Hi all

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We've discovered Raeden is allergic to dairy. I've cut all dairy out and she's doing so much better We're in the middle of allergy testing to see what all she's allergic to. Since she's a preemie they siad it's very common for her to have more then one allergy.

I am allergic to fish and have a lactose intollerance (1 peice of cheese doens't bug me but a glass of milk does)
April 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and Welcome!
we're waiting to do the allergy test on damen until he's maybe 5. right now we know he is allergic to peanuts/peanut products (learned that the hard way) but as far as other things, not yet.
April 12th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Hi and Welcome!
we're waiting to do the allergy test on damen until he's maybe 5. right now we know he is allergic to peanuts/peanut products (learned that the hard way) but as far as other things, not yet.[/b]
Hi there! I started at this site to get info for my son Chris (obviously, hence the name) but recently found out the baby Katie who is just 2 is allergic to peanuts. Also the hardway. Her little lips just touched the stuff and she started spitting and clawing at her mouth. Within 5 minutes (I swear to you it couldnt have been that long) her left eye was swollen shut, her right eye was well on its way and she was already having trouble breathing. When the paramedics got there they gave her a shot of epinephrine and it didnt work. Ended up, they didnt want to risk her not making it to the childrens hospital so she went to local one. Everything worked out ok but do I even have to tell you how horrible I felt? I am picking up her epipen scrip Friday but if it didnt work in the ambulance, will it work if we have to use it?
April 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
hi and welcome!!!
wow, that must have been so scary for you! glad she is ok!!!
the epinephrine maybe didn't work because the reaction was too advanced.......by having the epi pen on hand, if you see signs of a reaction, you could give it to her and since you will be able to catch it alot faster than waiting on the EMT's it should help her. i would definately ask the dr. about it though - maybe there is something else you could get as a backup.
also, if she had that bad of a reaction, i would be getting her to an allergist ASAP to get the scratch test done on her. that way you won't have anymore surprises on what she is allergic to.
we are waiting a little while to get damen the test, but his reaction to peanuts wasn't nearly as severe as Katie's.....good luck and glad you found us down here!
April 18th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Now, hubby and I have found ourselves watching everything thing she does after she puts something in her mouth. I mean everything. We don't even really eat our dinner because of watching her every move. When she even rubs at an eye, we both literally stop breathing just waiting to see whats gonna happen. Oh, this is kinda funny, we threw the nightgown away she had been wearing that night. We put it on her one night and it was just too strange a feeling.
As far as the allergist, hubbys insurance is odd. We have to, of course, have a referall from her ped then the reports from the hospital that night and the ambulance reports have to be sent to the insurance co. I guess they think we are lying and love spending money so much. Until then, its epipen and watching every move she makes while she eats.

Oh, on Easter, we went to a friends house. She is actually my partner here at work and there were TONS of people there. Luckily, her brother is a fireman and the ambulance people and all were there but I held a little mini conference with them. Basically, threatened their life if they came near Katie with peanut butter and Chris with sugar. The Easter party went just fine after that
April 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Hi all! I have a lot of recent experience with the peanut allergy problem. My 18 month old son experienced hives and flushing after eating a bite of a peanut butter sandwhich at 12 months. A few weeks later, the same thing happened at daycare. We didn't test for the allergy, but suspected it, so avoided peanuts. However I accidentally gave him a drink of a protein shake that had peanut butter in it. He had another reaction, but this time also threw up. At that point, we talked to an allergist and learned that all of these reactions are considered to be anaphylactic (and life threatening because they tend to progress with each exposure). Even though he was only 16 months at the time, he did undergo allergy testing (to determine a baseline for his allergy and to see what else we need to avoid). We now carry an epi-pen and benadryl everywhere we go.

Chris' mom... How scary! I bet the reason the epi didn't work was because it was administered late in the reaction. Another thougth - the epi has to be kept at a constant temperature and the medicine is only good for approximately 1 year. I wonder if the initial dose was somehow not effective. I am freaked out about it not working too, but the doctors I have talked to have assured me that in the cases the drug doesn't work, there was probably another reason.

BTW - for testing for peanut allergies, never do the scratch test. That involves actual exposure to peanut proteins. Insist on a blood test (RAST) which involves no exposure.
April 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Quote:
BTW - for testing for peanut allergies, never do the scratch test. That involves actual exposure to peanut proteins. Insist on a blood test (RAST) which involves no exposure.[/b]
can they run the whole allergy screen from a blood test, or just for peanuts? i got the scratch test a few years ago and just really dont want to put damen through that (i was allergic to everything and was MISERABLE!!! then had to go back for round 2 with stronger doses for the things i just kinda reacted too)

damen's reaction to PB was blisters and itchiness on his tongue. thats probably anaphylactic, huh? guess i'd better just break down and do it.
April 20th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome, i have a Wheat, flour and Gluten allergie
April 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
My son was RAST (blood) tested for allergies to peanuts, coconut, sunflower - and a few other tree nuts. He was only 16 months old at the time and they took 3 vials of blood out of his arm. I wish I would have had him tested for eggs, shellfish and wheat (the other major allergens) at the same time, but I didn't think to ask.

When we first went to the allergist, I hadn't intended on having him tested as I didn't want to put him through that. Our pediatrician had also said we'd wait to test. But, by the time I talked to the allergist and he explained all the reasons to do it now, I stopped in the lab on my way out...

The blood draw was a lot harder on me than it was him. I held him on my lap, he wimpered a little bit when they first put the needle in (I broke out in a cold sweat and just about passed out!), but it's like he knew this was something we had to do. It sucks though!
April 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so happy to see this board. I have 2 allergy kids.

Zack is allergic to eggs (anaphylactic), dairy, chicken, turkey, pork, peas, (per skin testing) & we suspect spinach as well.

Ethan is (so far) allergic to corn & dairy per the RAST. He has just started on solids and no adverse reactions so far *knocking on wood*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search