gluten /celiac disease

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Veteran
the allergist told us that she's allergic to gluten (among other things, lol) - i was telling a friend all the things DD is allergic to and since my friend has celiac disease she understands what i'm going through. but then she'll say my daughter is celiac........

so that gets me thinking.......... i think too much LOL

there's a difference, right?

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

February 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I think being allergic to gluten is different than having celiac's disease. Isn't it with celiac's disease, the gluten attacks the system not allowing the person to thrive?

My son is allergic to wheat, rye, barley and oats. So basically I follow a gluten free diet for him. However, our pediatrician does not think he has celiac's. He did wonder at one point when Luc was about 18 mths old and not seeming to gain weight. The ped was going to send us for celiac's testing if Luc did not gain weight within a certain time frame, which he did.

So I think you need to be tested to know if you have celiac's. I think it's more than just being allergic to gluten.

Jenn
February 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran
DD isn't gaining weight. but i attriute that to her very limited diet. the pediatrician never said anything to me about celiac, but then again... her pediatrician never said anything about her having food allergies until I brought it up so.........

i'm gonna ask at her next appointment. she's been 24lbs for over 4 months now, and that's very low, i'm told.

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

February 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the explanation above is correct..that people w/ celiacs are gluten free, but you can be allergic to gluten without having the disease. But, they are treated the same way-avoiding gluten. I hope that makes sense.

February 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Exactly. Celiac disease is a condition that is genetic and anything containing gluten damages the lining of the intestine. The finger-like substances (villi) will be damaged and lay flat thus decreasing the surface area in the intestine and dramatically lowering the rate of nutrient absorbtion. This is accompanied by oily diarrhea, a VERY swollen belly with tiny arms and legs. The belly is not fat or chubby but swollen and achy. Children will have oily stools due to fat not being absorbed and will often have smelly diarrhea for stool. If she is on a gluten free diet they cannot test her for Celiac's. She will have to resume normal food and then have an endoscopy and then(if the test is positive) resume the Celiac diet...which for a child is torture... Your DD is the same age as my DS and he was the exact weight as your DD for 7 months. We recently found out he has an extremely rare pancreatic disorder that closely mimiced both Celiac and Cystic Fibrosis but is much more easily treated than either. He was on a Celiac diet for about 3 months when a genetic screening came back positive. Having one or both genes for Celiac does NOT mean she has it. 38% of the population have the gene but only 2% (I think) that have the gene have Celiac.

A gluten intolerance is where the body is sensitive to gluten and cannot tolerate it, digest it, or recognizes it as a poison and causes some tyoe of symptom to occur with anything containing gluten but it does not affect the digestive tract in the same manner.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran
thanks i3ai3ydanny!!! that totally what i was looking to hear, lol.

March 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Your welcome!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search