b/c we want the baby to have new ones, like diapers, bedding, and bottles - plus the PnP b/c she peed the changing table part and it got a hole in the mesh anyway, so getting this baby a fresh one. haha

So far we have bought the crib, the maxi cosi mico infant car seat, the bath, the diapers, the pacis (just in case), clothes, sleep sacks, and towels.

Still on my list are the swing, PnP (for travel b/c we spend a weekend every 2 months at my mom's 600 miles away), crib rail wraps, bath thermometer, mesh bumper, extra sheets, baby book, EBM storage system, pump (Aetna covers 100%), bottles, nipple shields, nursing pillow, milestone stickers, ergo, high chair, shopping cart cover, jumperoo, video monitor, Scout, seat positioner and diaper bag.

After reading the comments, I'll add that I LOVE sleep sacks and had one on DD every time she slept - but HATE gowns. I won't even put them on my babies.
NTNP 2/2012. TTC 7/2012. ATTC 1/2013. TTCMA 01/2014.
MA Cycle #1 400mg Prometrium. CD1 2/7. 50mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFN.
MA Cycle #2 CD1 4/3. 100mg Clomid CD 3-7. BFP 4/25 @ 3w2d.
EDD 1/6/15. Dx ICP @ 32wks. DS born 12/22/14 @ 37w5d.
August 18th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Jeany
I'm mostly reusing, I plan to trade in ds stroller and infant car seat and stroller set for an updated car seat and possibly a double stroller. My son will be 2 when second baby is born so I don't know what to so. I'm team green, so if it's a girl I'm shopping for cute girly outfits

August 19th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
Well if baby is a girl she will need a whole new wardrobe, bows, etc... Lol We also need to get a new bedding set either way and either a new crib or a PAC and play depending what we do with baby at my MILs while we r at work. Most of what we need is small stuff other wise. Oh a new diaper bag too.

Must haves with DS were our bouncer, boppy, and play mat. Oh and his car seat cover being a winter baby.

Things we didn't use were our swing (he hated it), sleep sacks, we used our diaper pail for a while but it was still stinky so quit, and our walker. He just used a jumper/play seat and push toys.

[/url]
August 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Regular
Since this is my first we need EVERYTHING. *sigh*

DH and I decided that we want to invest in a good crib, carseat, & stroller. We feel like these are the only things we don't have to/want to buy/borrow used because we're hoping that we will have one or two more children after this little one so if we invest now we can use the crib, carseat, and stroller for our next babies.

For a carseat we both really like the KeyFit 30 but I'm going to research a little more before we officially decide. As for a stroller I want the Fuze Stroller from Summer Infant. It comes with a universal carseat adapter and apparently does very well on all terrain (which is important since we tend to walk on a lot of trails here) and the seat can face two different ways.

I'm glad some of you moms brought up the wipes warmer and diaper genie... I was thinking about how necessary it really is? I'm glad none of you recommend them. My older SIL hated hers and ended up selling it at their garage sale when my niece was still an infant. Also while we're at home at least we're going to try cloth diapering and then using disposable while we're out so having a diaper genie would be pointless for us.

Two questions for you BTDT moms -

One.... how necessary is a pack n play? We would only use it when we go out, stay at family's houses, for camping, etc but I'm not in love with pack n plays tbh... is there any alternatives?

Two - Have any of you used the baby bullet or something similar? I plan on making my own baby food but I'm curious if we should invest in a baby bullet or just use the blender/food processor we already own?
August 19th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran
I am not sure what I really need. I haven't really looked in to it yet. My must-haves I would say are cloth diapers and a car seat.

wife for 12 years to Derek
mum to fur babies Zappa (5), Dweezil (7), and Gracie May (10)
expecting my first.

August 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon_renardeau View Post
Two questions for you BTDT moms -

One.... how necessary is a pack n play? We would only use it when we go out, stay at family's houses, for camping, etc but I'm not in love with pack n plays tbh... is there any alternatives?

Two - Have any of you used the baby bullet or something similar? I plan on making my own baby food but I'm curious if we should invest in a baby bullet or just use the blender/food processor we already own?

