Anyone else stressed?!?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well, yesterday we saw a new doctor (I found a new one because the last one didn't seem to realize the importance and seriousness of the issue!) and I really like him. He listened to all of Alana's symptoms, checked her out thoroughly, and prescribed an additional medicine - Zantac. It is supposed to help relieve some of her symptoms and hopefully will work better than the Benadryl. She has had chronic hives (almost 4 months now), a runny nose and a cough and is just miserable. He also is changing her diet for a week and she can't have soy, wheat, dairy, nuts, citrus, or seafood. That seems like practically everything! All we could get her to eat for dinner last night was raisins! (Oh, and no pork either because she is definitely allergic to it!). He wants to try this diet for a week and see how it goes. Well I can't find anything for her to drink except water because fruit juices have citric acid! Anyone have any creative and cheap food suggestions? Anyone else's kids been prescribed Zantac?
May 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your daughter? Sounds like she can have rice milk, almond milk, eggs, rice krispies, cheerios, brown rice cakes, poultry, sprouted grain bread, smart balance light margarine, Knott's Berry Farm 100% fruit jam (no citric acid), Ball Park beef franks (just checked the label & they're fine), fruits, veggies, corn tortillas, craisins (dried sweetened cranberries-my son eats them like candy), oatmeal (just checked the label for Quaker instant oatmeal cinnamon & spice & it's fine plus it's yummy), beans, tator tots (make sure they don't have soybean oil tho), ketchup...These are just foods that I have lying around my house, you'll probably find a ton at the grocery store...Don't know anything about Zantac. Good luck!!!

ETA: Egg noodles, mashed potatoes with garlic powder and Smart Balance light margarine, Anderson's split pea soup, olive oil...

May 4th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm headed to the grocery today! Cheerios (or the honey nut kind we have) has wheat flour so she can't have those. I'll check the regular kind though because I know she loves them. Last night was really a struggle to get her to eat something. She would only eat 3 bites of the zucchini and squash I cooked and then ate a marshmallow. That's it! I normally don't promote the sugary foods but I didn't want her to go to bed hungry! She doesn't like mashed potatoes, tried that a few times already. This is going to be a long week I know!
May 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking on the allergy site. Can I just say, being a person who is allergic to wheat- particularly gluten in wheat, the disease called celiac. I have become some what of a novice on what is actually in foods and labeling. Rice krispies HAVE wheat in them, so do cheerios, sprouted grain bread unless it says wheat-free on it. Corn tortillas are dusted with flour from wheat. Tator tots have a wheat filler, ketchup ALSO has vinegar which comes from wheat. Not to mention the additives called lecithin found in many things comes from soy. Margarine comes from soy. If you really want to try an elimination diet like the doctor is suggesting, check out a celiac website, like www.celiacsprue.com. They will have a list of every food and additive that has wheat. The elimination diet will not work if she is continuing to be fed what could be the problems. Just wanted to tell you. Oh, AND oats are often contaminated with wheat. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with foods to feed your daughter.

(Quote zacksmom)
rice krispies, cheerios, brown rice cakes, poultry, sprouted grain bread, smart balance light margarine, Knott's Berry Farm 100% fruit jam (no citric acid), Ball Park beef franks (just checked the label & they're fine), fruits, veggies, corn tortillas, craisins (dried sweetened cranberries-my son eats them like candy), oatmeal (just checked the label for Quaker instant oatmeal cinnamon & spice & it's fine plus it's yummy), beans, tator tots (make sure they don't have soybean oil tho), ketchup...

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
It seems like such a hard diet to stick to! Have you found that it gets easier over time? What about Kix cereal? I read the label and it looked okay but I am so new at this reading label thing I probably missed something. So no ketchup either? Now she has apparently had some horrible reaction to the Zantac and started acting bizarre. She has reverted back to crawling (she falls when she walks or stands) and screams uncontrollably for no apparent reason, almost tantrum-like. I called the doctor and we're stopping the medicine for now to see if the symptoms go away. Anyone else's child ever had a reaction like this? It is scary!
May 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Lurking on the allergy site. Can I just say, being a person who is allergic to wheat- particularly gluten in wheat, the disease called celiac. I have become some what of a novice on what is actually in foods and labeling. Rice krispies HAVE wheat in them, so do cheerios, sprouted grain bread unless it says wheat-free on it. Corn tortillas are dusted with flour from wheat. Tator tots have a wheat filler, ketchup ALSO has vinegar which comes from wheat. Not to mention the additives called lecithin found in many things comes from soy. Margarine comes from soy. If you really want to try an elimination diet like the doctor is suggesting, check out a celiac website, like www.celiacsprue.com. They will have a list of every food and additive that has wheat. The elimination diet will not work if she is continuing to be fed what could be the problems. Just wanted to tell you. Oh, AND oats are often contaminated with wheat. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with foods to feed your daughter.

