Need some idea/suggestions from btdt moms

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are going to a week long family camp in July. They have classes for the kids and during the morning they feed the kids cookies or something like that for a snack. Obviously I'll be sending a separate snack for Will to eat but what I'm concerned about is that this class could have around 20+ two and three year old kids with one college age teacher and then they rotate Jr & Sr high age helpers in the class so they don't have the same helpers every day. Will is 2 1/2 but has a speech delay and cannot tell them his allergies and there is no way that he would refuse a cookie if someone gave him one.

So I guess my question for you is do you have any suggestions or ideas for how I can "label" him with his allergies for a couple hours every morning while he is in class. I want something that would be easily seen by the workers if they gave him a snack. Anyway just thought I'd see if you all had any suggestions. Thanks

[
May 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Will he have to wear a special camp shirt? Otherwise, I had posted this in one of the Food Allergy Awareness Week posts, Cafepress.com has a number of allergy shirts, buttons and stickers that might fit your need.

I particularly like this one that says "Stop! Do NOT Feed Me!! I Have Food Allergies

Jenn
May 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that was my suggestion too. Another option would be to have the camp supervisor post a memo near the snack area with a reminder that Will's snacks are seperate due to food allergies.

May 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
He doesn't have to wear a special shirt but we can't really afford to buy him shirts for all week. The stickers are a great idea though. I think if I stuck a sticker on his back it would be pretty easily seen when a helper would be passing out snacks. Thanks for the suggestions!

My sister has worked at this camp in past summers and has been one of the teen helpers and she has assured me that they have other kids with food allergies come and they are used to itit but I still have a hard time trusting a 14 year old teen to not get distracted and hand him a cookies. Fortunately he's never had ana reaction to foods (his worst reaction is breaking out in hives when he touches milk, eggs, nuts) but I always worry about that there being that first time.

[

Last edited by GiftsfromGod; May 17th, 2010 at 08:10 AM.
May 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would do stickers. I put one on Danny's front and back when we go places that don't know him. If one of the kids pulls the sticker off they still have one and no matter what angle they see him from it will be visible...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
This past weekend we had my sister's highschool graduation open house. I didn't have time to order any of these stickers so I just got blank name labels and wrote "Please do not feed me. I have food allergies" and put one on the front and back of Will's shirt. There were so many people around and lots of allergen foods so I figured it was better to label him because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes on him the entire time. It worked really well and a lot of people commented on what a good idea it was and other people who didn't know about his allergies asked me about them so it was good for awareness also.

Although my one pet peeve when I talked to them about his allergies and tell them what they are "milk, eggs, nuts, wheat" I'll get comments like "Oh well then he could have cornbread" to which I'll say umm yeah if it didn't have milk, and eggs or if it's not corn bread it could be a million other things that after I tell them his allergies they try to suggest foods to me that are still contain allergens. I know they are trying to be helpful but it gets old trying to explain that these allergens are in a lot of foods you wouldn't expect.

[
May 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It does get old..I had spent a good 3 yrs explaining it to DHs family I'm glad that the labels worked well, that is a good idea!

June 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It really does get frustrating constantly explaining and vetoing. I've FINALLY, after nine months, managed to convince the ladies at one particular place not to feed Rebecca ANYTHING, because if it doesn't have soy it likely has nuts or peanuts (or at least traces) and I'm paranoid due to the family allergy history, lol... Even at DH's parents' house (where they DO deal with supposedly major allergies), I don't trust anything they make, and insist on reading ingredients before they serve the food...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search