Very personal question....

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree34Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2014, 07:36 AM
dreaming_of_baby's Avatar cupcake monster
Thank you ladies. Right now we live with Dh's family while which is stressful enough. He has a low paying job, but he's in school to become a RN so the financial issue will be short lived, but Yikes. His mom and grandma said they'll buy whatever we end up not getting, but it makes me feel like some lazy bum, like I'm on 16 and pregnant. **Not that there is anything wrong with that*** I've just never been a person to ask for help, it's like a kick in my pride's spine. On a better note my mom did tell me yesterday, I had forgotten that she had all of DD's stuff, she was going to give it away the week she found out, so i have a tone of new stuff dd never even used. Also found some free sample websites, so I spent a good chunk of time doing that yesterday, and realizing that no matter what, it is what it is so to just calm down.

July 10th, 2014, 11:34 AM
PinkLove15's Avatar Denise
Send a message via Skype™ to PinkLove15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming_of_baby View Post
Thank you ladies. Right now we live with Dh's family while which is stressful enough. He has a low paying job, but he's in school to become a RN so the financial issue will be short lived, but Yikes. His mom and grandma said they'll buy whatever we end up not getting, but it makes me feel like some lazy bum, like I'm on 16 and pregnant. **Not that there is anything wrong with that*** I've just never been a person to ask for help, it's like a kick in my pride's spine. On a better note my mom did tell me yesterday, I had forgotten that she had all of DD's stuff, she was going to give it away the week she found out, so i have a tone of new stuff dd never even used. Also found some free sample websites, so I spent a good chunk of time doing that yesterday, and realizing that no matter what, it is what it is so to just calm down.
That's great your mom has DD's stuff!!!! My parents will be helping buy baby stuff too. Although kind of makes me feel the same I fully intend to make it up to them some how to show how much I truly appreciate it
dreaming_of_baby likes this.

July 10th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Super Mommy
Finances can be pretty scary. My first three came when I had less than 10k a year to live on. But we managed

I've gotten a little comfy over the past few years b/c DH makes a nice middle-class wage, but we've been notified that his job is being eliminated in 60-90 days due to a corporate merger. That's scary.

But really, I know that the baby does not need much - he/she wants to be in my arms. We have a swing and a car seat, but even if you don't, you can find swings second-hand and almost every community has a free car seat program. You have to take a class for it, but you know what? Learning to install that car seat in the class I took with my first is one of the best lessons I ever got. My precious baby was totally safe when we got in an accident because I had her seat installed right and she was secured properly!

You can get clothes at Goodwill/Salvation Army/yardsales etc. for good prices. Or check your local freecycle (you can get baby gear that way too sometimes). Some places have baby pantries run by churches or crisis pregnancy centers and they give away lots of baby stuff, including diapers.

Babies are always a blessing, and we are given 9 months for a reason. It's okay to feel stressed sometimes, but remember there are a lot of people out there who really want to help mamas and babies <3
July 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by windywoodsmama View Post
We have a swing and a car seat, but even if you don't, you can find swings second-hand and almost every community has a free car seat program. You have to take a class for it, but you know what? Learning to install that car seat in the class I took with my first is one of the best lessons I ever got. My precious baby was totally safe when we got in an accident because I had her seat installed right and she was secured properly!

<3

I personally wish it was a requirement to be released from the hospital with a new baby to take a car seat installation class and learn to properly secure the baby in the seat. I cringe anytime I go places and almost every child I see is not properly secured in their seat. It makes me want to scream see a newborn in a seat so loosely strapped that they'll fly out if their parents hit a small pebble in the road much less get into an accident. It should be parenting 101!!
dreaming_of_baby and Sahoko like this.