(Quote zacksmom)
rice krispies, cheerios, brown rice cakes, poultry, sprouted grain bread, smart balance light margarine, Knott's Berry Farm 100% fruit jam (no citric acid), Ball Park beef franks (just checked the label & they're fine), fruits, veggies, corn tortillas, craisins (dried sweetened cranberries-my son eats them like candy), oatmeal (just checked the label for Quaker instant oatmeal cinnamon & spice & it's fine plus it's yummy), beans, tator tots (make sure they don't have soybean oil tho), ketchup...[/b]
OMG-no vinegar either! Wow! Sorry for the bad advice! I just check the Rice Krispies that I have and the only ingredients are "rice, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, and malt flavoring." Does that mean that "malt flavoring" is also a wheat derivitive? Maybe you could try olive oil instead of margarine? It's healthier than margarine anyway. Did the dr. order a RAST or scratch test for you so that you will know for sure if wheat is an allergen? It sounds like if she can just have wheat and eliminate just the others, life would be a lot easier. That is so crazy that even oats are contaminated with wheat. My hat is off to anyone dealing with celiac disease.

May 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

(Quote zacksmom)
rice krispies, cheerios, brown rice cakes, poultry, sprouted grain bread, smart balance light margarine, Knott's Berry Farm 100% fruit jam (no citric acid), Ball Park beef franks (just checked the label & they're fine), fruits, veggies, corn tortillas, craisins (dried sweetened cranberries-my son eats them like candy), oatmeal (just checked the label for Quaker instant oatmeal cinnamon & spice & it's fine plus it's yummy), beans, tator tots (make sure they don't have soybean oil tho), ketchup...[/b]
OMG-no vinegar either! Wow! Sorry for the bad advice! I just check the Rice Krispies that I have and the only ingredients are "rice, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, and malt flavoring." Does that mean that "malt flavoring" is also a wheat derivitive? Maybe you could try olive oil instead of margarine? It's healthier than margarine anyway. Did the dr. order a RAST or scratch test for you so that you will know for sure if wheat is an allergen? It sounds like if she can just have wheat and eliminate just the others, life would be a lot easier. That is so crazy that even oats are contaminated with wheat. My hat is off to anyone dealing with celiac disease.
[/b]

Yes, malt flavoring is a wheat thing too. Not only that but most cereals unless stating otherwise on the packaging is run through the same conveyor belt as all the other wheat products and are therefore contaminated. Like Fruity Pebbles don't have wheat in the make up, but they are contaminated from going through the same processing. Yeah, celiac disease is not fun to deal with, but there is worse. Like right now I have to be on an even stricter diet than before for health reasons. I am limited to eggs, veggies, olive oil, spices, poultry, fish, beans and brown rice. That is about it give or take. Trying to get creative on those few items STINKS! But the point is that not staying strictly to this diet I was feeling like crap! I am hoping it will be short term and once I get the help problems resolved I can add a few more things back in. We will have to see, there is a possible of this new problem being life long, even besides the celiac disease which already IS lifelong. My whole family has celiac disease and the youngest of the kids is also allergic to peanuts, dairy and eggs. She has rashes and hives from head to toe because she is constantly getting accidental contamination, from church activities and family not realizing what is in something. Anyway, my parents have a hard time trying to keep her rashes under control.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Emm made a VERY good suggestion in the Celiacs diet...Ive found several celiac-friendly recipes that I have used for my girls. Another thing you may want to consider is using fresh foods instead of processed ones. And again, reading ingredients is the KEY to controlling allergies. I cannot stress that enough!
May 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Our neighbors boy has similar allergies. We are also on a vegan wheat free diet currently. Do you have a whole foods or trader joes near you? Those stores will have what you need. Particularly the Whole Foods. I suggest Cream of Rice cereal, it is great for breakfast, as in oatmeal. Flavor according to taste. She can have Rice milk, but not nut milks. You can buy Rice bread in your frozen natural food section of your grocery store, if you have that section. There are also fabulous vegan wheat-free waffles sold by Vans. You can buy Rice pasta and put some tomato sauce on it. You can make many dishes with rice, quinoa (high protein), beans and other grains. Add olive oil, seasoned with your favorite herbs, or with sauted onions or garlic. You can make great potato dishes. Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes (add olive oil, pressed garlic, rice milk and salt), french fries, potato chips.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search