Baby Registry Must Haves and Tips

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
sweetpea0714's Avatar Veteran
Opinion Time:

What are your must have items for a baby registry for a first time mom? What items should we be sure not to forget? What do you think is the appropriate size for a registry?
Pumpkinpatch likes this.
August 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
PinkLove15's Avatar Denise
Send a message via Skype™ to PinkLove15
I hope that you don't mind that I add this. What are things you got or were given that just took up space or were useless?
sweetpea0714 likes this.

August 7th, 2014, 03:17 AM
BostieMama's Avatar Veteran
My one tip would be forget the expensive bedding! I paid 200 because I was dying over how cute this one was and it was such a waste. The quilt and bumpers you can't actually use safety wise. So basically it's just the sheet and skirt. You can get cute printed sheets/skirts lot cheaper as separates. My crib looked adorable for uh the weeks before a baby was actually in it and I had to take all the extras out lol.
August 7th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Veteran
What BostieMama said - don't worry about cute bedding. I did end up going back and getting some breathable bumpers once he started rolling around to soften any blows if he hit the side of the crib. But that wasn't expensive. Have at least three pairs of sheets! You may go through all of them in one night!

I wouldn't register for things like clothes, diapers or laundry detergent. In my experience, people will get you what they want to get.

If you are in the US, don't register for a breast pump, your insurance will provide one for you.

Don't be surprised if no one gets you any boring stuff that you actually need. I used gift cards and money to pick up those things.

I actually used pretty much most of the stuff I registered for. But you don't have to have a bunch of stuff. Some things I loved though:

Ergo Baby (get an infant insert just in case you need it)
Some sort of bouncy seat or swing (my first slept in this for a few weeks when he was refusing to sleep in his cradle)
Moby Wrap
Swaddlers (and not blankets, but zip up ones my son couldn't get out of - I used Summer Infant and another brand, they were like magic for us)
Nursing Pillows are nice, but sometimes I just used my own king size pillow
Noise maker
Monitor

Oh, and for diapers & wipes, seriously consider using Amazon Mom when you need to start buying some! It's amazing!
Pumpkinpatch likes this.
August 7th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I thought this was a pretty helpful list. Although, instead of a bulb syringe I have a nosefrida and it's amazing!

Baby products: Must-haves for the first year | BabyCenter
riversongbella likes this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting a baby boy in February!

{Our family blog}

August 7th, 2014, 05:27 AM
MistyLynn85's Avatar Veteran
I also agree with the bedding, its a waste of money.

My must haves with both of my girls were:

Ergo carrier. Its worth every single penny! My toddler is 19 months old, 25lbs and still fits with lots of room to grow! She loves it. REI.com had some on sale a few days ago, not sure if they still do or not.

Pack 'n Play with the bassinet insert on top. The bassinet can be taken off and used alone. It was fantastic for when I was downstairs, since the Pack 'n Play was upstairs in my bedroom.

If you plan to nurse and pump, a Medela brand pump. Yes, insurance covers the pump. But there are still some differences between insurance companies- some require a doctors note for "premium pumps". My friends had to get a doctors note and pay somewhere around $20 to upgrade. Which still isnt bad, since they are pricy! But its something to think about in advance.

Dont rely on shower guest to buy big ticket items (unless its parents or super close relatives). Most will buy: clothes, bibs (oh Lord the bibs, I probably have 100...), socks and cute but useless shoes and wash clothes.

Dont buy blankets until after your shower, I also always ended up with a ton of those. Especially the thin receiving blankets (which are good for early swaddling days!)

Both of my babies were swaddle babies, so I have every type of swaddle blankets you can think of. The ones made of Muslin are by far my favorite (really love Aden by Aden brand). They are large and thin.

Ask guest to bring larger size diapers. Newborn diapers are used a very short time, same with size 1. I ask for size 2 and up, but I have big babies. Also consider talking to whoever throws your shower about doing a raffle type gift for anyone who brings diapers to the shower. Just add a note in the invite about it.
August 7th, 2014, 06:44 AM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My must haves are:
a pack n play with the bassinet top (regular tiny bassinets are useless IMO)

Medela Breast pump & accessories (not necessary though if you EBF)

A good quality carrier (ie Ergo, moby wrap, etc)

Onesies (my babies live in them the first few weeks)

Burp Cloths (I go through tons as I have reflux babies)

Good Swaddlers (love the muslin blankets, but also loved the Woombie, my babies slept so good in them and they don't get loose!)

Not necessarily to register for but to have:
Good Breast pads & lanolin (whether you BF or not you'll need pads...lol)
Breast milk storage bags if you plan to pump
Good nursing bras and tanks (I live in nursing tanks the first 6 months! They are pricey but worth the investment!)
Gripe Water
Boudreaux's Butt Paste (or good rash ointment of your choice)
Plenty of 2x2 Gauze pads & A&D ointment (if circ'ing little boy, the hospital will not give you enough)( No debates please!!)
A basket or carrier that you can put essentials in and carry from room to room or even keep one in each room of dipes, wipes, rash ointment, a onesie, burp clothes, etc. It makes life so much easier especially if you have to have a C-section!!
Plenty of bottled water and handy snacks for yourself if you are breastfeeding!!

