Leah's birth story

Abandon Ship!

Share your birth stories.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kjaco2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abandon Ship! LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran
Wednesday: I had my OB appointment, my cervix was still closed and high. The plan was to be induced July 3, pending my blood pressure cooperating.

Thursday: My BP was a little higher... I went for a 2 mile walk and had some good contractions then. I decided I should check my BP before work that evening, and it was 149/95, so I called the nurse and she told me to go straight to triage. I got to triage about 5pm. I was fully expecting the Dr. to send me home and tell me to rest, but she recommended I be induced early, since I was 38w5d. I started crying. I wasn't ready! My husband was still at work, but thankfully my mother in law was with me.

Thursday eve: They started me on oral Miso, every two hours...that got stalled for whatever reason. They decided to do Cervadil next, but it didn't get placed till 3am. And let me tell you, that hurt worse than my contractions after my water broke. OUCH! It burns and hurts to get shoved up by the cervix. Somehow, that one didn't get placed well, and so it FELL OUT around 7am, probably earlier...I had to get it placed AGAIN around 9am. Ouch! It hurt so bad, and can't even describe.

Friday: After the cervadil was correctly placed, contractions picked up fast, they didn't hurt much (maybe a 4?) but they were coming every 1-2 minutes for a couple hours. They took out the Cervadil around 1pm (usually it stays in for 12 hours!) because Leah was not tolerating it well. My contractions continued. I had to change positions and be on oxygen all afternoon because she wasn't doing super well. She was okay, but would get tired if I didn't move around.I went from a 2-2.5 in a few hours...Then my water broke around 5:30pm. The contractions REALLY hurt after my water broke. I was going to hold off for an epidural, but the thought of being checked again terrified me, and those contractions HURT! I got a dose of Fentanyl while I waited for the epidural. Once the epidural was placed, I felt so much better! I got checked and was 3cm, then basically rested until 10:30pm. The nurse checked me, and I was a 10! I thought I'd only be a 4...

Friday eve/ Sat morning:
I pushed for 5 freaking hours! The nurses and OB kept reassuring me I was pushing well and that she wasn't stuck. Thank God for my epidural. It was perfect, pain was low, but I was still able to feel my contractions. I refused to get a C-section...not that it was an option, since she apparently was coming, slooowwly.... The OB had to leave around hour 3 for an emergency. A midwife came and helped until the OB was done. We got to the point where
I had to decide if I wanted a C-section or a vacuum. I would have opted for a vacuum assist delivery, but just as the OB was back, Leah was ready to come out! The last three pushes were so scary because Leah's heart rate dropped to the 80s, the NICU team came down to assist. I bawled through the last two pushes. It was so scary. I got an episiotomy to help her come out quickly. She came out blue, when straight under to the warmer with the NICU team. Her APGARs were 2, 7, 9. Those first few minute were the scariest in my whole life. I thought she was going to die. They finally gave her to me, and I remember saying, are you sure she is okay?! I was balling and remember thinking how CUTE she was!

Saturday: We had family visit, which was nice. We were so tired! I slept only 3 hours from Thursday-Sunday night. I was so exhausted I was dizzy.

Sunday early morning: They had to take Leah to the NICU for bill lights. It was so hard having her taken away. I could only hold her every few hours to feed her, then that evening not at all so she could soak up the bili light rays. She was so cute with her little sunglasses on.

Monday: We finally got to go HOME! It was a LONG weekend! I've just been recovering (second degree tear and episiotomy...ouch...) Catching up on my sleep, snuggling our baby, spending time with my awesome hubby! He was so amazing during the whole process. Leah is a super good eater, I'm so proud that she caught on so quickly after a whole day of bottles in the NICU. We love her so much and she fits right in at home. I can't imagine life without her!
ZeeWP likes this.

July 11th, 2014, 09:16 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
Sounds like you had some scary moments, but you guys came out of it stronger! Congrats again!

July 12th, 2014, 01:19 PM
lea23's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on the new edition to your family.

July 14th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome baby Leah!

It's so hard to see your baby under the bili lights away from you. Glad she went home with you and is eating well!
August 7th, 2014, 09:27 AM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry that it took so long for her to arrive but I'm glad she is healthy now. congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search