Is this normal from Doctors ?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Our current Ped who is new to the practice is giving us a very hart time about why I haven't paid to have his blood tested to confirm Our son's milk allergy I honestly don't see doing this since I have a milk allergy and David was not able to digest Milk based formula in the NICU. They had to pump the formula out of his stomach and then switch him to the soy formula unitl my milk came in.

The Doctor says I am not going to pay for the blood test then I should just start giving him 8 oz of 2% milk every day.....

Has this happend to anyone else ?

April 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no, not to me. Our allergist actually said if you already know what's going to happen if your child has an issue with a food/allergy then he won't bother with the test. I think I would be thinking about changing doctors..that just doesn't sound very good to me. Why would you take the chance of hurting the child just because you don't want to put him through the stress of taking blood for something you already know. I don't get it.

April 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Thank You

I am glad, but sad to hear that this is not normal for Doctors. I am just frustrated beyond belief.

April 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
mom2nate
I agree with Jen...I haven't ever had this problem with our drs....I am pretty straightforward with them and tell them what I want and make them do it
April 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nate View Post
I agree with Jen...I haven't ever had this problem with our drs....I am pretty straightforward with them and tell them what I want and make them do it
If you look up the background of the word doctor it means teacher. So to me, as a mother the best thing I can do is get extremely involved and read some of the research articles and ask questions; and the doctor should be involved by helping me to sort through and weed out the bad advice/stuff that is contraindicated for my child; and also help me to explore options that we feel are in the child's best interest. If he/she can't or isn't willing to do that, then he/she doesn't deserve my time or money. All that said, I am someone who will pay for out of network when I have to to get the best care for us.

April 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
mom2nate
Oh I am so mad...I typed a big response and it didn't post....

To sum it up...I research until the cows come home and I am a pain in my doctor's ***** and Nathan's doctors as well....I go in armed and dangerous

And, if I don't like one I'll make an appointment with another...For instance I had to take Nate to and ENT last week for his ears...the guy (who was referred by his ped) was a complete jerk so we're going to another one this week....

Make the doctor listen to you...I know it's easier said than done
April 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow that doc sounds rude...And our GI doc and allergist stated that blood tests in young children can actually be false negatives...my dd is extremely allergic to milk and soy and blood tests say she's normal....Not every test is 100% true and it's frustrating when that's all doc's go by. I'm lucky my ped is very old school and listens to mom when it comes to signs/symptoms
April 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That ped is an idiot. Our allergist said that at that age a test may even give a false negative and then he would be reexposed to an apparently severe allergen. Don't listen to him at all. When you do try to reintroduce milk I would try a hard cheese such as cheddar but only after consulting an allergist. If you allready know what he cannot have there is no point in making him suffer more. If it comes to an insurance battle I would try it but most digestive allergies that are milk related are non-IgE anyway and only show up on skin patch tests so any other test would likely do no good...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
chlodoll
We have never done a blood test. We did the skin test and it only confirmed what we already knew. You know your child best!!
April 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Thank you so much Ladies,

I came out out that appointment with her making me feel like a horrible mom , like I wasn't doing the best thing for my son. From now on I will just request the other Drs in the practice and avoid her. We still aren't doing milk and I don't see trying it again any time in the future....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search