Laid back/biological nursing

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mad Hatter's Milk Party LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2014, 02:00 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else using this technique? I was starting to get super sore and frustrated with Max's refusal to latch and then shallow latch when he did. Well, I called the local LLL leader and she came over yesterday and was telling me about laid back breastfeeding and though I still am figuring out positioning (he just does not want to stay at boob level lol), it seems to be helping- even if I kind of get him positioned on it and then lean back- the latch seems better or maybe just leaning back keeps him from slipping off due to gravity? Either way, I'm going to keep at it and see if it wards off the major soreness!
April 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
The times that I do breastfeed Dorian, I seem to nurse in that position anyway. We like to nurse in bed. He is a lazy/shallow nurser as well so I hope that it works for you as much as it does for us.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I never knew this had a name, I've never tried it! We side-nurse at night though, which I've also found also helps get a better latch. I hope this continues to work for you!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I should look into this. Eden doesn't have a great latch and I am usually in some degree if pain.
April 29th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Yeah- well it works better during the day I guess lol ugh. I even just unlatched and relatched him and he's still gnawing in me. Oh wel- too lazy to try again bc it's such a pain to get him on I the first place. One thing I will not miss about the newborn phase is the uncontrollable flailing arms!! Lol
April 29th, 2014, 04:37 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol! Kinley's arms/hands make it hard to latch too! She does a better job during the day too. For one thing I can't really see how open her mouth it at night!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
April 29th, 2014, 05:49 AM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I should try this! Cece has been latching and unlatxhing restlessly since my milk has come in. I think she's frustrated waiting for let down? Anything is worth a shot 'cause I'm hurting!

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

April 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Another thing I've recently switched up is using coconut oil instead of lanolin. I think it works better and it's not as thick. $16 for 52 oz of organic oil at Costco- can't beat that!! I'm unlikely to use it for cooking because I'm not a huge fan of the taste but I've heard it's good as a moisturizer and hair mask too.
April 29th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use co for everything-moisturizer after baby baths. sometimes a natural deodorant. goes on much easier than lanolin
April 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
It's really amazing- I didn't have any upstairs so didn't use it overnight and he was eating so much, I was getting sore. Put some on this morning and I feel better. Maybe that's been helping more than the laid back technique- he never liked the lanolin taste..
April 29th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChica View Post
I should try this! Cece has been latching and unlatxhing restlessly since my milk has come in. I think she's frustrated waiting for let down? Anything is worth a shot 'cause I'm hurting!
Have you tried pumping just til your milk lets down then put baby on? I find that helps with the 'frantic chomping'!

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

April 29th, 2014, 11:54 PM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersh View Post
Have you tried pumping just til your milk lets down then put baby on? I find that helps with the 'frantic chomping'!
I haven't but that also sounds good. I think she is chomping until I let down, and then she gets overwhelmed with the volume of milk, so she unmatched every few gulps.

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

April 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Super Mommy
I had never heard of this. I think I'll try it to see if it can help me get her to latch. It's been a real struggle. I get mastitis really easily so doing this position all the time concerns me. I already got mastitis and she's only 6 days old. If it helps for a couple of weeks until we can get this latch right then I'll take it. We're trying to get rid of the shield. I've been successful once a day for the past 2 days.

May 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
Yeah- well it works better during the day I guess lol ugh. I even just unlatched and relatched him and he's still gnawing in me. Oh wel- too lazy to try again bc it's such a pain to get him on I the first place. One thing I will not miss about the newborn phase is the uncontrollable flailing arms!! Lol
I agree with the uncontrollable flailing arms, can't wait for that to end, not just feeding but the sudden jerks and twitches that startles him awake at night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search