1. We used the pac and play a lot, but we travel a lot too. We will also use it now because my MIL is my babysitter and will need something for baby to sleep in while he/she is there. Another alternative to look into may be the Rock and Play possibly? It really just depends on how much you would use it. I also used it when DS got older and could crawl or pull up but not walk to keep him contained if I needed to use the bathroom or take a shower quick cook dinner etc...

2. I dabbled in making my own baby food, but only a little bit. I just used my own food processer but I have heard great things about the baby bullet if you plan to use it for everything... like I said I just dabbled a bit so really our food processor was all I needed.

[/url]
August 19th, 2014, 04:41 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't have much to buy this time, just things like new pacis, bottle nipples, his own stuffed animals, a baby book, etc.

Things I wouldn't buy again are a freakin high chair, my son sat in his maybe twice and hated it! Instead we used the bumbo, and a chair that clipped right to the table. I got a graco snugride35 car seat, and wished I had a smaller one, technically my son at 2-1/2 would still fit in it, no need to get one that big. Skip the diaper genie, and get a diaper champ instead, it takes regular garbage bags and we still use it now, while the diaper genie sits empty. Oh and waterproof mattress pads, all of ours melted in the dryer. We have a waterproof mattress itself, so I cut all the plastic off. We literally have 5 sets of crib sheets and cheap mattress pads. It may seem like over kill, but nights up puking and leaking diapers are not a big deal when you don't have to sit up all night doing laundry.

As for the pack n play, we actually had 2. One in the living room where he napped as an infant (because they sleep a lot), and one upstairs in our room where he slept every night until he moved to his crib. Once he moved out of our room, we moved that one to my parents house to use when he was there. The living room one we kept to have a safe place to contain him when he was all over the place, like if I had to go potty or answer the door, etc.

I made all of our baby food, just ran it through our food processor and then froze it in large ice cube trays for later use. It wasn't a big deal because I literally took the leftover veggies we had for dinner and processed it.

I think that was all the questions

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

August 19th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopingfor1soon View Post
1. We used the pac and play a lot, but we travel a lot too. We will also use it now because my MIL is my babysitter and will need something for baby to sleep in while he/she is there. Another alternative to look into may be the Rock and Play possibly? It really just depends on how much you would use it. I also used it when DS got older and could crawl or pull up but not walk to keep him contained if I needed to use the bathroom or take a shower quick cook dinner etc...

2. I dabbled in making my own baby food, but only a little bit. I just used my own food processer but I have heard great things about the baby bullet if you plan to use it for everything... like I said I just dabbled a bit so really our food processor was all I needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaroo View Post
As for the pack n play, we actually had 2. One in the living room where he napped as an infant (because they sleep a lot), and one upstairs in our room where he slept every night until he moved to his crib. Once he moved out of our room, we moved that one to my parents house to use when he was there. The living room one we kept to have a safe place to contain him when he was all over the place, like if I had to go potty or answer the door, etc.

I made all of our baby food, just ran it through our food processor and then froze it in large ice cube trays for later use. It wasn't a big deal because I literally took the leftover veggies we had for dinner and processed it.

I think that was all the questions
Thank you both! The rock n play isn't one of the products we're interested in, I think I'd rather go with a pack n play or some other affordable travel crib. BabyBjorn makes a great one but phew is it pricey! I like how compact it folds up, much small than a pack n play it looks like. And then there is another from a company called Lotus. I'm honestly surprised that Graco seems to be one of the only companies that makes play yards! *sigh* Naturally the two non-Graco brands the set up is closer to what we'd want in one since we'd only be using it for travel.

And thanks for your insight on making baby food! I'm sure a blender/food processor will work just fine and we wouldn't need to buy the Baby Bullet.
August 20th, 2014, 09:12 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
The first item I will buy is a blanket. I didn't buy a lot of the stuff that I'm always like "Why do people need that?" So I didn't have a lot of the not used stuff except for like cute clothes items like sun glasses. They're cute, but I never remember.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search