Nora's Dramatic Entry to the World

Abandon Ship!

Share your birth stories.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By chihuahuaesque
  • 1 Post By lea23
  • 1 Post By meld10
  • 1 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By ladymellisa20
  • 1 Post By chihuahuaesque

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abandon Ship! LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
chihuahuaesque's Avatar Super Mommy
On Wednesday, July 9th, I started having contractions right before bedtime. Hubby and I started timing them, and eventually they were about 5 minutes apart. I called my midwife's office and she told me that once they are about 2-3 minutes apart to call her back. They never ended up getting that close, and I fell asleep sometime around 4am. I woke up without any contractions.

On Thursday, I had an appointment with my midwife at 4pm and she stripped my membranes. I started having mild contractions on the way home. Around 7pm, my contractions grew stronger and I had a feeling I was going into labor that night. Over the course of the next few hours, my contractions ended up at under 5 minutes apart, so we called my midwife and she said to come down to the birthing center.

We arrived at the birthing center around 11pm. I sat down in bed and my water broke pretty much right away. She checked to see how dilated I was, and I was 2-3cm and completely effaced. Over night, I tried to rest and get some sleep in between contractions.

The next morning around 8am, she checked my dilation and I was at 6cm. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger, but weren't following any normal pattern. Throughout the day, they ranged from a minute to 2 minutes in length, anywhere from 2 to ~7 minutes apart.

Around 2pm, I labored in the tub and had meconium come out... but my midwife told me it was "probably just blood" even though I KNEW it was meconium. This is the first time I started feeling as if something was wrong.

My midwife suggested that I have IV antibiotics (I'm Strep B positive), but then she told me that SHE wouldn't take them so I could turn them down. Of course I took her advice and didn't take them.

Finally, around 6pm, she checked me again and said I was 6-7cm dilated.

This is where I really feel my birth center failed me. I had been in labor at this time for 23 hours, and my dilation hadn't changed in 10 hours.

I continued to labor hard, and as the evening went on, my midwife assured me I was in the "transition" stage of labor. She checked my dilation again at 11pm, and told me I was at 8-9cm... but then said "wait, you're still at 6cm."

She still assured me that everything was fine, and suggested laboring in the tub. My contractions were BAD... and I knew something was just terribly wrong. All of a sudden, my midwife told me that we had to leave and go to the hospital. She rushed us out of there (hubby drove me to the hospital and my mom ran home to take care of our dogs).

Once we got to the hospital, they took me right away. I was running a fever of almost 101. I was hooked up to an IV of antibiotics and moved into a birthing room. I wanted an epidural since I was in so much pain and it was HEAVEN when it kicked in. The doctors were very concerned considering I was in labor for so long, and my fever kept going up. They inserted a catheter into my uterus to measure contractions. My contractions were strong, but they weren't doing anything. I was still 6cm dilated as well.

They hooked me up to Pitocin, and as soon as they did, Nora's heart rate plummeted into the 80s. At this point, I took the option of being prepped for a c-section. It was almost 4am and I had been laboring at this point for over 30 hours.

Everything was so surreal. I had planned on having a natural birth at a birthing center, and here I was being wheeled down to the OR for a c-section.

Nora was born at 4:41am and as soon as they pulled her out, they had to clean out her lungs because she had meconium in them I kept asking if she was okay, and the nurse kept telling me they were working on her. I was so scared she wasn't going to make it.

Finally, we heard her let out a cry. Hubby went over to see her, and when they put her on the scale we couldn't believe how tiny she was- 5lbs, 4oz!

It turned out she was very stuck inside of me- sideways. She wouldn't have been able to be born vaginally no matter what. She also had the cord wrapped around her neck.

I was able to briefly hold her before they took her to be monitored. Hubby was able to go with her and they finished stitching me up and took me to recovery.

We had a rough couple of days. Both of us had infections and had to be on IV antibiotics. Nora wasn't able to keep her body temperature up, and was constantly swaddled in 2 blankets. I couldn't do any skin to skin with her for feedings.

On Tuesday we were able to go home. At first I was very sad about my c-section, but I know that I was VERY brave and it saved our lives. One of my biggest fears is needles (especially IVs) and I feel I conquered so much during her birth. I wish my midwife at the birthing center had actually done what she was supposed to do- I would've transferred to the hospital HOURS before she told me to leave. I ended up really liking my hospital experience- it's a really good hospital just for women and babies, and the staff was very attentive and nice to me. I felt so safe there.

I am so thankful that Nora is doing so well 10 days later. She was back at her birth weight last week! Just 4 days after birth!

Nora Grace
July 12th
4:41am
5lbs, 4oz
19" long
Earthy.Mama and bandriessen like this.

July 22nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
lea23's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow. What an experience. I am sorry. You felt that your team failed you. You were definitely brave and now you have your little girl. Hoping your recovery goes well.
chihuahuaesque likes this.

July 22nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
meld10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry you went through that horrible experience but so happy you and Nora are well. Thanks for sharing your story.

6/12/2013- 8 weeks
July 22nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry it wasn't the birth experience you were hoping for but, So glad you and Nora are doing well now!
July 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Veteran
what an experience. I am soo sorry . But at least you and baby are doing better now. Please tell me you or your Husband chewed out that midwife after waiting so long !!!
July 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
chihuahuaesque's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymellisa20 View Post
what an experience. I am soo sorry . But at least you and baby are doing better now. Please tell me you or your Husband chewed out that midwife after waiting so long !!!
It took the midwife until TUESDAY to call me and leave a message asking how I was doing. I didn't call her back or anything. I want to call the owner of the birthing center (there are 3 midwives there and the owner is one of the midwives) and talk to her about it, but it doesn't seem like they care about me or hearing how I feel.

When we first started going to the birthing center, I was so excited to give birth there- the rooms are beautiful and it seemed like such a nice place. As I started going to more and more appointments, I began to feel less and less comfortable. One of the midwives was constantly trying to sell me stuff and was VERY opinionated about everything from politics to food. I figured that they've delivered hundreds of babies so when it's time for me to deliver it would be fine.

I still want to call and discuss what happened, but I just know it won't do me any good and will make me more angry. I've read some reviews online that are very similar to what I went through and the outcomes of confrontation didn't end in any resolution.
ladymellisa20 likes this.

July 22nd, 2014, 04:41 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I am so happy you all are ok!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing nice for me to say about that MW

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds a bit similar to my story. I am sorry you had to go through all of that. Luckily the prize at the end out weighs everything that happened. So happy you are both safe and healthy!! Thank you for sharing your story!

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 23rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I am sorry you had such a bad experience with that midwife!! Ugh.
What a story! I'm glad you're both okay!

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
July 23rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran
Wow, you two are so lucky. What a horrible experience. Its horrifying there are such inexperienced midwives out there...I'm glad you were close to a medical center.

August 6th, 2014, 02:46 PM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
How scary! I'm glad you and Nora are ok. I hope your next birth goes better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search