August 7th, 2014, 07:26 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Totally agree with a good carrier. I have an Ergo (but the Beco Gemini is supposed to be awesome as well). And since I'm large-breasted I found that the infant insert for the Ergo was a waste, it smushed a newborn too much up between my breasts. A small folded receiving blanket under their bottom worked much better. Just FYI for those who are larger!
mumto6boys and Pumpkinpatch like this.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
August 7th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I loved my Pack N Play for trips or setting up camp wherever I wanted to in the house. I also LOVED my Boppy nursing pillow. My son loved cuddling up on me with that under him. I went through a ton of burps cloths because of reflux, but they were good to have around in general. I also registered for different kinds of pacifiers and found that my son liked the MAM brand best. For disposable diapers, I had gotten a Diaper Genie as a gift although I didn't register for it. I am so glad I got one!

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Dee
I was a big fan of the large muslin swaddling blankets (e.g. Aiden & Anais). My son is 1.5 and we still use them - in addition to swaddling they're great as a coverup, light blanket in the summer, sun shade over the stroller, and we pack it for doctor's appointments to keep him covered instead of just hanging out in his diaper in the cold office.

2-3 covers for your changing pad. A tough diaper means you have to change it right away. There are spot covers that you can use for right under the diaper, but my baby was much too wiggly for those, they slid right out. And I do put the clean diaper underneath for extra coverage, but sometimes you just have to remove the pad on the fly.

If you plan to cloth diaper - in addition to the diapers, you might want to register for wet bags (small travel ones and ones for your changing table bin at home), and for biodegradable liners (e.g. bummis biosoft). If you're trying cloth diapering for the first time, you might want to start by trying a couple of different styles before you commit to one. Places like the Diaper Lab (Somerville, MA) have a mail order trial kit for this sort of thing.

A baby monitor. We use the Philips Digital, and someone gave us the video one but we only used it briefly. I will probably use it more with two to keep an eye on the toddler in his play room.

If you register for a diaper bag, fill it up with some stuff and carry it around the store for a while, first. I really like the layout of our bag, but the material is so sturdy that it ends up being really heavy to lug. I definitely wished I'd registered for something lighter weight.

HUGE fan of the Ergo carrier - we still use it regularly. I also loved having a ring sling. We were intimidated by it at first, but both DH and I loved to snuggle with LO once we got the hang of it.

Even if you plan to EBF, consider having a bottle and a little formula in the house. Some people feel very strongly that if you have it, you will use it. In my opinion, that is the point. If it is 3am and your new baby is screaming and you feel like dying, you may find that a bottle offers enough of a reprieve for you both so you can rest, refuel, and get back to the (very hard) work of breast feeding in the morning.
Pumpkinpatch likes this.
August 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
2EverAfter's Avatar Super Mommy
I have to agree on the Pack N Play with the bassinet. I kept it downstairs while having the crib in our room.

Also, the muslin Aden + Anais brand blankets for swaddling.

Onesies and sleepers.

Dr. Browns bottles (even though I was nursing, when we had to supplement some formula I was thankful to already have some bottles around)

A bouncy seat! I used this all the time!!

Onesies and sleepers

I got a lot of clothing, bibs, pacifiers and blankets from my shower.

One thing I thought I really wanted and went and bought with gift cards was a diaper genie but honestly, I'd rather have a good trash can with a lid this time around. I didn't like that you have to buy the refill trash bags- they were more expensive and if I ran out I couldn't just use a normal trash bag.
Pumpkinpatch likes this.

August 8th, 2014, 06:44 PM
BTDT mamas....Wipe warmer - good or waste?

August 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM
andrews_sweetie's Avatar Mom to Aiden
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLove15 View Post
BTDT mamas....Wipe warmer - good or waste?
I have no idea. I bought one at a yard sale for a buck. We will see how much I use it. I doubt that it will be much.
August 9th, 2014, 01:34 AM
BostieMama's Avatar Veteran
I never had one and didn't miss it. I've seen it listed as not being worth it in articles.
August 9th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Dee
On the warmer, I figured if I can't take something like that with us when we're out, then I don't want him to get too used to it at home. I know other mamas swear by them on cold winter nights, though.
August 9th, 2014, 01:08 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wipe warmer is a waste! Breeding ground for bacteria.
NNichollaa likes this.

August 9th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Wipe warmer was a waste, I agree breeding ground for bacteria and it dries out the wipes after a while. From my experience newborns hate diaper changes no matter the wipe temperature lol Everyone gave great advice so I'll just add a few of mine. --We use woombies to swaddle once they get too big for receiving blankets (which happens quickly!)they're life saving! --the rock n play sleeper saved me for the first 3months of my daughters life..she had awful reflux plus she loved to be propped up to see everything. --swings are also essential in my house. --we uses prefold cloth diapers as burp cloths, MUCH more absorbant and cheaper like 5 for $10, those little burp cloths are no match for spit up!
mumto6boys likes this.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

August 9th, 2014, 04:36 PM
I will take the wipe warmer off my list! I will put a rock n play on though! (I've started making a registry, mostly for me but will use it for the shower when the time comes)

August 9th, 2014, 11:35 PM
sweetpea0714's Avatar Veteran
Great advice ladies!
August 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
It's a GOOD thing I'm so close to the states. There's a few things I want that are only sold there and the breast pump I want is 150 dollars cheaper.. Mostly want the Dr. Brown's bottles and maybe try a few pacifiers
andrews_sweetie likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search