Buy a 2nd crib or put toddler in a bed

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Super Mommy
My daughter will be 27 months when new baby comes. Right now we are planning to try and transition her to a big girl bed come December after her 2nd birthday so that we can use the crib to put the new baby in. We don't plan on having any more children so I'd prefer not to purchase a second crib.

What are the other mom's of toddlers planning on doing?
July 9th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Super Mommy
We have a bassinette for bubs, which usually lasts until around 6 months, then they go into a cot. With DD we transitioned her into her big girl bed a couple of months after DS was born, and she would have been about 27-8months old. She was fine. DS came out of the cot about six months ago, so don't need to worry about that this time but if he was still in we would be transferring him to the toddler bed ready for bubs to use the cot.
July 9th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran
In the same predicament! I plan on just using a bassinet until the twins are 2 1/2 or so, and then try and moving them up. I just hate to buy another crib when we'll have two available soon! Who knows if they'll be ready for toddler beds by then, though. I wasn't sure when they'd be ready to make that move, so I'm glad to hear that others did the transition at 27-28 months. That timing should work out fine.
July 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Do you have a bassinet you plan on using for when baby is brand new, or will you need the crib right from the start? My babies never really slept in the crib until after 3-4 months or so. That would buy you some more time. Also, be sure she's fully transitioned, like completely, before baby comes. Switching my 2yr old was a freaking nightmare with a little one. She'd constantly get out of bed, it drove me nuts lol. We bought a 2nd crib at that point for our own sanity lol

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

July 9th, 2014, 07:47 AM
andrews_sweetie's Avatar Mom to Aiden
My DS was a little under 2 when he went to his race car bed, so we already have a crib. Good-Luck
July 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Veteran
We will transfer our son around Christmas to a toddler bed. He'll be 23 months. We figure we want that transition done before there's an actual baby so that he's not getting used to a new bed and a new baby at the same time. We already have it, my brother and SIL gave us one they no longer use.
July 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Sophia will be 26 months when baby arrives. Her crib is one that transitions to a toddler bed, so she'll be keeping hers. We'll be getting another transition crib for baby, but he/she will sleep in a pack 'n play in our room the first several months.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

July 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Super Mommy
I'm dealing with the same dilemma...DS will be 2 1/2 when the baby comes. His crib is convertible, so I'm tempted to let him use his as a toddler/big bed and just buy another convertible crib for this baby.

July 9th, 2014, 09:12 AM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We co-sleep but for the first couple of weeks I use a pack n play with the bassinet on top. We have a crib that is convertible that is currently in the toddler bed set-up that we need to get my 2 yo moved into soon. It's going to be a fight but I'll start soon so by the time baby comes he'll be in it full time. I've always had a crib set up but none of my boys ever really slept in them on a regular basis. Breastfeeding is just so much easier when you co-sleep.

July 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie.S View Post
Sophia will be 26 months when baby arrives. Her crib is one that transitions to a toddler bed, so she'll be keeping hers. We'll be getting another transition crib for baby, but he/she will sleep in a pack 'n play in our room the first several months.
Ours transitions to a toddler bed also, but I have a twin mattress/boxspring that's had little to no use that's in our spare bedroom. I was thinking about putting DD in that and skipping a toddler bed altogether...
July 9th, 2014, 09:45 AM
valentinemommy's Avatar aka GreenMomma
Gabe was 2 when Alex was born, but we had him in a toddler bed well before that because he was a climber. Like Jessica said, just make time for the transition. There may be weeks or more of getting up to put your toddler back to bed until the excitement wears off.

July 9th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Dee
I was thinking about this, too. I think we'll get a used bassinet for the new baby for the first few months (with DS we borrowed one from a friend, who is inconveniently due with her second in February also, so that won't work this time ). Then, if DS isn't ready for the toddler bed yet, I might put baby in the pack and play at night and squeeze out more time in the crib for the older one.

DS is a climber and I'm pretty sure he's going to be jumping out of his crib any day, so he may be the one who solves this dilemma for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search