New here...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I'm Sadie. I frequent several boards here...and just now found this one (after having it pointed out to me.). I have three kids, 8, 1 and 2weeks. My 8 year old has only seasonal allergies, so he escaped my curse...but I'm now pretty worried about my DD, who is 1.

For some background, I was allergic to EVERYTHING when I was little. I was allergic to the dairy protein, corn, and wheat, not to mention the standard seasonal type allergies, such as pollen and sap. None of this was discovered until I was three...understandably I was a miserable child. I eventually outgrew my allergies (except the seasonal and cat ones) and developed into semi-normal eating habits (though I will never eat "right" again...). However, with all my pregnancies my dairy allergy came back with a vengeance (of course, because I CRAVED it)...and so I was obviously concerned about allergies with all my kids.

As I said, DS seemed to escape the curse except for the seasonal allergies. He had issues when he was an infant, but we never found what they were tied to. When he was 1, they tested him for allergies and came back as allergic to NOTHING...well, he has seasonal allergies, the testing was wrong...therefore I'm against testing before two...I don't think the results are accurate.

Anyway, that brings me to today. My 1 year old has shown signs of a dairy allergy since infancy. When I breastfed if I had dairy, she'd be crabby until the next feeding. So, I've avoided dairy. We switched to soy formula when we switched, and I have never intentionally given her dairy since then, except as a test, which she quickly failed. The test subject was mac&cheese and she became a witch for two days and had a mild case of hives (for the record, my symptoms showed in personality first, hives second). We tried it twice, and she reacted poorly both times.

Since then I've carefully avoided dairies, but slipped up once or twice, each resulting in a reaction (I learned to read my labels VERY carefully after that).

Now, I have a new problem, and I don't know what it could be. When I went to get her up from her nap she was covered in hives on her legs ( http://poisonousroses.us/babyj/hives1.jpg, http://poisonousroses.us/babyj/hives3.jpg ). I can't think of what it might be. The onlything "new" introduced was a baby cereal...but before I bought it I made sure there was nothing in the ingredients that I hadn't tried before. It's the mixed fruit oatmeal cereal by Gerber. She's had oatmeal before w/o a reaction, so it's not that. Now as I reread the ingredients, the only thing I think could be different is the barley extract. Not sure she's had that.

Luckily she has a ped appt (her one year) on Wednesday...but what should I do? I'm against allergy testing before 2 years old...but I'm at a loss as to what this could be...and on top of that I'm already struggling to come up with a good transitional toddler diet that doesn't include dairy (tips, anyone?)....now to possibly have to eliminate barley? If it's the gluten and actually a wheat allergy, I'm really screwed...

Sorry, I write lots with little to say...I'm just frustrated. It doesn't help that when I called DH and told him DD had hives he flipped out and said "All kids get rashes...sheesh..." I'm sorry it's not a RASH, it's hives...and yes, I'm freaked out because I'm the one monitering the diet...not him...

*sighs* Sorry for the long vent...

Sadie
May 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Id get some benedryl cream for her legs, and give her a dose of oral benedryl to help with the hives. As far as the triggers, have you changed detergents/lotions/soaps/carpet treatment or cleaners lately? Those are the obvious ones to look for first. Is she breaking out anywhere else like on the arms, chest, face, neck or have a rosy ring around her mouth? Notice any swelling with the hives? The only thing that makes me think it may be environmental rather than a food allergy is that I can only see it at the base of her legs. I dunno how she normally reacts to her food allergies, but the girls always break out around their mouths and on their chest first. You already know she has a milk allergy....check the ingredients for milk derivitives.
These ingredients may contain milk protein - ammonium, butter, artificial butter, butter solids/fat, calcium, caramel color, caramel flavoring, casein, caseinate, ammonium caseinate, calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed casein, iron caseinate, magnesium caseinate, potassium caseinate, rennet casein, sodium caseinate, sodium caseinate solids, zinc caseinate, cheese, cream, curds, flavoring, high protein flour, lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate, lactoferrin, lactaglobulin, lactose, magnesium, margarine, milk, buttermilk, milk derivative, milk fat, milk protein, milk solids, skim milk, powdered milk, dried milk, dry milk solids, sour milk solids, hydrolyzed milk protein, natural flavoring, Opta (fat replacer), Simplesse (fat replacer), sour cream solids, whey, delactosed whey, demineralized whey, whey protein concentrate, whey powder, and yogurt.

Be aware that "non-dairy" products may contain casein.

Hope that helps! Good lucka nd I hope she feels better soon!
May 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first instinct was environmental, too...but nothing environmental has changed at all. She has a small rash near her mouth, but the hives on her legs were worse, that's why I took pictures of those. My hives always showed up on my inner arms, so I'm just thinking it's wherever her skin is most sensitive. Her reaction to milk varies between behavioral and hives (last time she splotched up on the face and neck and her calves...)...

No hidden dairy in this cereal that I've seen...I try my best to label read before I give her anything new. The only thing "new" that she's had in the past 48 hours is that cereal...and the only thing "new" in the cereal was the barley. *sighs* I have such a laundry list of things to take to the doc...so glad to be able to take another one now.
May 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I don't have any suggestions for this post, but WELCOME and I hope we can help.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search