Aliyah Marie's arrival

Abandon Ship!

Share your birth stories.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abandon Ship! LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2014, 10:30 AM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry its taken so long to get this written, motherhood to 3 has taken some adjusting to But here it is

On July 10th, my hubby and I decided to drive an hour to my sister's house to visit with her over lunch. I wanted to get away from the phone calls, facebook messages and texts asking if the baby had arrived yet. I had been experiencing prodromal labor for weeks and I was at my wits end.

We arrived at my sister's house around 11am. After hanging out at her house for about 30 minutes, we decided to get ready to go to lunch. While walking out the door, I felt a gush of fluid. I mentioned to everyone that I thought my water had broken. I went to the bathroom and put on a pad. Within a minute, the pad was soaked.

Since my baby had had decels on my last non stress test, and since I had delivered my son within 6 hours of my water breaking I decided to go to the local hospital instead of trying to drive back home to deliver. My sister is the head nurse of labor and delivery at her local hospital so she called the hospital and found out that the OB who delivered her daughter was on call and I knew then that it was meant to be

We ate lunch and headed into Labor and delivery. I checked in and they contacted the hospital I was going to deliver at and my OB to get my records faxed over. I was checked and 3cm dilated and "soft" Baby's heart rate was a bit high and my contractions were coming every 5 minutes. This wasn't anything new, I had been contracting for days. Because of the high heart rate, I agreed to an IV and fluids.

I sat on the birthing ball and walked for 2 hours. My contractions didn't seem to pick up at all. I was checked again at 2pm and no progress.

My nurses were absolutely wonderful. I was the only mom in labor on the floor so I had 3 nurses. They all were co-workers of my sister and her friends. They made sure that my every want/need was taken care of and they knew that I wanted to avoid the pitocin because of my previous experience with it. They also told them that once I dilate to a 4, I dilate very quickly so they were ready for anything They suggested many positions, along with walking and the birthing ball to see if we could get the baby to drop and get my cervix to start dilating. Nothing worked, but we had a good time trying

With my first baby, my labor was very similar and I knew that once I agreed to pitocin and it was started, my contractions would come on hard and fast. I had gone back and forth about wanting an epidural for this delivery (I had one with my first but not my second) and I knew that once I agreed to pitocin I was going to want an epidural.

My pitocin was started at 3pm at the lowest dose possible. After no progress, it was upped an hour later. After laboring for 3 more hours, I asked for my epidural.

The anesthesiologist had already been notified that I was going to want an epidural eventually, so she arrived within 10 minutes of being paged. This was a very welcome surprise since it took my last anesthesiologist nearly an hour to arrive after I asked for that epidural. The epidural procedure went very well. After it was placed, I laid back down and then my blood pressure plummeted to 60-40. I felt like I was floating in a different world and they had to give me some medication to stabilize it. It took about an hour to get to a point where the nurses were comfortable with leaving me to rest for a while. This was the scariest part of my delivery.

I took the next hour to try and sleep, it didn't happen but it was nice to close my eyes and relax. After an hour, I felt a ton of pressure and my epidural completely stopped working.

It was now shift change for the nurses so I was introduced to the best nurse I had ever had. She had been a labor and delivery nurse for 30 years and made my delivery which could have been terrifying absolutely beautiful.

She checked me and said that I was 5cm dilated but completely effaced and a +2 station. My baby's heartrate began dropping with every contraction from 140 to about 60. She called the OB doctor and told him to come. I was repositioned and the pitocin stopped. After breathing through 3 more contractions where my baby's heartrate dropping she said she wanted to try stimulating the baby. She checked me and I was now 7cm dilated. She kept her hand inside of me stimulating the baby's head and making sure that there wasn't continued pressure on her head after contractions. This helped with the decels greatly.

The doctor arrived at 9pm. After checking me he said I had a small lip and went to get changed. I breathed through 2 more contractions with my nurses hand on my baby's head (This could have been strange but she was happy/joking with me the entire time) Once the doctor came back he had the anesthesiologist with him and told me that if my baby's heart rate dropped too much while I was pushing that they were going to put me under and do an emergency c-section. I was terrified. So I pushed 3 times through 2 contractions and Aliyah Marie was born screaming at the top of her lungs and covered from head to toe in vernix. She was having such trouble with the contractions because her cord was wrapped around her neck and then under her arm, so when she was being squeezed, the blood supply was being compromised. She scored 9/9 on her apgars and was completely healthy. She was 6 pounds 14.7 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long. My biggest baby!

She is now 3 weeks old and is such a wonderful baby. I don't know how we ever lived without her.

August 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great birth story - glad everything ended up going well!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

August 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
lea23's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search