Cows Milk Intolerance? - Update From Dr -

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi

My name is Tam and I have a 1 year old daughter Summer.

I was EPing until Summer was 10 months old, I got mastitis and it KILLED my supply, I was in Hawaii on vacation at the time so I had to suppliment with formula, and I got lazy and decided just to wean her to formula.

She has been completely fine on Nestle GoodStart formula (the orange can) I tried to switch her to the GoodStart2 formula a month or so ago and she became horribly constipated and had a wicked diaper rash.. it was so red and so raw even water made her cry.

I ditched the goodstart 2 and put her back on the regular goodstart and all was fine.

Fastforward to this week, I started to wean her onto cows milk. I have been making her formula as normal but adding an additional 1oz of cows milk into her bottles.

She has had diarrhea constantly ALL week and its not getting better, I am talking 4-6 times a day.

She has never had issues with "milk based" stuff before, she eats cheese and yoghurt with no issues.

Do you think she could have a milk protein issue? I know when I read the can for the goodstart2 that it was similar to cows milk.

I have emailed her Peditrician but I don't know when she will get back to me.

In the meantime I have stopped giving her cows milk and she is on regualr formula until I figgure out what to do.

I "think" it might be a milk protein issue, as the formula has most of the proteins already broken down, but I really don't know.

Do any of you have experience with this? where should I go from here? should I try lactose free cows milk? soy milk? rice milk? almond milk? coconut milk??

I am not going to go the whole Goats Milk route.. I was givien goats milk when i was younger and I have not touched anything dairy since (I was 10 at the time) thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorry for the novel

--------------

So Summer's Pedi just sent me an email. She sent me one yesterday that said she didn't think Summer could have a cows milk protein/milk intollerance if she has been on cows milk formula for 2 months with no problems.

She just sent me another email:
Quote:

Tamarin,

I spoke to our pediatric gastroenterologist today for his opinion about Summer's diarrhea. He agreed with me that it is unlikely milk allergy/intolerance since she has always done well on the formula, as well as cheese and yogurt. He advised holding off on the whole milk for about a week or two, then slowly introducing a small amount at a time again. Also consider trying a new gallon of milk, just in case. Let me know how it goes.
so now I have no idea whats going on, she was completely fine until I started cows milk... her diaper rash is still awful and she still does have some "loose stools" its definately not diarrhea anymore, which makes me think it had to have been the cows milk, because the day after I stopped giving her cows milk her stools started to become more :firm:

Last edited by ::MummyToThree::; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: updated
September 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well first of all welcome. I know how it is trying to figure out what your child needs. First I'd talk to your pediatrician while keeping her on the formula, since she is so young. I don't know what is recommended for someone so young. Next if you are to use a milk substitute, I recommend rice milk since that is what my son likes. I've heard that Hemp milk is higher in the good fats, but my son won't touch it. LOL! Soy might work, but here it made my son really sick, which means I don't really have too much experience with soy products.

Oh and I understand the goats milk problem. My son was on it for awhile, but we switched to rice milk since it is a bit easier to find and more recommended for him due to his list of allergies. I hate the taste of it too, but my son really liked it. It could be a good option for your little girl, but really rice milk is definitely easier to find, buy, and store (no refrigeration until after it is opened makes keeping a stock in the house a bit easier).

September 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia0406 View Post
Well first of all welcome. I know how it is trying to figure out what your child needs. First I'd talk to your pediatrician while keeping her on the formula, since she is so young. I don't know what is recommended for someone so young. Next if you are to use a milk substitute, I recommend rice milk since that is what my son likes. I've heard that Hemp milk is higher in the good fats, but my son won't touch it. LOL! Soy might work, but here it made my son really sick, which means I don't really have too much experience with soy products.

Oh and I understand the goats milk problem. My son was on it for awhile, but we switched to rice milk since it is a bit easier to find and more recommended for him due to his list of allergies. I hate the taste of it too, but my son really liked it. It could be a good option for your little girl, but really rice milk is definitely easier to find, buy, and store (no refrigeration until after it is opened makes keeping a stock in the house a bit easier).
Thanks for the welcome

I will definately wait to see what her Pedi says about the "milk" issue.

When we were starting cereal any that had soy in them made her projectile vomit... so maybe I should steer clear of soy milk... I totally forgot about that!

I did look at ricemilk at the sore, but it says not recommended for children under 2 years, but I am sure if her Pedi suggests it then it should be ok.

I REALLY don't want to go the goats milk option,... I honestly feel sick... eek!

I will update when I hear from her Pedi.
September 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
AlisonHeathersMama
Sarah's allergist and pedi want her to stay on her formula until 18 months because they feel the alternative milks don't have enough fats and proteins. But they did give me the ok to use rice milk in recipes. I also give her cereal in the morning with some rice milk. I bet it is fine to keep using the formula longer, but definitely check with the Dr.
September 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yea, the fat content is so low in rice milk it doesn't do much nutritionally, which is why its not recommended for under 2. Coconut/almond milk might be ok for her if you don't have any worries about nut allergies. Honestly though, I'd probably just keep her on the formula and use the rice milk to cook with. If the formula's working its probably going to provide more nutrients etc...kwim?
And welcome from me too I'm Jenna, mom to Toby(3) & Logan(15m).

September 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks everyone

I put an update in the first post
September 23rd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hm...well let us know how that works for you, I would try it for docs sake; then I think if it happens again I would ask for a referral to a pediatric allergist....I know neither of you want those symptoms to hang around!

October 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
ditto pediatric allergist and I would question what your pedi told you. My son was on Gentlease until 15 months and we transitioned him to whole milk. He was just fine and went to 2% at age 2 and then we started having problems. Not just a full swing from constipation (aside from pellets.....almost 2 weeks without a decent movement) to diarrhea, but also frequent vomiting.

We switched him to lactose-free milk in January this year (at 3.5 yo) and the problems seem to have almost disappeared. We use rice-based cheese for his grilled cheese sandwiches and he gets lactose-free ice cream. We limit the amount of cow's-milk based food items he gets and the bowels are under control as is the vomiting.

It's possible to develop allergies and intolerances later on. My nephew never showed an allergy to tree nuts until age 6.

October 19th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Ditto to My Ducky Sam...I would question the ped on this...often peds are not very accepting of early childhood allergies as I found out with 2 of Danny's 3 so far. It sounds like a lactose issue to me. The protiens in the formula are broken down further and I don't think they normally have lactose...the sugar...in them. Check the label for that though. Cheese and yogurt are normally okay for lactose intolerance depending on the severity even if the child can't tolerate milk or ice cream. I would suggest to try lactose free milk next time and maybe just get a pint size box thing of the reg milk unless you guys use it too. It sounds to me like it is not a protien issue becuase she can handle cheese, yogurt, and milk protien based formula.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search