Bennett Joe's Birth Story 7/2/14

Abandon Ship!

Share your birth stories.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abandon Ship! LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2014, 10:29 AM
razorbackmom's Avatar Super Mommy
This is typed in my iphone so apologies for typos, runons and ect!

On 7-1-14 I seen my OB for my 38 week appt. I went in thinking he would sweep my membranes because at my 37 week appointment he said we would do it any my next appt. When I asked him if he would do the membrane sweep he said he would rather wait til my next appointment. I was dilated to a 2 but was having no real contractions or signs of labor outside of losing some of my mucus plug and weeks of diarrhea. I went in to work as usual at 8 a.m. the next morning. I bounced on my exercise ball until lunch time when I went home. I had been having upper abdominal pain that morning but wasn't sure if it was indigestion or hunger so I ate a gas station corn dog and took a few tums. Pain got worse instead of better and I began to worry about HELLP syndrome because I remember feeling similar at the beginning of my labor with DD. I checked my blood pressure at home and it was a tad high. I called my OB and the nurse spoke with my doctor and told me to go to L&D for some blood work and observation. I drove myself the 45 minutes to the hospital where DH works and he met me at the women's center. (On the way there I was listening to our local classic rock station and I s*** you not they played Benny and the Jets (we call Ben Benny) and then Momma I'm Coming Home one after the other. Coincidence? I think not. Lol!) So I got checked in and put in room 2311 which is the same room I delivered DD in. The nurses hooked us up to the monitors and pulled some blood to check for elevated liver enzymes and low blood platelets which are the main symptoms of HELLP syndrome. Doc came in and checked me and we were dilated to a 4. He seemed pleased and said depending on the bloodwork we may be able to wait on labor naturally! This really excited me and the doctor too. Bloodwork came back and enzymes were a tad high and platelets were a tad low. This was the beginning stages of HELLP and the only treatment option is delivery so I was started on pitocin at around 4 p.m. I sent DH to pick up DD from daycare and he was gone about an hour. When they came in I was already having painful contractions and back labor. OB came back and broke my water and I asked for an epidural. The epidural was lovely and I was pain free in no time. I was progressing just fine and was at a 9 by around 9:30 when my nurse came in concerned about LOs heartrate. It kept dropping real low with every contraction and wasn't coming up back up like it should. My nurse stimulated baby by rubbing his head and moving me in different positions. Nothing really worked so she was stuck with her fingers inside me rubbing his head for 30 minutes til doc showed up. OB said we may be able to push past the lip that was putting me at a 9 instead of a 10 so we began pushing. Apparently I wasn't getting anywhere fast so he turned my epidural off. Turned out baby was face up and doctor needed him to turn over so he turned baby a little every time I pushed. By the time baby was in the right position I was exhausted and feeling every bit of pain down there. No time for rest and it was time to push again, but this time it was to actually have a baby. So I pushed like crazy and hurt like crazy for what seemed like an eternity and doc ended up having to use the vacuum. After a few attempts with the vacuum and some seriously exhausting pushing finally Bennett Joe was born! I was relieved and exhausted and so happy. I ended up with a second degree tear which was nothing major at all but OB had to spend 20 minutes fishing for and coaxing out my placenta because the cord was hanging on to it by a thread. Finally the placenta was birthed and the hard stuff was over. Ben weighed 6lbs 7oz and was 19 inches long. He was and is perfect and is a blessing of a boy. We stayed in the hospital 2 days waiting on my blood work to come back semi normal and we were released on the 4th of July! Doctor told us that since we had severe HELLP with DD and mild HELLP this time we would probably get it again with any subsequent pregnancies. So this concretes the fact that we won't have any more children but I really feel ok with that. We have two perfect kiddos and I'm still here to see them grow, why push our luck!

July 19th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Thanks for sharing Bennett's birth story!
July 20th, 2014, 11:09 AM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
Congratulations!

August 7th, 2014, 09:46 AM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
huge congrats! I'm glad you and baby are doing well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search