Labor fears....

Forum: Due Date Club of February 2015

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree57Likes
  • 4 Post By WantingAnother
  • 2 Post By 2EverAfter
  • 2 Post By Cassie.S
  • 3 Post By MistyLynn85
  • 5 Post By 2EverAfter
  • 3 Post By PrettyMommy
  • 3 Post By jshor09
  • 4 Post By momopotamus
  • 4 Post By NNichollaa
  • 5 Post By WantingAnother
  • 1 Post By riversongbella
  • 2 Post By DeeMc78
  • 3 Post By GreenGeek
  • 5 Post By Adding1more
  • 3 Post By NNichollaa
  • 3 Post By valentinemommy
  • 4 Post By wvufan67
  • 1 Post By GreenGeek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of February 2015 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i know it's early to be thinking about this but it's always been something i've been scared of....how do you ease the fear?

August 28th, 2014, 12:43 PM
WantingAnother's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a good question. I know that I am in good hands and try my best to think of the best reward at the end! Nothing beats holding your precious little one for the first time and making eye contact. Love at first sight!!

Also with my first, I took a birthing class. It helped me out a bit with what to expect. I also did a tour of labor and delivery so when the time came I knew what I was walking into.

August 28th, 2014, 01:07 PM
2EverAfter's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree, I try to think about the end result, a precious baby in your arms. However, it's nice to be prepared and have a tour of the hospital to know what is available and what to expect there.
valentinemommy and wvufan67 like this.

August 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Well, I think it's completely normal to have that fear. I'm really not looking forward to that labor part, it is called labor for a reason, it's hard work! But like the other ladies said, you just have to keep your mind on the end result. Once you see that sweet tiny little face, you forget about everything that just happened and it's so worth it all! But I also agree, do as much reading and preparing yourself for all possible situations will help you feel a little better about it. And of course don't be afraid to ask us any questions you might have!
valentinemommy and wvufan67 like this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting a baby boy in February!

{Our family blog}

August 28th, 2014, 01:24 PM
MistyLynn85's Avatar Veteran
When the time comes, it will come a LOT more natural to you than you might think! Our bodys are made for this, a lot of stuff you just sort of know when the time comes. Listen to your body and your instint! These fears are totally normal. Like the other ladies said, just think of the end result. I actually start to get excited when I think about going into labor and meeting my sweet baby for the first time!
August 28th, 2014, 01:38 PM
2EverAfter's Avatar Super Mommy
Also, by the end.. I was so uncomfortable and tired of being pregnant I wasn't so scared anymore

August 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my 6th child so I don't have alot of fears but every time makes be a bit nervous. Each is different and you can never know what to expect. I also try to just focus on the fact I am in good hands because I trust my doctor and the hospital I am delivering at. I have had 4 kids there and feel very confident in the care I will get. I had a horrible experience with my last at another hospital and won't ever go back there. But just make sure you feel confident when you tour the hospital and obviously you feel good about your OB or you wouldn't have picked them.

August 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran
I get nervous. but by the end i want my body back and the nervousness goes away and im like bring on the labor. lol. plus you get to meet an awesome newborn at the end which is quite rewarding.

August 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
It could help to try and pinpoint exactly what parts of it are making you the most anxious and try to break it down so it doesn't seem like such a huge overwhelming fear. What 3 things are bugging you out the most about labor? And I agree, what you're feeling is completely normal. Just try to remember the end result, and try to understand as much as you can so you can minimize anxiety before the day comes.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

August 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran
To be honest, I think when it comes down to it and you're in labor, the fear kind of goes away and you just end up focusing on the outcome. That's how it was for my first. And right now I just try not to think about it! lol
August 28th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momopotamus View Post
It could help to try and pinpoint exactly what parts of it are making you the most anxious and try to break it down so it doesn't seem like such a huge overwhelming fear. What 3 things are bugging you out the most about labor? And I agree, what you're feeling is completely normal. Just try to remember the end result, and try to understand as much as you can so you can minimize anxiety before the day comes.
I get really anxious and scared if i hear stories where someone almost died. I have heard that it's really rare though. I think the pushing part is sort of intimidating too..what if i can't do it or don't understand how? I have also heard that you have to keep an eye on your bleeding and it makes me nervous that i may not know how much is too much or when to worry.

Thanks ladies so much. I'll keep that in mind i am excited to see him and hold him just nervous about labor part. I guess a lot of it could be where it's something i've never done before.

