Anyone else's kids allergic to guar gum?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
SarahNAlex's Avatar Regular
My DD is allergic to guar gum (we found out by a process of elimination). I try to read labels to make sure she doesn't get any. I know jams without pectin usually have it so I avoid those but does anyone else know other foods that tend to have it?
April 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
We don't have that sensitivity. However, a lot of people have bowel problems associated with this additive. From what I have read, it is generally sold at health food stores as a laxative.

If you don't mind me asking, what are her reactions?

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
April 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
SarahNAlex's Avatar Regular
She only has a mild allergy so far but it's got a bit worse each time (it took us a while to figure out the problem). Her reaction was to Jam that had it. She got red slightly puffy lips and puff red marks where it had been on her skin, plus last time she got a small patch of hives on her shoulder. The only reason we figured out what it was is that we bought other jelly that had the exact same ingredients except it had pectin instead of guar gum, otherwise I don't think we would have figured it out. The funny thing is the guar bean is a realtive of the peanut but she's not allergic to peanuts.

OMG that's so weird- we have the same name. I'm at least assuming Suzanne is your name based on your siggy.
April 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
So, we do have the same name.

Glad she isn't allergic to peanuts and that you found out what she was reacting to.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
May 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Guar/guar gum/guar flower is also called clusterbean or Calcutta Lucern, and is a common ingredient in baked goods and baking mixes, cereals, beverages, cheese and other milk products, dairy product analogues, fats, oils, gravies, jams, jellies, sauces, soup mixes and soups, syrups, toppings, vegetable juices, processed vegetables and deep-frozen foods. Heres a short list of its uses, so that may help you know what to avoid:
Bakery- increases dough yield, gives greater resiliency, and improves texture and shelf life.
Dairy-thickens ice creams, sherbets, cheese, liquid milk products, etc.
Meat-functions as lubricant and binder.
Dressing and sauces-improves the stability and appearance of salad dressings, barbecue sauces, relishes, ketchups and others (especially highly acidic emulsions).
Misc.- Dry soups, sweet desserts, canned fish in sauce, frozen food items and animal feed.
Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics
Guar gum can be used as a thickener for various cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. In compressed tablets guar gum can be used as a binder and distintegrator

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search