Just "qualified" to join here

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Kathryn and have been on JM for years, but haven't posted recently. I have 2 DS's, 9 and 3. My 9 year old has asthma and environmental allergies. My 3 year old just had a severe reaction to cashews on Sunday, saved by the benedryl we gave him early and the prednisone we had on hand for my older son that our pedi directed us to give him. Scariest experience of my life and I don't ever want to repeat it. I'm hoping to find some others on here with treenut allergy experience, as this is a whole new ballgame for us.

Known food allergies for DS#2: cashews and canteloupe (ragweed). He also has had eczema since he was 3 months old and has environmental allergies, but not as severe as his brother's.

DH and I have pretty severe environmental allergies year round and I have asthma, so I'm good on managing those for me and DS #1. I've never had to worry about food allergies though. We're going to the pedi this afternoon to learn all the new rules, but I know that the experiences of other moms will be more beneficial for the day to day aspects of this.

Wow, that wound up being a lot longer than I'd intended. Sorry about that! Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
June 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Veteran
welcome to the group! i'm melissa, wife to steven. mom to dylan, 6, and delaney just turned 3 today lol. she's the one with ALL the allergies. they're listed in my siggy. she's had eczema since 2 months old b/c of food allergies and enviromental allergies (she's allergic to all grasses).

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

June 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Kathryn! I'm Jenn, mom to 3 boys, 2, 4 and 6. My 4 yr old, Luc, has multiple food allergies (wheat, oat, rye, barley, egg, dairy, treenut and peanut) and environmental allergies (according to the allergist, everything.)

Jenn
June 16th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you found us! I am Jenna, mom to Toby and Logan. T is my FA baby..soy,peanuts,eggs,dairy and dyes. Some of his are starting to clear up a teeny bit, but we still pretty much avoid all of it. A bad reaction is scary, I'm glad he's ok! Your pedi sounds good! But it might be really helpful to go to a pediatric allergist, it might be something you want to look into.

June 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the welcomes, ladies! We had a good follow up. The rash turned into eczema and he's still congested/coughing more than I'd like, but all the environmental allergens are super high right now, so at this point it's hard to distinguish whether it's from the cashews or the air. He gave us a lab slip for full IGE testing and to "draw enough for" some other kind of test as well. He wants us to wait a week or two to let the prednisone clear out of his system before going for the bloodwork, so we only have to do it once. In the meantime we just have to be careful what he eats.

We do have an allergy clinic in town, but we're not super impressed with them and they're always full (DH, DS#1, and I used to go there). Generally if you call in for a sick/allergy appointment, they either just call in meds without seeing you or send you to urgent care/ER. If the pedi's office can't manage it (I think they can, as they manage DS#1's asthma and allergies better than the clinic), then we'll go to the allergy clinic. But it will be a last resort kind of thing.

So...not many answers yet and more waiting, but at least we're moving forward. I've learned that cashews are in the same family with pistachios, mangos, and poison ivy, so we'll avoid all of those until we have the results of the bloodwork.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
June 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah, good luck with that...that's crazy about the drs, its the total opposite here! My peds are pretty good, but our clinic is awesome! I hope you get things worked out, and hope you keep posting with us, we have a great group of ladies!

June 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! My older DS (he's 2 1/2) has multiple food allergies. His highest are milk, eggs, peanuts, & tree nuts. We had him tested for food allergies because of reactions to milk and eggs and found out he also had high numbers to peanuts and tree nuts but he's never had much exposure to them or had a reaction but we carry an epi pen and benadryl with us everywhere we go. He was allergic to wheat and soy but has pretty much outgrown those allergies. He also had really bad eczema started from about 8 weeks (even when he was ebf he would have a reaction if I drank a lot of dairy) but once we found out his allergies his eczema improved drastically and he only gets a few spots during the winter and none during the summer now which is wonderful because his skin used to get raw and bleeding from it.

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search