hi ladies!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Knitting, Crochet and Macrame Techniques & Patterns LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hi!! im valarie. i have been researching knitting for the past week and got my yarn and needles last night. i absolutely love that link form this board to knittinghelp.com, that place rocks!!

i already know ohw to cast on and then get to knitting the first row and such, but im having a problem...it's always too tight! i can't seem to loosen my original cast on and then as i knit the first row it gets even tighter. im not sure if it is just me or the needles or the yarn.

i got 5.5 needles and my yarn says worsted medium 4 (not sure what all that means) but it said that 5 & 5.5 needles would be used for that yarn and that is what i have....so i figure the problem is me

any tips or help??
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 16th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
You can try casting on with a needle a few sizes bigger and then switching back to smaller needles to knit your piece. Or just for practicing, go ahead and stick to the bigger needles! I learned on size 6's and 8's with worsted weight yarn.

Oh yeah.. I also wanted to ask, what kind of cast on are you using? The backward loop method is a good beginner one and is really stretchy!

November 16th, 2007, 11:55 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
im using long-tail...maybe i will give a different cast on a try. and im definitely going to pick up bigger needles.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
*Fiona*
I'm just re-newing my knitting (did it in school many moons ago) and am a basic beginner... knit and purl is about my limit lol

I've found I've been holding the piece of wool going to the ball too tight... hence making my stitches tight, try and hold it loosly so it creates looser stitches... also deffo agree with above on bigger needles.

Not sure what type of needles you have... I started with plastic (think they were plastic!) and bought metal ones last week... metal are MUCH better!
November 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A big part of it is just relaxing. Try knitting a few rows without worrying about whether your stitches are even and then look back at it. I found that for me the relaxation came with time, and it didn't take long. The first thing I knit was a blanket for my first niece...and it's by no means perfect...but it's still loved. I think it's kind of fun to be able to see your progress like that. I know many would tell you to knit a whole bunch of practice things, but personally I'm more of a just leap right in kind of person. So before I even made a swatch I knit an entire layette set. I could see so many mistakes in it when I first made it, but looking back on it now, I'm actually pretty impressed that was my first project.
Happy knitting!

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search