I don't know what's wrong.

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 12:49 AM
I really need help I think that my son has a number of food allergies but Iím not sure what. Right after my son was born my husband and I started to notice a myriad of symptoms. Right after we had brought him home, he started rejecting his Enfamil formula; he started to projectile vomit, he was gassy, and incredibly irritable. So, my husband and I tried to find a formula that would be gentler on his little stomach. We tried gentlease, and of number of other formulaís that made a promise to be gentler of their stomach; we made no progress. So, after talking to out pediatrician we decided to try soy formula, we still had no luck. I did some research and I decided to go out on a limb and try the only formula I could find that didnít have DHA and ARA. I ordered Similac Soy without DHA and ARA over the internet and gave it my son. I saw a whole new baby within 24 hours. I thought our problems were over. As he got older and we started to wean him off the formula I thought I would try cowís milk to see if he could tolerate it know that was older, but he again started to vomit, and he had a number of horrible diarrhea diapers. So, I settled on Silk soy milk and he has done great with it. But, at my sonís first birthday we decided to give him his own cake so that he could dive in; big mistake. My son broke out in fist sized welts from head to toe. We immediately ran him under some water and gave him a dose of Benadryl and within an hour the hives were gone. After his birthday a slue was other breakouts were to come. My son has broken out from oatmeal, a corn dog, gummy snacks, potato salad, chicken salad, ketchup, mustard, baked beans, and a number of other things that I canít even think of. We have an appt with an allergenist in 2 weeks, but itís driving me crazyÖwhat can this be?
February 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great that you are going to see an allergist soon.

From what you've mentioned so far, it does seem like your son may have multiple food allergies. Dairy seems like a definite culprit and maybe oats. It definitely seems like there are others based on the other foods he has reacted to. There are no common denominators among them that I can readily see.

It might be a good idea to keep a food diary to see what foods he reacts to and what are safe to eat.

Check out the subforums up on top for more ideas on what to do. Jennmarie has put together a lot of great info!

Jenn

Last edited by Tweetybabies; February 23rd, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
February 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Veteran
definitly sounds like food allergies. the allergist will ask you items he's eaten before and he'll be tested for some common known allergiens as well as anything you're concerned about.

good luck!

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

February 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted you to know I've seen this...but my 2 boys are headed for a simultaneous melt-down...so I will be back for a real response after bath and bed time!!!

February 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok..well chaos ensued for a good part of the evening until I was so tired I fell out, so I'm finally back! I think it definately sounds like food allergies, and I can't think of any common ingredients! I thought maybe soy, but Toby can have both ketchup and mustard, as well as oatmeal....certain kinds anyways. I would definately keep a journal on everything he eats and the symptoms/times of symptoms. I hope you can stick around and update us!

February 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
One more thing to keep note of is not only "oatmeal" but "Quaker bananas and cream" or whatever. Get as specific as you can as that will help you narrow things down. Tomatoes, Milk, oats, fish maybe(I am not sure where DHA and ARA originate but if he can tolerate Omega added that may not be a problem.) Possibly also eggs if it was honey mustard that would explain that as well as they normally have eggs in it, if not it will be something pretty specific. The ingredients in my mustard are distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, tumeric, and paprika. the other has the same but also "and spices". Ketchup is what made me suspect tomatoes but Danny had a tomato allergy so I am biased. Ketchup also has distilled vinegar, corn syrup, and other corn derived substances. Can he tolerate corn, corn meal, corn flour, etc? Juices? If not he may have a corn allergy. If he does not have a corn issue and he has an irritation type rash rather than hives with ketchup and mustard it may simply be the acidity irritating his skin. That is REALLY common. It may also be the grain the vinigar is derived from and you can call the manufacturer number on the container and they can tell you. That may be a common root that spread to both seemingly unrelated foods. Corndog and gummy snacks make me lean toward a corn allergy...if he can tolerate soy milk I would try to rotate him after he sees the allergist and he okays it with other milks such as hemp, rice, coconut, almond, hazelnut, etc becuase milk and soy allergies often are hand in hand and a common way to try to avoid over exposure an inducing an intolerance/allergy is to not over expose in the first place. Try not to replace all milk products with soy and replace what you can with rice or coconut alternatives...yogurt, ice cream, and pudding you can find in rice and coconut. DO NOT do that until you talk with the allergist as he is also at a higher risk for nut allergies and until you talk to the allergist I wouldn't risk a reaction to those. Just bring it up at his appt.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search