Living Allergy Free Resources

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As if getting the diagnosis of food allergies isn't bad enough; suddenly you have to find a way to avoid all the allergic foods and find a new way to feed your little one! Getting started in this world of allergies is a lot harder than maintaining, and I'm hoping this thread will make that transition a little easier for you.

The biggest advice you will get in starting to live allergy free is to read the labels on the food before you buy it!! This is going to require some more lengthy trips to the grocery store than you are used to, but it will be well worth the effort.
Here's some staples you can get started with; please feel free to adapt them to fit your needs!

Typically top 8 allergen-free foods are:
Fresh fruit-bananas, strawberries, grapes, apples, peaches, melons, kiwi..so on and so forth.

Fresh veggies-but not beans if you need to be soy free. Think fresh broccoli, carrots, zuchini, squash, cauliflour, celery, greens, sweet/english/early peas are usually safe for soy allergies as well. Sweet and regular potatoes.

Meats: Meats are typically safe foods, it is the seasonings and marinades to be careful of. Any meat that is pre-marinated, ie a "Lemon Garlic Pork Loin" needs to be carefully read however. But ground beef/turkey, pork, chicken all the typical meat section choices are safe. Worcesteshire and soy sauce are out as marinades if you have a soy allergy, and you will probably find it easiest in the beginning to simply use a little olive oil and salt/pepper. Several of the "Mrs. Dash" seasonings have worked well in my house. (The original blend is the one I use most, and is allergy free)

Spaghetti has been a go-to meal as well; simply check the pasta for allergens, and choose a sauce (I use "Barilla Marinara w/ Olive Oil").

Hot Dogs are usually safe, I don't think I've found one that isn't yet, from the cheapest to the more expensive.

White rice is also a typically safe food, check the ingredients on the brand you choose.

~~Some foods to definately avoid would be just about anything in a box or a bag at first. As you read labels of the foods you want, you will begin to find what your child can and can't eat, but typically processed foods are full of allergens. Examples: Cookies, snack cakes, instant mashed potatoes, easy-mac, Gerber's Toddler meals.. It will feel at first like you can't have anything that is easy to make...and basically that's correct. But you will find substitutes and things that are easy to make.

Here are some websites that can help as well:
www.cookingallergyfree.com
free site that lets you type in the foods to avoid and it gives you recipes without those foods, as well as shopping lists!

www.divvies.com
Nut, dairy and egg free snacks

www.faan.org
General allergy information

www.foodallergy.org
General allergy information, as well as an option to get email updates when there are food-allergy related recalls

www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.HTML
Has recent recalls regarding food allergies

www.vermontnutfree.com
Resource to order/buy nut free goodies, such as "skippers" which look and taste eerily similar to M&Ms, but nut free!

www.peanutfreeplanet.com
Another nut-free resource

A recipe book has been suggested also; I haven't tried it but one of our members highly recommended it
Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids:Amazon.com: Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids: More Than 150 Recipes That are All Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free and Low in Sugar (9781592333837): Leslie Hammond, Lynne Marie Rominger: Books

Last edited by Jennmarie; April 3rd, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search