Appointment update - Would like to join you ladies

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
CocoCake's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took Gracie to the allergist on Friday. I told him I was concerned about hereditary allergies and that I had not given her foods that cause me to react. I began to list some fruits and he told me they were all very unlikely to cause allergies and scientifically there was no reason that she would react to the same food in the same way that I do. At one point he asked how I was able to get an Epipen for her, I told him I was lucky to have and empathic Pedi whose children have food allergies. We went back and forth about scientific verus emotional reasons to test for allergies and eventually her did agree to test her for nuts.

The good news is that she is NOT allergic to almond, brazil nut, cashew, hazelnut, pecan, walnut, poppy seed, sesame seed or sunflower seed. She IS however allergic to peanuts.

When he came to check the skin test and saw the welt for the peanut test his demeanor changed completely. He said that in order to diagnose a true food allergy the oral symptoms, skin test, and a blood test are usually required, but he did concede that due the size of the welt on her arm that a true peanut allergy is present.

The ‘prick test’ is brutal and when people say ‘put kids through that’ they mean because it is really invasive. This Dr. marked her arms with pen then put a drop of the serum beside each mark and then took a tool that looked like a pin or needle and poked and scratched each drop. This went 10 times, right… Very invasive.

I got a call from her Pedi’s office that afternoon asking how the appointment went and I admitted it was a bit of a ‘pissing contest’. I think because the foods that trigger me are so vast and mixed that he didn’t even believe me or something. The nurse for my Pedi’s office has booked G at another allergy clinic July 12. I’ve already called them to confirm that their testing is less invasive and it is. Thank goodness. It’s going to be a challenge getting her to go back to an allergist. I asked the Pedi’s nurse if she would please thank the Pedi for listening to my fears and prescribing an Epipen back when she was 6 months old. I never thought much of it, but after the confrontation with the allergist I am so very thankful.

Last edited by CocoCake; June 27th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
June 27th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love her name..it is so pretty! We would love to have ya'll join us, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the allergist. You are lucky though that you have choices. The only (good) pediatric allergist in our area is 2 1/2 hrs away! So we are glad that we like him! I'm sorry she has a diagnosed allergy, but really glad that you know now and not later. And just avoiding peanuts won't be too bad.. and of course we are here to help! let us know how the next appointment goes.

June 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
CocoCake's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since I'm also allergic so we'll continue on as we have been. I did want to break down and cry a little, though. When it was just me being cautious and paranoid over the 'might be allergic' it was less scary. I just need to process this and shift the fear to knowledge.

Thank you for the compliment on her name.

June 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad that you were able to get her tested. It is funny because I have heard so many different ways that doctors do scratch tests done. When our allergist did Will's test panel she just had two paddles with little pricks on them and just had us bare his back and just laid the paddles down on his back at the same time so there were no individual poking it was just done in a matter of seconds.

Awareness of kids with peanut allergies has gone up a lot in recent years and most schools and people are aware of how serious an allergy it is and are willing to cooperate with you and there are many allergy free foods available.

[
June 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That is insane!!! I have never heard of a prick/scratch test done that way!!! At least not in the last 10 years and especially not a PED!!! That is horrible!

Danny's allergist had "caterpillars." Little rods with 8 plastic extensions that dipped in the allergen then rubbed/scrubbed (very lightly) his back... He whined for a minute but was done after that... I am sorry she had such a hard time with it and you too! Glad they found out about the nuts! Let us know how the next appt goes!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search