Hi I'm new

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
My name is Nicole and I am the mom of two little girls. Alissa who is 7 and Emma who is 4. Recently my youngest just had tubes put in her ears for chronic ear infections. During the surgery, they took blood to do an allergy test ( sorry don't know what its called). We just found out at the follow-up appt that Emma is allergic to milk, egg and egg yolk, and wheat, as well as mold but that doesn't apply obviously. My husband and I are totally shocked. She had been eating this food for years and never a bad reaction or anything. I don't know what to do or where to start. We have an appt for a nutritionist but are at a lost what to feed her till then.
Thank-you ladies for your time and I look foward to talking with you.

April 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bump. Sorry everyone just bumping this bc I'm new to the food allergy area. I honestly have no idea where to start, if I need a second opinion, or if I really should feed Emma normally until the appt like the doc said.

April 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its fine!! I actually thought I had replied already...maybe JM ate it. Welcome to our group! I would continue to feed her normally-more b/c blood tests can have false positives, and if you haven't noticed any issues then it very well could just be a false positive and there's no need to change her diet... But if tests were to get the same results again; or the doc recommends; then I think you should know its tough to get started on allergy-free diets, but pretty easy to keep it going once you know the lay of the land. You may want to check out the "getting started "subforums..there is some good info in there too

April 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is really overwhelming at first. There are a lot of allergen friendly foods that are available at mainstream grocery stores (and even Wal-mart) that will make the switch easier. You will end up spending a lot of time reading labels at first but then once you know what brands/foods don't contain the allergens shopping will get easier. I have a 2 yr old very allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, treenuts, and mildly allergic to wheat and soy. He never had bad reactions to the wheat and soy but he was super small for his age and once we changed his diet taking out the wheat he was able to gain weight finally.

The nutritionist should be able to help you a lot. I know our allergist also had a lot of helpful information. Plus there are tons of allergen free recipes if you google them just depending on what she likes to eat there are a lot of alternatives so that she can keep eating similar things to what she is used to.

[
April 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Aww thanks guys for the support. I still kinda feel bad though for bumping it lol. Still overwhelming but thanks to this forum and everyone's kind words, I will get the hang of it. I went to the store and I bought some safe foods for her so I feel a little bit better now. I have noticed once her diet had changed that she coughs less and no congestion. Symptoms of the allergies? I feel so bad because sometimes I feel like I could have done something to prevent it. Like not started her on cereal at 2 months (in bottle of formula cause she was a HUNGRY baby, 8oz didn't sate her). Her older sister has severe ADHD so some days its a lot to handle. Anyways I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again for the advice and support.

April 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is really no reliable research one way or the other that we can avoid food allergies by changing diets-during pregnancy or infancy, so don't beat yourself up on that. The advice to avoid the highly allergenic foods is good, but I think its basis is more on the older they are the easier their bodies will handle a reaction. One other thing- my boys are very prone to attention problems due to a disorder they have. I noticed an increase in ds1s milestones/development when we changed his diet.. have you ever thought about trying gluten free/casein free diets with her? (Which is basically what you'll be following if you choose to cut out the "allergic" foods)

April 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't feel bad about thinking you did something to cause the allergy. My oldest DS was exclusively breast fed until almost 5 months and then we did the whole pedi recommended rice cereal first and then veggies. He had really bad eczema since he was 3 months old and ebf. I noticed a few times him getting an upset tummy when I would drink/eat a lot of dairy but didn't think about it much but in hindsight I now realize that he had a severe enough dairy reaction that it came through my milk. Even with the symptoms he had we didn't get him formally diagnosed until 15 months when he was having so much trouble gaining weight and that is when we found all his other allergies. I felt so awful for not having him tested earlier and for ignoring the signs that looking back now seem so obvious but the important thing is going forward and not dwelling on what could have or should have been. You will probably noticed a lot of little changes (or some big changes) in how she feels overall, behavior, sleep etc. These are all common things that improve when allergies are diagnosed and diet is changed.

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search