Epi Pen-people!

Forum: Food Allergies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I got so irritated yesterday with someone regarding Nathan's peanut allergy. She asked my why I didn't feel comfortable being at this baby shower and why would I take my child into a situation that could risk his health. So we had a nice conversation and after she found out about his peanut allergy you know what she said to me? She said well just get an epi pen and take it with you so you don't have to worry about it.....

It's a good thing this conversation was online b/c had it been face to face she may have a black eye

Duh...sure I won't worry about taking him around peanuts because all I have to do is stab him in his little leg with his epi pen and all is well......

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant people are on food allergy issues.
September 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I think people are under the assumption that there is nothing to an epipen. you stick it in it shoots a little bit of stuff in and they are fine! No follow up necessary! NOOO!!! Ten seconds of stabbing a pointed object into your childs leg while they can't breathe and they are fighting you because you are hurting them. Then after that the epi pen only lasts for a bit. You still have to take them to the hospital for further treatment! People don't realize what it is like. They think oh just do that and forget about it. Have them go through that and maybe they won't be so flippant about it!

ETA: The epipen will only subside side effects for 20 minutes...not completely...people really just don't get it...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Last edited by i3ai3ydanny; September 12th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
September 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get that a lot too; Well you can let him eat it this one time; all that will happen is he'll get a rash for a day or two. I'm like yeah, but you don't have to sit there and watch him not even be able to watch TV without scratching his skin off..or not be able to go to sleep because he is miserably itchy. It is sooo intensly aggravating!
Did you end up going to the shower?

September 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
We went and it was okay. My aunt got considerably mad when I gave him his Hostess cupcake when she was giving everyone else cake. She said "how do you know that is safe and this isn't". I just said because I read the label on these and not your cake mixes. I still don't understand why people get so mad about it. I was nervous b/c towards the end she was giving candy to all the kids (but neglected Nathan thankfullly) but they were all walking around eating chocolate candy but we left soon after that started.
September 15th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
playing devils advocate a bit, I was thinking about it....I think sometimes people feel like its not about the food; its "them". It's "my cooking" you are so worried about. Does that make sense? I think my ILs felt that way at first; that I just didn't want Toby to eat their food. Once they started seeing that we really were that way with him everywhere, all the time; they got less defensive about it.
I don't know if that's your aunts/family's problem or not; but maybe it could be contributing.

September 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
jeepgirl9478's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the same problem with church. Everyone gives me a hard time about not putting her in childrens church but every other toddler in there is walking around with a sippy cup of milk and cheese crackers in hand. She doesn't know she can't steal one from the other kids. And everyone thinks it would be no big deal to just give her the epi if she gets ahold of it.

Thanks .hoodihoo.this. for the siggy!!
September 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry that you deal with that. I do too in a way. People just say "well he can still breathe if he eats it, so it is ok." No it is not! He most likely has celiacs, so gluten eats at his stomach pretty much. Dairy and soy make him sick to his stomach, so we end up with him having diarrhea while getting hives, being cranky, and just feeling lousy. I have to stay on top of it constantly. My parents have to be the only ones who try really hard to do their best. They use to not, but after seeing how much better he is, my dad even tries to make up recipes of things especially for him. Oh and people give me a hard time about not putting him into preschool, the care during church, and etc. but I will not risk my child's health for the convenience of not having to argue with people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search