Stitch of the Day

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Knitting, Crochet and Macrame Techniques & Patterns LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Super Mommy
Sorry girls, once again I've slacked off, these darn migraines have been hitting me everyday and Stormy has been going to the doctor almost every week.
Here is another trick that is made simply by inserting your hook someplace other than where it usually goes. It's called the spike stitch. This stitch creates long strands of yarn across both the front and back of your fabric, and it's particularly nice when made with 2 or more colors, so that yarn of the second color looks like it's dipping down into the previous row - almost like one of those 1970s sand terraruim designs. It can be made using stitches of any length. To do a spike, make your stitch in the usual way, but first insert your hook into a stitch from the row below - there's usually something of a hole there for you to stick your hook into. And remember, crochet stitches are staggered so this hole may not be directly below the next stitch but off to the side a bit. Now when you draw up your yarn, you need to draw up a much longer loop than usual. so that you can get the sitch up to the row where it's supposed to be in the first place (naughty row dipping stitch!). Complete the stitch as usual. Enjoy!

TAKEN FROM THE SNB HAPPY HOOKER BOOK BY DEBBIE STOLLER
sorry no video today, I couldnt find one but if anyone else can please post it!!
May 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
sorry I took so long to respond but I couldnt find a video ... instead I found a pic of a finished item along with more explanation if this helps anyone:

Quote:
The spike stitch is merely a single crochet placed 2 or more rows below your working row and drawn up to the height of a standard sc. A SP-2 would be a spike stitch worked 2 rows below, and a SP-4 would be one worked into the 4th row down from your working row (i.e., if you were on the 6th Row of your pattern and you were instructed to make a SP-4, you would work it into the stitch directly 4 rows below, in the 2nd Row.).

Fabric made from patterns of spike stitches is quite thick and stiff, as the spikes are worked all the way around 2 or more rows. As a result it is probably not the best stitch for a lightweight shawl or summer sweater. It is, however, well suited for household items such as pillow shams & hot pads, or accessories like purses and totes.

Spike stitches of various lengths can be used in combination with each other to create geometric patterns in your completed projects. When combined with stripes of alternating colors, the possible results are without limit. To show you what I mean, I have designed 2 patterns that use similar versions of spike stitch patterns, which yield dramatically different finished objects.
[/b]
xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
October 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Melode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW THATS CUTE NEVER SAW THAT ONE BEFORE I THINK I AM GOING TO HAVE TO TRY THIS ONE

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search