Patch testing questions

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
jeepgirl9478's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dd goes next week to get patch testing done and I have no idea what it consists of or how long it will take to put it on. Anyone have this done and want to share their exprience with me??

Thanks .hoodihoo.this. for the siggy!!
October 27th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
None of mine have ever had it done..and I'm not sure what the test is.. I'm thinking it is something like they take the allergen and put a tiny bit on the patch onto the skin, and then come back and measure something on the skin? But I really have no idea on your questions...Has she already had testing done for allergies before this?

October 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
No this is the first testing she will have done. We have to make an 8 hour drive just to do it so I doubt she will have more done for awhile. They are doing the patch test because they said it will show allergies that cause stomach problems more than the other tests. She has had a bleeding stomach and they can't scope her because she is allergic to anasthsia so they are hoping the allergy test will show something. We already know she is allergic to milk and we have been avoiding, fish , shell fish and nuts of any kind.

October 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
wow how scary. That's a long drive, man! I thought we had it bad with our 2 1/2 hour one. Definitely let us know how it goes. If she has issues with milk and nuts, it is really common to have issues with soy too. Have you tried eliminating stuff like beans/peas/soy products? Or does she eat that stuff with no obvious issues?

October 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny had a patch test done. There are little aluminum caps that they place ground or powdered milk, corn, wheat, and soy into . These are then taped in place on the skin for 48 hours. Try to get them to tape them down well otherwise they may start to fall off and you will have to add more tape. They take about 10-15 minutes to apply and they stay on for 48 hours. If you go in on Monday you will have to go again on Wednesday so you may want to make a short vacation out of it so you don't have to drive so far 4 times if you can. When she goes in to get the patches off after 48 hours they will take all the tape off which is the child's least favorite part. Her skin will most likely be read and irritated because of the tape but as soon as they get the test results they can put hydrocortizonbe cream on her back to stop the itching. Once the caps are off they will let her play or snuggle for 15 minutes them come into look at her back where the caps were. There are 5 caps total as one is a control and that will react regardless. They will tell you that if during the test you see red swelling or hives that sticks out from the tape to where you can see if to bring her in. Where the caps were there will be a circle that still has a bit of the powder or corn meal on her skin and where those circles are they will either look red and inflamed after 15 minutes or still look like her normal pinkish skin. The ones that turn red and inflamed are the ones she is allergic to and they will be able to tell you those immediately. The patches can also react up to another 48 hours after the patches are removed though that is uncommon. If this happens make sure to ask them if you could simply send pictures via email or if you would have to be seen again. Danny was a bit fussy when he had the tape on his back but not too bad. He cried when he had the tape pulled off and had a few blisters but he is allergic to bandaids and such anyway..they just had no choice... He also had stomach issues with his and milk and soy came up positive. Keep in mind that only certain foods will show up this way and the list I gave may not have been comprehensive but if she has a non-IgE allergy to milk and soy which does not show up on a blood test or skin prick test it will show up here. If it does not and you know she doesn't tolerate it that doesn't mean that she can have it anyway but you allready know that.

Sorry that is so scatterbrained but I hope you can make sense of it. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Sarah and Danny

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

October 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for sharing Sarah! That was really informative!

October 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks so much Sarah! That helps make sense of things. We will be staying the whole week. She has her first appt. on Monday, then gets the patchs off on Wed. and goes back on Thursday or Friday to get them checked again. What is the non IgE allergy. I really don't know anything about the allergies since this will be our first visit with an allergist and no one at our hospital has seen a kid with a real milk allergy, so they are no help. She has only had cow milk threw me as i am still breastfeeding. When she was 6 weeks she had awful eczema and was projectile vomiting all the time, then when she was close to a year I had milk to see if she would react and when she nursed she would have start coughing and gaging like she was having trouble breathing and also broke and started vomiting. Then we thought it was ok for me to have tiny tiny amounts of milk like a peice of bread that contained it, but she started throwing up dried blood, so I stoped all things with milk even if it was the tinist bit and that stoped, but then she had some BK fries not realizing cheesy tots were cooked in the same oil and her stomach started bleeding again.. I guess my reason for telling you that was to see if it is a IgE or non IgE allergy. She also randomly breaks out in hives and were not sure what from.

October 31st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Most allergies such as anaphylaxis to anything, hives, swelling, etc. are caused by a part of the immune system labeled IgE. These particular cells are particularly active in food allergies where they think the food is poison and will attack it in turn causing more physical reactions...outside or ANA (anaphylaxis) sort of things... Non-IgE mediated allergies are any sort of allergy that will not show up on a skin prick test or a RAST (blood test) because they stimulate IgE reactions. Non-IgE is a vague term for a complex variety of other causes of allergies...anything not mediated by IgE cells. You may want to ask him about MPIES...Milk Protien Induced Entercolitis Syndrome...that is where the digestive system will pretty much throw itself into a revolt for anywhere from a few hours to a few week after ingesting that specific food protien...MPIES is specifically for milk but FPIES is general for Food Protein etc... What your daughter is having a problem with sounds like what Danny had a problem with only more severe. Danny was BF and I had to cut milk out at 3 weeks old because of the EXTREME gassiness and vomiting he had. Milk was the first thing I cut out and it worked mostly. At nine months old we found out he was allergic to eggs which caused the remaining 12-15 times daily vomitting...hard to believe it was an improvement huh? It is really good that you have been able to make a week out of it! That will make it much easier for you as well as your LO. Make sure you bring her lovies so that she will be soothed away from home with familiar items as well as people.

As someone else has said when someone is allergic to milk it almost goes hand in hand for some reason with soy. They will most likely check for several allergies while she is there especially with you guys living so far away to try to avoid future visits. If they decide to do skin prick testing for common allergens she will not be happy about it. This is mostly because she cannot touch the areas for 15 minutes to anything...not really because it hurts much.

Regarding the Ige vs. non-IgE only a test will say for sure but it sounds like it to me based on what Danny has had...GI issues related to allergies are the majority of the time Non-IgE...however...with the types of reactions she has in addition to the GI it makes me wonder if it is more than just non-IgE or if it is just severe non-IgE reactions...that is probably not a lot of help but I hope it is some...

Have you checked with your insurance company to find an allergist closer to you? Eight hours is a REALLY long way to drive and if she does have a severe allergy she will most likely go at least once every 3-6 months...your insurance company should be able to locate one by miles from your zip code...ex-within 50 miles of 37920...etc... that would help for future visits if you can find someone...

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE ONSIES WITH YOU!!! That will keep her more on the out of sight out of mind sort of idea and will keep things from rubbing the tape or catching on the tape...good luck with everything and I hope you get some answers!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks again Sarah.. I am going to google that MPIES. We see the allergist today so hopefully we can figure some things out. As for the insurence we are millitary so we go where they say. There is an allergist in our town that comes highly recomemded but he is not listed as a provider by the Army. They do pay for all of our costs while here, food,gas, hotel, so it's not too bad.. kinda like a mini vaccation and DH gets payed for time off work to be here with us.

November 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I hope it goes really well..Let us know how it goes and what they say!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search