Early arrival of Andrew and Annabelle....

Fruits of our labor

Birth stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By babyDamico

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fruits of our labor LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2014, 05:05 PM
babyDamico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im sure this will be lengthy....

I had been struggling with preterm labor and contractions since May. On my second admission to the hospital for PTL they decided to keep me until I delivered. I was admitted on July 5th. I was only 1cm dilated and 80% effaced which was a change from my last check, however they NEVER rechecked me. Until after delivery.... but more on that later!

My contractions came every 3-10 minutes, strong and painful, for the next 11 days....

I was starting to get twice weekly IVIG treatments for the Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia. I just knew they treatment was working and my babies were going to be born with great platelet counts!

On July 14th my sister and niece came to visit me in the hospital. Later that night I got a call from my sister stating that my niece had come down with the stomach flu. So of course, when I started throwing up the next day, I assumed I caught it! I could tell my nurses were concerned when they could not stop the nausea and vomiting with medications. They were literally checking my blood pressure every 5 minutes and it was elevated ONCE.

Everything happened pretty quickly from there... The doctor was in the room in minutes and explained that they thought I was developing Pre-E and would start a 24 hr urine collection and run some labs.... and then she dropped a bomb "You do not look well... and if the labs come back the way I think they will you are delivering today or tomorrow."

My labs were back in less than an hour. She explained that I had developed HELLP syndrome. HELLP Syndrome

After the birth I was researching it... this statement struck me.

The most common reasons for mothers to become critically ill or die are liver rupture or stroke (cerebral edema or cerebral hemorrhage). These can usually be prevented when caught in time. If you or someone you know has any of these symptoms, please see a healthcare provider immediately.

I had HORRIBLE pain in my upper right side... which I had been telling the Drs about. They brushed it off as "normal pregnancy stretching" AND when I would have a contraction it felt like my head was going to explode. Literally... pop from pressure. They told me it was "referred pain from tensing during contractions." I knew this was BS because I KNEW not to tense up during a contraction. I would consciously relax my entire body. I later found out I had signs of cerebral edema.

They also told me I tested positive for DIC
Disseminated intravascular coagulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They told me since ate breakfast at 8 that I they would do the section at 4:00.... they lied. I was in the OR by noon. They placed a central line in my neck.... which was AWFUL!!!!! they gave me two bags of fluid (which I thought was routine..... come to find out, its NOT!) after the fluid they placed the spinal. They started the csection but forgot to get DH. He was brought in as Annabelle was brought out. she came out kicking and screaming 5lbs 11ozs! I sent DH to go see her. Then they brought out Andrew, he was crying... but not as strong..5lbs 7ozs. They had to intubate him to give him medication into his lungs. They were taken to the step down nursery before I got to see them :-( After I was stitched together they massaged my uterus and I began hemorrhaging. They made DH leave the OR while they worked to get me stable.

I was taken to the PACU and was feeling ok. I started getting lightheaded and told the nurse. My blood pressure had dropped and she pulled the sheet back to check my bleeding and calmly went to the door and yelled down the hallway "I need some help!!!" I bled, a lot. they had to insert a balloon into my uterus and fill It with saline to try to control the bleeding.

I was extremely thirsty and chugging water.... so of course I threw it up. afterwards I started feeling really bad again. my husband told me I was blue. evidently when I threw up I pushed the balloon out. that's when MY dr rushed in and told the resident that I was 5cm dilated... that's why the balloon came out. so they had to do it AGAIN. This time they packed my vagina full of gauze to keep the balloon in place. I was finally sent to post partum 7hrs after arriving to PACU. I was on magnesium and bedrest for 24hrs. I received a blood transfusion as well.

Oh, and my babies platelet counts still sucked but they did not need a transfusion and they did not have any bleeding!

I was released 5 days PP and babies after 4 weeks.

I have no pictures of their birth :-(
Jenn-F and FlyingFlower like this.

August 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM
babyDamico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please excuse typos, trying to type holding two babies and a laptop!

August 18th, 2014, 08:50 PM
KeliRevels's Avatar Super Mommy
I love your excuse for you typos How cute!

You were such a great sport through all of this! I never would have guessed that your delivery was so traumatic. So thankful that both babies were safe and healthy and you, too!
August 18th, 2014, 09:21 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Wow, I had no idea things were so scary for you through all of that. So glad you're home making typos on a laptop while holding your 2 precious babies!!! Thanks for sharing!

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
August 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Veteran
That's really intense! I'm so glad all of you are okay. You definitely are brave and went through a lot for them. Nobody can argue how much their mommy loves them
August 19th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
Gosh, I knew you'd been through a lot, but that was even worse than I had imagined. Super, incredibly, horribly scary. I just want to reach through the screen and give you an enormous hug. At least the payoff was incredible, with those two beautiful babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeliRevels View Post
I love your excuse for you typos How cute!
Ditto!

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
August 19th, 2014, 03:53 AM
KHawk's Avatar Super Mommy
I am so very glad you and the twins are ok. I cannot imagine going through any of that. Many many hugs and well wishes... hopefully, it's smooth sailing from here with those two gorgeous babies. Much love!

And thank you so much for sharing your story. Each is beautiful.
August 20th, 2014, 01:46 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh, how scary! I am so glad you are okay. I am sorry you weren't able to get any pictures from your birth. I am so happy that you are home now with your two beautiful babies and that everything turned out okay.

August 20th, 2014, 03:28 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow; I'm so sorry for you having to go through all that I had no idea...

Ultimately though, I'm glad you and babies are doing well! They are beautiful!
August 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
My goodness. I hadn't realized you were going through so much. How scary. I'm glad you and babies are all happy healthy and home now! At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
August 21st, 2014, 11:51 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Wow! What a scary time you had I can't believe you were discharged so soon as well! Did you feel ok to go home at that point?!

I'm glad that we all now know that you and babies are home and doing well after such an ordeal!

Congrats on your lovely lil babies! You're a champion!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

August 22nd, 2014, 06:46 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Whoa. Terrifying. Poor mama!!!! ;( you are a warrior. With super cute babies.

August 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kinda seems like no one here realized you went through such a traumatic experience! I know I didn't! In fact, I didn't even realize you were in the hospital for those 11 days leading up to delivery - did I just miss that somewhere???

A lot of that sounds scary, but I'm really glad to hear that all is well now and that you were obviously in very good hands!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search