Food Challenge question...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
Hi ladies, I don't post here often (twice maybe?) but I lurk and wanted to ask you a question.

My 3yo has celiac disease and is allergic to eggs and seafood and is lactose intollerant. We had food challenged her with eggs a few months ago and while she didn't break out in hives, her bowels definatly let me know she was having a reaction. Well, we decided to food challenge her again over the weekend but this time with organic eggs that we got at the farmers market. So far, absolutely NO reaction. So, here's my question... about a year ago I had her RAST tested and it came back COMPLETELY negative so the nurse suggested (out of the doctors ear shot) that it could be something that is fed to the chicken or meds given to the chicken that she was reacting to. I was a medic for 10+ years and I know what an allergic reaction looks like... when a child ingests something and within minutes starts breaking out in hives around her mouth, its an allergy. So.... with no reaction to the organic eggs, I have no idea if the nurse was right or if she's outgrown the allergy. I know the only way to know for sure is to give her some regular eggs, but... I don't want to put her thru that if the difference really is the fact that these were organic (we're in Germany, as far as I know the rules are stricter about what is labeled 'organic' but I'm not certain).

Any experience with allergies to commercially available food vs no reaction to the orgaic version of the same food? She still doesn't tollerate shellfish or milk (daddy made some risotto with shrimp, took the shrimp out of hers and of course she had a reaction and mommy almost killed daddy) and I realize shellfish may be a lifelong thing. Any suggestions?

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
October 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't been able to keep my boys skin clear enough long enough to feel like I'm ready for food challenges, so I really have no advice or input on that. I have no idea on the organic vs. "regular" ; but it makes good logical sense to me that she could be reacting to one of the non-natural elements. Maybe if you really wanted to try the eggs, you could just do the yolk since the white is more allergenic? Idk. I'm thinking if it was me I'd want to know if she's grown out of it or not, so I'd try just like 1 bite and see; with a good dose of benadryl ready. kwim? I'm really hoping somebody else out there will know more about organic vs inorganic than I do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search