Cows Milk protein allergy and snacks

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
TarrahLovesHuLo's Avatar Mega Super Tired Mommy
Hi there...I introduced myself in another thread, but I should do it here to. My name is Tarrah. My LO is London, and she is almost 10months old. She has a cows milk protein allergy (which I've been reading that a lot of your LOs do too).

I was hoping for some advice on snacks. She is only just beginning to eat things that aren't baby food from a jar. I'm finding only fruit and veg, but I know there is more options out there. I want to be able to give her the regular transitional dissolvables like mum mums and puffs but I'm afraid they'll set her off. She isn't ANA but more gastro and eczema prone.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also...I was hoping to know the brand of cake mixes and muffin mixes you use, so I can make her 1st birthday cake. Icing too. THANKS LADIES!!
September 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hm: just off the top of my head; cheerios are a huge item in our house. Also pretzles(the Golds?Rolds? Something like that), and Lays has a version of chips, the light blue ones advertised as "lightly salted". We do a lot of fruit cups/applesauce type stuff too.
The biggest advice I could offer is just start reading labels like crazy when you are shopping. That is the best way to find stuff, imo. Check out the organic/whole foods type section of the grocery store, there's an IANs brand that is got a lot of allergen free, has frozen fish sticks/chicken fingers etc. That's where I get the cake mix stuff from too. (Mentioned in other post)

September 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny can have the Walmart brand chicken nuggets, walmart brand fudge striped cookies, graham crackers I think but don't have any right now so don't quote me...icings are pretty easy actually...i think pillsbury...(blue one) is milk free in many of them but read the label before hand. Cake mixes I don't know because he has so many other allergies that we have to buy cherrybrook kitchen brand. If you have a kroger near you they have an entire section that is soy based with puddings and such. Yo Soy yogurt is NOT milk free so don't try that but there are coconut milk based ice creams turtle mountain brand I think...Danny and I love them. The longer you shop for her with the allergies the more things you will find. I would go to the grocery store the first time after getting a new allergy and spend 3-4 hours to get the equivelant of a hand held basket 3/4 full of groceries...it was a nightmare but you get a routine and start to know what she can have. Make sure you check labels everytime because they do change ingredients occasionally and can add an allergen in.

Danny has digestive reactions to milk as well, soy is the same way so if she isn't allergic to soy you can replace most things with something soy. They tend to keep together as allergens often times though so if you notice the milk symptoms and she has had no milk you will want to check with your allergist on soy as well...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

September 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are quite a few options out there really for just a milk allergy. I have found lots of great stuff for my son even, and he is allergic to milk, soy, and gluten. LOL! Slim picks if you don't know what to look for.

Yogurt: Soy yogurts really to me taste lousy, but we found this yogurt by So Delicious that is coconut milk based. My son loves it, and honestly I think it tastes great too. Definitely look for that if you want yogurt.

Cake Mix: Really just read boxes. We have to get gluten free too, so our favorites are different than yours would be. If you want to go allergen free though then Namaste is a pretty tasty brand to use for almost everything.

Frosting: Read boxes again. We love one that we used for DS's birthday, but I can't remember the brand. I think it was Cherrybrook Kitchen vanilla frosting in a tub. We just added a melted rice milk candy bar to it, and oh it was delicious. My son just adored it.

Then we eat alot of applesauce, fruits, veggies, dairy free cheese with crackers and salami (yes my kids love these...just find dairy free crackers), meats, potatoes, and etc. Oh and bake alot. You can make lots of stuff with rice milk for your little one. Just look up recipes online. I know that Go Dairy Free | Your Information Resource for Dairy Free Living is one website out there with info on it.

Good luck!

September 21st, 2009, 05:43 AM
AlisonHeathersMama
The finger foods we gave Sarah first were things like puffed rice cereal, rice krispies, tiny pieces of cut up fruit or veggies, rice rusks. Now she likes graham crackers, saltines, pita bread, rice chex.
September 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
TarrahLovesHuLo's Avatar Mega Super Tired Mommy
Thanks everyone, you have been a big help. She is intolerant to soy aswell, but there have been many helpful suggestions. Thanks again!!
September 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no problem! Check back in anytime

September 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
AlisonHeathersMama
Everything I listed is soy free. Just be careful with the pita bread, some brands use soy flour.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search