nuchal test or no?

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NNichollaa
  • 1 Post By jshor09

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2014, 10:32 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
The nuchal translucency u/s and blood work are now pretty standard, but is there anyone who won't be doing them either because your midwife/OB doesn't offer it routinely or because you don't want to? I had it done with baby #4 because it was presented more as a routine than an option. I'm not sure if I want to have it done this time.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
July 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Dee
I will not be doing them.

I can understand why some people want as much information as possible - I fully support that and am very glad that insurance can cover the tests that help prospective parents make decisions and prepare for possibilities.

We plan not to have the tests done, in large part because of a huge false alarm that showed up in my pregnancy with my son that led to a great number of unnecessary (to me) tests and scans, including a fetal MRI that, without going into too much detail, was horrible. Toward the end, unless the test was going to directly affect decisions about labor and delivery, I opted out. (And I did end up with an NST that led to an early unscheduled c-section, so I'm not totally anti-medical intervention, I'm just don't want to get caught up in the prenatal-industrial complex.)

When I have my first appointment with my midwife on Thursday, the one who gave me the shocking news at 34w0d that I was having a baby that day, like it or not, I anticipate we'll have a conversation along these lines. I think she'll be on board, she's pretty cool like that.
July 8th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran
I might do the scan. Haven't really decided yet. I think I'll see how my next OB appointment goes and then decide.
July 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
valentinemommy's Avatar aka GreenMomma
I'm not sure yet. We will be discussing it at my next appointment I'm sure. They never offered it with my older children, but this OB is very different than the midwife I used with Gabe and Alex. They have an u/s machine in every room. I'm wondering if I'll get one each visit? I have so far.

July 8th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran
I'll do it. Mostly for the extra ultrasound at 12 weeks. We did it with our first.
Sahoko likes this.
July 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM
BostieMama's Avatar Veteran
I declined it for both my pregnancies. I don't like the idea of stressing over what could be a false alarm.
July 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Regular
im getting it done. just because of the u/s part. that way i can see the baby before the big scan
Sahoko likes this.

July 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always do it bc I'm already high risk and I already have one child with birth defects and I didn't know with him. I was completely blown out of the water when he was born. We were absolutely unprepared for the years of surgeries and hospitalizations that ensued. I would gladly trade a couple of weeks of worry to know for sure and plan and prepare for any problems after birth rather than be laying unknowingly in my room after giving birth to have 5 doctors come in and tell me my baby is being sent to another hospital bc he's very sick and could die.

July 8th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Super Mommy
Nah, I'm not doing it. I'd rather not deal with any unnecessary stress. It was included on a sheet of optional testing/screening and my doctor told me I could have any of the testing done that I wanted but that he didn't see a particular need for it so I'm good.

July 8th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Sahoko's Avatar Super Mommy
Doing it for extra ultrasound. Not passing up an opportunity to see baby.
July 9th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Hmm I didn't get any extra ultrasound with DD, so I'm not sure if they offered it or not. I guess not?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

July 9th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran
I won't be doing it--even if it was bad news, I don't think it would change anything I'm doing with this pregnancy. I totally understand why it's offered and think it's probably a good option for many people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search