August 28th, 2014, 07:34 PM
WantingAnother's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When it's time to push, it comes naturally and you will do it. They will also be helping you the entire time telling you how. As far as the bleeding, they will keep an eye on you for that too. The nurses and doc will check your pad to see the amount of blood. You will be A-OK

August 28th, 2014, 07:40 PM
riversongbella's Avatar Veteran
I'm more fearful of feuding family members ... Not all my family likes each other ... they will be civil but after the fact each always has a ton to dish about the other ... and SO fam and mine have never met no idea if its going to be at the hospital ... the birth part not so fearful at all about that, just thinking positive about my body popping the kid out fast with no pain
wvufan67 likes this.
August 28th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I was extremely nervous through out my first pregnancy because I didn't know what expect. I was induced a week before he was due, and I couldn't have been happier! I was so tired, fat, sore, and sleep deprived that I wanted the baby OUT!! Any fears or concerns I had disappeared that last month because I was over being pregnant. The process itself couldn't have been easier. I hope I am as lucky this time as I was with the last one.
wvufan67 and 2EverAfter like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 28th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran
With your pushing fear, it takes the same muscles to push out poop. So you just push down like you got the biggest poo needing to come out. lol

I tend to have anxiety and excitement at once and it can be hard to tell between the two.
August 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Super Mommy
If you aren't already book yourself into a birthing class and if you are looking for some ways to deal with the pain side of things, hypnobabies is incredible.I love labour, yeah I know I am strange, but both my labours have been awesome experiences. I was pushing with my first before I even consciously realised that was what was happening, my body just knew what it was doing!

I remember with my first worrying about women who die in childbirth and my midwife kindly pointed out that yes it does happen, however think about how many women, every single day all over the world give birth and know that less than 1% of all those women pass away.

As for the bleeding, the midwives checked me for the first 12 hours and then just asked me to give them a call anytime I went to the toilet after that, so they could make sure everything was okay.
August 29th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
With your pushing fear, it takes the same muscles to push out poop. So you just push down like you got the biggest poo needing to come out. lol

I tend to have anxiety and excitement at once and it can be hard to tell between the two.
This!!! I'm totally serious, with my son, I knew i was ready to start pushing when I felt like I had a gigantic poop I had to get out. And sure enough, I was ready when they checked me. And then, I just bore down so hard! I did pilates and yoga throughout that pregnancy, and I swear it helped so much to get him out. You use those lower ab muscles. I just went somewhere inside of myself and focused on those muscles and pushed! So I definitely suggest trying yoga or pilates to help.
wvufan67, 2EverAfter and GreenGeek like this.
August 29th, 2014, 06:11 AM
valentinemommy's Avatar aka GreenMomma
Everyone has definitely covered it and they are all right! I just wanted to share a little about my first time giving birth. Sorry...it is a little long.

With my first, we had a very lengthy labor and things definitely did not go as I dreamed it would when I wrote my birth plan..but that does not mean that it was bad. I was terrified of labor, but tried to go all natural...nope lol. It was slow and I had to be given pitocin, then my epidural only took on half of my body, sporadically. So basically all it did was confuse me and keep me from laboring correctly, with no pain relief whatsoever. Gabe was also not turned right. He was head down, but sideways. So I ended up laboring for 27 hours in the hospital (36 total) and I tore horribly. BUT!!....When my baby was crowning, my midwife had me involved in the whole process, not just pushing. I felt his head as he slowly made his appearance and she literally let me deliver him myself once his shoulders were out. With the last big push, I pulled him out and up onto my stomach and it was the most empowering experience of my life. I had just gone through hell and in that moment, none of it mattered. It was still the best experience of my life. I hope this does not scare you. It is meant to do the opposite. No matter how scary or difficult it can get, you WILL keep going and you WILL come out with a beautiful baby and feeling like you just won the Iron Man competition! lol My MIL was out in the hall and heard me yell when I was pushing. She said it sounded like a battle-cry and you could hear it in the waiting room down the hall haha!

By the time I was ready to have my second child, I was not scared. I refused to let them hook me up to anything, so that I could walk around and he was here in less than half the time with no issues at all.

Have faith in yourself and listen to your body. You may go in a little scared, but you will come out a pro! And like the girls said, read as much as you can and if there are certain things you feel strongly about, make it very clear ahead of time. You can even use a sharpee and write things on your arm, so that nurses all know and can't ignore (no epidural, no pitocin, no cytotec, etc.) I am going in with "NO drugs" on my arm. Because of my history, I feel very strongly about not getting pitocin or any other drugs that are meant to speed labor.
wvufan67, 2EverAfter and GreenGeek like this.

August 29th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies. You all are truly amazing. I feel so much better now..actually getting more excited to meet my little prince!

August 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran
After each birth I felt euphoric! Like Lia said, I felt like I won an Iron Man competition. LOL
wvufan67 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search