question about allergen foods in your home

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
If you have a child with a severe food allergy, is that food in your home at all? For example, your 11 yo child is allergic to all nuts and knows to read labels.

If you have two children with same allergy and one without, do you keep that food out of the house?

I'm curious because I had shared with some friends that my sister's 6yo had tried to help by making cereal for himself and his two OLDER siblings (one 11 and the other 9/Autistic). He poured three big bowls of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. Both of them are allergic to tree nuts, the 11yo to all nuts. Both severe enough to require epi pens on hand at all times.

And they went nuts about her even having something with nuts in the house. My 9yo nephew lives off peanut butter sandwiches, so she wouldn't eliminate that from her home.

So I thought I'd stop in here and see what you ladies think.

Sam's allergic to sweet potatoes and we don't have them in the house, but they're really not a staple item, kwim? Although, admittedly, I purposely have not introduced Henry to them.

I could see if they were toddlers or maybe not old enough to know that nuts can hurt them, but really eliminate the food entirely?

March 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
jeepgirl9478's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We eliminate almost compleatly. The only things we havnt eliminated are real milk and ranch dressing. My daughter knows very clearly she can't have those and she isn't allowed to touch them. If she was allergic to nuts they would be eliminated compleatly though, because nuts can be such a strong allergy that it can only take getting the nut protien in the air to cause a reaction. We do not keep anything with corn, peas, eggs, beef or pork in the house though. It's too hard to read lables at the store and then have to reread them before eating them.

Thanks .hoodihoo.this. for the siggy!!
March 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
mom2nate
I don't allow anything with peanuts/nuts in the house. I tell my husband he can have his candy bars at work or in the car but he has to wash his hands before he comes in the house....I am very anal about it...He would live on peanut butter sandwiches but since finding out Nathan is allergic to peanuts we have switched to Sunbutter (and it tastes so much better!). My MIL sends candy and chocolate and my husband immediately puts in his car to take to work. My parents were visiting once and my dad had a candy bar....I made him take it outside and wash his hands when he came in....He was none too happy....but he got over it...If it could harm Nathan then it doesn't come in the door.....I also feel like if he can't have it then we shouldn't either...but I am very anal about it
March 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son has multiple food allergies, to many common foods. We do not eliminate everything from our house.

Jenn
March 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ds has multiple allergies to common ingredients too, but it is generally not a severe allergy. DS2 doesn't have as many, and neither require epi pens. So we don't eliminate completely. But ds1 is good about only eating what we give him. If he didn't mind as well as he does it might would be a different story.

March 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Veteran
i keep all the food my daughter is allergic to in the house. the eggs are in the fridge that we have in the garage (eggs being what she's more allergic to) but that's really the extent of it.

she always asks me if she can have something and i tell her "no, because it has [whatever] in it that makes you itchy" and she knows what she cannot have.

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

March 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't have anything that I'm allergic to in the house, we have minimal quantities of some of what DH is allergic to in the house (sorry, I'm not going without potatoes and carrots for life when he's gone for 12 hours a day, lol!!). We have minimal quantities of soy in the house. At this point it is just shortening and margarine though, I think. Eventually we'll probably be soy free.

We do have a jar of peanut butter in the house still, but when it finally gets used up we won't be getting any more (DH is allergic). I don't buy any prepackaged item that has nut oils/proteins in it, but I do have the whole nuts in our house. I keep them in their packages in the fridge, and they are only out when Rebecca is in bed, and hands get washed after they are eaten so as not to have the proteins all over the place. If she was to react to a nut, it would be completely eliminated asap.
March 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
In my opinion the biggest danger is when the reaction is ana and the child can't determine on their own whether it is safe. If the autistic child doesn't know he can't have it that could be a concern but as long as he does as well than I wouldn't have a problem with it unless the allergy is an ana protien contact allergy. There is a little boy at preschool that if someone ate peanut butter and jelly for breakfast and comes in to wash their hands and touches the sink faucet....when he touches the sink faucet his through closes within 20 seconds...to me that would warrant eliminating them from the house...which they have...but if the allergy is ingestion only I wouldn't worry about eliminating it from the house as long as the kids know what they can and cannot have.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
chlodoll
Isaiah is allergic to dairy and requires an epi pen for it, he is also suspected to be allergic to peanuts, I need to have him re-tested but it wasn't as severe as the dairy allergy. We don't eliminate anything from the house. It would be very difficult to get rid of dairy since its in so much and everyone else likes it. My younger son doesn't have a dairy allergy so I do worry about cross contamination. I do not allow Isaiah to kiss Gabe and if Gabe does eat some dairy like yogurt I always wash his hands and face afterward. Isaiah is very good with knowing what not to eat and he always confirms that things are dairy free before he puts them in his mouth. Even if I am the one who gave it to him! lol
April 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't completely eliminated any of the foods from our house. Will has not had an ana reaction to foods yet. He breaks out in hives really bad if he touches milk or eggs and he tested pretty high for peanut/tree nut allergy but he has never had them. We keep things out of his reach. The thing that has been most difficult is trying to keep him from touching or playing with my younger DS food when he is drinking milk or eating cheese etc but we're just teaching Will that there are certain foods he can't have because they will make him very sick. I think if he were to have an ana reaction to something in the future I would likely eliminate from the house. We have an epi pen just in case but so far benadryl has worked for any reactions he's had

[
April 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
1HotMama's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, no, but my daughter is allergic to basically everything and I don't expect everyone to change their diet that drastically. We are very careful with things we know may cause ana (seafood, shellfish & nuts) but the other things are there (dairy, soy, and wheat).

I do not keep nuts in the cabinents and only recently allowed SO to bring peanut butter in the house. It's kept on a high shelf and no children are allowed to consume peanut better in the house, but SO and I do on occassion, and we are both VERY careful when we do eat it. SO also eats nuts (but in his office were DD never goes).

We have an epi pen in the house for worst case sceanrio, but have never used it although we've had two small ana episodes (though not in recent years).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search