Childbirth Classes

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WantingAnother
  • 1 Post By windywoodsmama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Any of our mommies, especially first timers, plan on taking a birthing class? BTDT moms, did you ever take classes? Did you think it was helpful?

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

August 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
With DD we did the full Saturday birthing class. For me, it was all stuff I already knew, although DH said it was helpful for him. The only good part for me was getting to tour the birthing center. So overall, it was worth it. Will we do it again, no.

I also took a breastfeeding class. That one was pretty helpful!

The only one I'm possibly debating is the Big Brother/Big Sister class, but I think DD is probably still too young. So probably no classes for us.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

August 27th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Dee
We took the 12 week Bradley Method before our first. Well... we took 11 weeks of it and then had a baby the night we were supposed to have our last class.

It was great. It gave us a chance to talk through a lot of things, not just about birth, but also about our relationship, our ideas about parenting, etc. It was way better than premarital counseling, and had a very positive impact.

Although Bradley is designed to prepare you for a natural childnirth, our instructor's third child was a c section, and she still considers it a "Bradley" birth because she was an informed participant on the process. When we ended up with a very unexpected c section ourselves, I also felt that Bradley prepared us to ask good questions, support each other, stay on the same page throughout, and welcome our son into the world in a way that was safest for everyone.

I definitely recommend checking out Bradley to all the new expectant parents I know, and even to people who felt disappointed the first time through and want to try a different approach.
August 27th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Super Mommy
We took Lamaze classes and to be honest I think I would like to take a more hands on class to help us (hubby) learn how to latch me.
August 28th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Super Mommy
I didn't have a chance to take a class because my son came early. This time I would like to take a class, but I want to take one geared for mom's trying a natural birth. I want tips on managing pain, things my husband can do, etc. I think if we had had this knowledge with my first, I may have been able to manage natural all the way. Instead I got an epidural about 20 minutes before my son was born. LOL
August 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM
MistyLynn85's Avatar Veteran
I didnt take any. With my first pregnancy, I was on bedrest and it just wasnt safe for me to be out and about for it. With my second, I felt like I knew what to expect and knew what I did and did not want to go thru. I wont take any this time either.
August 28th, 2014, 08:17 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
We did lamaze classes with our first. I'm not really sure how much we learned but it was still a great experience and something really kind of fun to do as almost-new parents. The hospital tour was also neat. It also included a breastfeeding class - good - and a health class - not as good.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
August 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did with my first, I liked the tour the best!

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

August 28th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
I've never taking any sort of class.

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

August 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
WantingAnother's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a class with my first pregnancy. I really enjoyed it! I would recommend for first time mommas!
valentinemommy likes this.

August 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
2EverAfter's Avatar Super Mommy
I took one before DD and a lot of it I already knew but Dh and I got to practice positions and things he can do to help through labor which came in handy. I really didn't want to be explaining things to him while in labor.. so I think it was worth it. We also did a CPR/First Aid course too. There's a refresher/add to your skills childbirth type class I was considering. I'm not sure yet. I would love to have DD do the sibling class though.

August 28th, 2014, 03:50 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never took a class. I always said I would with my first but never did it. I think I just figured it was for people who were going without meds and I knew I wasn't doing that, lol. I figured out pretty fast about breathing that works to ease the pain and all that other stuff once I actually gave birth lol. I'm pretty level headed so I didn't freak out and I can manage pain pretty well.

August 29th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Super Mommy
Well I teach an online class so I'm biased and think they're helpful! With my first, my midwife gave lessons after my appointments and those were nice. And with my third I had a friend who was getting her Bradley certification, so she had class going and I really enjoyed that one.

I still work through various resources before each baby's birth
valentinemommy likes this.
August 29th, 2014, 07:17 AM
valentinemommy's Avatar aka GreenMomma
We took a class that included a tour with our first and I really enjoyed it. As a first time Mom, I felt a lot better about the hospital being familiar and knowing where to go. We also were taught breathing tips, which I know I used and they showed the Daddies ways of relieving pain for us. This was really cool, because if I have lower back pain or cramps, Justin still offers to do it for me. (It's just a pressure point thing, pressing on the knees a certain way). I am thinking about looking for a hypnobirthing class once we get moved back to the city.

August 29th, 2014, 01:06 PM
riversongbella's Avatar Veteran
is it bad I don't want to know anything about how the birth may go down? I am totally happy staying in my bubble and I already know how I feel about each of the potential options of a birth plan and have decided ... but in terms of all the details of details of exactly what happens I really just want to show up the day of labor and just be told what to do by the staff

I will go take a tour of the facilities and take a breast feeding class ... I just also get queasy about certain things & I tend to have random panic attacks so I don't want to learn something and then for months get panic attacks because I'm now thinking about something I learned in a class

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search