My Story...still a newbie but learning more!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
divamomma's Avatar Veteran
Hello! I am a mom of two daughters, one is almost 4 and one is 5 1/2 years old. I posted about a month ago, wondering if my DD had food allergies. We have had some news so here is my story to date:

My 5 1/2 yr old DD has had chronic sinus issues for years. No meds seem to help. It does not seem to be seasonal allergies or environmental as it is always the same. Never worse or better. We were referred to an ENT in the fall. He suggested surgery may be an option to open the sinus passages but also wanted her to see an allergist. At that time he made the referral and said to come back in 3 months. We did, nothing had changed so he went ahead and set up a CT scan...which would need to happen nefore any further surgical intervention. Well....we have declined the CT due to extremely high doses of radiation. I have been researching food allergies, talking to people etc. My daughter sometimes has asthma like symptoms...wheezing, shortness of breath...for no apparant reasons. Sometimes a cold will bring it on, sometimes it seems to be for no reason. She also at times (usually bedtime) complains of itchy eyes, they get red and a bit puffy. All of a sudden I realized this may all be related. Kind of a DUH but it never connected before. So next we go see our family dr to request a RAST test. Fast forward a few weeks we get the results. She scored 1.19 for egg whites, 0.50 for peanuts and 0.56 for wheat. My family dr is faxing the RAST results to the allergist to hopefully speed things up for us. Now what do I do??? I have begun eliminating eggs but the whole thing is daunting. Three possible allergies? I suspected she could have a food allergy but to have it actually show up was shocking! Anyhow, that is about it. Seems I am just beginning the journey. I have been reading old posts here and have found them very helpful. Thanks for reading!

Oh. I just called the allergist again and they got her in for March 30. They said there was a cancellation but I left them a voicemail 3 weeks ago about getting on a cancellation list. They never returned my phone call at all. I am thinking it was the RAST scores that made them move us up. Regardless I am happy to be going in soon!!
March 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It may seem daunting at first, but it's not. My son has the same allergies plus a few more. He is allergic to wheat, rye, barley, oat, eggs, dairy, peanuts and treenuts. So I understand. Yes, it's a little hard, but it's do-able.

RAST results - I have no idea what they mean. I have never understood them. I do know that reactions trump results. The numbers may or may not mean anything. If indeed your DD is no longer having reactions as a result of avoiding those foods, that you are heading in the right direction.

Glad you're finding help for your DD. And glad that you are getting in to see an allergist soon. It took a month for us to the allergist that first time, too!

Jenn
March 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am the same way Jenn..rast scores are very confusing. But the blood test stuff is too, I know my ds scored in the low section for soy/peanuts, but those are his worst reactions. And like Jenn said above, it isn't as bad as it seems. Getting started is tough, but keeping it moving isn't so bad. Have you checked out the subforums?

March 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I agree as well...getting started is the hardest part...once you adjust it is much simpler and takes less time to shop because the choices are limited...silver lining I guess... RAST test is the blood test, skin prick and patch tests are more accurate but still not 100%...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 7th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hehe duh moment!!!!!

March 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
divamomma's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the responses! I am glad we are seeing an allergist soon. It was originally a 12-18 month wait!! We were first referred in November. Either the RAST scores (blood test) helped us get in sooner or I called right when they had a cancellation. Who knows.
March 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran
my daughter is allergic to eggs, wheat, gluten, peanuts, soy, oats..... and if u wanna get real technical, i'm supposed to have her avoid bananas, citrus fruits, corn & corn syrup, sweet & white potatoes (because they came back with high #s or whatever, in the bloodwork).

it DOES get easier once you're into the routine. i was totally crying in the grocery store when i was trying to switch her diet all around and everything has soy on it...

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search