July 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM
PinkLove15's Avatar Denise
Send a message via Skype™ to PinkLove15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto6boys View Post
I personally wish it was a requirement to be released from the hospital with a new baby to take a car seat installation class and learn to properly secure the baby in the seat. I cringe anytime I go places and almost every child I see is not properly secured in their seat. It makes me want to scream see a newborn in a seat so loosely strapped that they'll fly out if their parents hit a small pebble in the road much less get into an accident. It should be parenting 101!!
My favorite is when all the straps are twisted and the chest piece is down by the stomach. I personally WANT to take a car seat installation course

July 11th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyld View Post
I TOTALLY understand the financial stress, especially on the daycare front. I definitely wake up at night worrying about it. We currently pay $2100/month for the twins, and now we'll be adding another $1k/month on top of it. NO CLUE how to make that work. There's just nowhere else to squeeze money from. Not to mention needing cars that will carry a third car seat. It's overwhelming. But, as everyone else has said, we'll make it work. We have to.
What do you drive now? Surprisingly we were able to put 3 car seats in my mom's Camry last summer when brother & his twin girls & me and DD went for a road trip. (2 big girls on either side front facing w/ my LO in the middle rear facing) It was tight but we were able to do it. Maybe you could look into buying new car seats instead of a new car?
NNichollaa likes this.
July 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
MistyLynn85's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNIEVES View Post
What do you drive now? Surprisingly we were able to put 3 car seats in my mom's Camry last summer when brother & his twin girls & me and DD went for a road trip. (2 big girls on either side front facing w/ my LO in the middle rear facing) It was tight but we were able to do it. Maybe you could look into buying new car seats instead of a new car?

I'm worried about car seats as well, I cant see 3 working in either of our cars! My husband drives a Mazda CX-9 and it has a third row... the problem is, that you have to raise the back of the seat from the middle row to access it. That wont exactly work with 2 car seats installed for the new baby and my 18 month old! My 7 year old is going to end up having to sit between their car seats in her booster (will buy her the BubbleBum, the most narrow booster). And I'm kind of a car seat Nazi, so the car seats for the babies are not small/thin/flimsey/etc, so even with the BubbleBum its gonna be tight for Loralei. I drive a Hyundai Elantra Touring, so I am not even allowing myself to think about fitting them all in there. Lol

Also, my husband and I are very tall. Hes 6'4 and I'm 5'10... It isnt comfortable for either of us to have the babies carrier behind us and our seat pushed closer to the front. I dread that again, lol.

Last edited by MistyLynn85; July 11th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
July 11th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNIEVES View Post
Wow--really? I can't believe you could fit 3 in a Camry! I have an MDX now, but I can't figure how to be able to easily access all three seats, and the kids aren't big enough to hope in themselves yet. I feel like I need a third row (and the third row I have isn't big enough for car seats). But new seats is a good idea.....will do some research.....thanks!
July 11th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyld View Post
Wow--really? I can't believe you could fit 3 in a Camry! I have an MDX now, but I can't figure how to be able to easily access all three seats, and the kids aren't big enough to hope in themselves yet. I feel like I need a third row (and the third row I have isn't big enough for car seats). But new seats is a good idea.....will do some research.....thanks!
It was tight but it was definitely doable. You're twins 18months now right? So they will probably be able to climb in and out by the time the new bub gets here. It's amazing how much LESS room the same seat takes when its front facing vs rear facing. I think Chicco has a slim fit line of seats. Also, the Cosco Scenera has a slim profile and a really high ranking on consumer reports (feels cheap as crap though...LOL It's my 2nd car seat for DH's car - which DD is never in...lol.)
July 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyLynn85 View Post
I'm worried about car seats as well, I cant see 3 working in either of our cars! My husband drives a Mazda CX-9 and it has a third row... the problem is, that you have to raise the back of the seat from the middle row to access it. That wont exactly work with 2 car seats installed for the new baby and my 18 month old! My 7 year old is going to end up having to sit between their car seats in her booster (will buy her the BubbleBum, the most narrow booster). And I'm kind of a car seat Nazi, so the car seats for the babies are not small/thin/flimsey/etc, so even with the BubbleBum its gonna be tight for Loralei. I drive a Hyundai Elantra Touring, so I am not even allowing myself to think about fitting them all in there. Lol

Also, my husband and I are very tall. Hes 6'4 and I'm 5'10... It isnt comfortable for either of us to have the babies carrier behind us and our seat pushed closer to the front. I dread that again, lol.

Can you put New baby in the middle with the 18 month old behind the front passenger? Then put the eldest in the 3rd row? That way you have easy access for moving that seat and you don't have to worry about the driver being too squished...My brother is 6'4 also and he was able to fully push the seats of the Camry back with the FF seat behind him.

What about doing a convertible instead of a carrier? I found we had a lot more room with the convertible, and while the carrier was pretty convenient my DD grew out of it by like 6 months anyway and we had to make the switch...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search