A question for everyone...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
If you have a child that was tested for allergies and shows up mildly positive for several allergies...milk, eggs, peanuts, carmel color...would you strictly avoid everything without question if they haven't had any obvious reactions to any or would you eliminate one at a time and see if there is a change/eliminate all then add them in one at a time and see if he gets worse? There is a mom at my church and her little boy will be 2 in September. He went in for allergy testing and these all came back. He has never had issues with these foods...enviro's are the main problem...and she has decided to eliminate all contaminants of these foods from his diet without question. The skin test was negative for all of these, there were RAST test results. She said the allergies must be pretty mild since they didn't show up on the skin test....I am assuming she didn't ask about the severity. She is supposed to meet with a nutritionist this week.

My main question is would you do food challenges at home if the child has never had problems before or just take what the Dr says and eliminate everything even processed in the same factory as she is? It just seems like overkill to me when he never had problems with it and they are...according to her....mild allergies...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Why did he go for testing in the first place? I think it depends. My son was tested at 4 mths before he ever even had any food - due to severe ezcema - so I eliminated all the culprits from my diet since I was BFing. And I never gave him any of the foods - unless it was by accident/cross contamination. So in my case, yes, I eliminated foods without any obvious reactions b/c he never actually had the foods before. But later on when he did get the skin test, he did have reactions.

Is she 100% sure he's never had reactions to those particular foods? If he definitely has not had reactions to the foods, I would either ask for a food challenge at the allergist to make sure or eliminate all the foods temporarily and reintroduce them slowly to make sure there is no reaction/allergy.

I hope what I said made sense. I think I was rambling a bit....

Jenn
July 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM
CocoCake's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess our situation is similar. I took my girlie for testing at 4 years old concerned about hereditary nut and fruit allergies. She tested positive for peanuts and kiwi - both items I've never intentionally given her, but she may have had them on a "may contain" or "processed in" basis. She also tested positive for carrots, which she has been eating a couple of times a week for the last 2 years. I will not stop offering her carrots, and am keeping status quo with products she's been eating in the may contain department - although, I am scrutinizing those same product labels every time I go to the store now.

Since I anticipate the same allergies with my 2 year old I haven't given him some fruits that my DD is now eating. For me, once she could communicate if something made her mouth feel funny I offered her a sample. Until my boy can communicate better I don't offer him items that he may be able to eat.

I think it's pretty personal. I would want to know more about RAST vs skin testing. I tend to think that when it's your own kid that whatever you decide is the right decision.

July 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah..toby didn't have any issues like that; but if I was positive that a food that tested "positive" was not causing a problem, then I'd keep on with it.

July 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Thanks guys. It just threw me for a loop because eventhough the results were so minimally positive she eliminated every trace from his food. An example for us is that the level of soy sensitivity determines whether the child can have food made in the factory, processed with, containing traces of, and containing soybean oil and soy lecithin. With peanut it is the same way. If it is a mild allergy the child should be able to have foods made in the same factory if nothing else. That one just mixed me up I guess. I can sort of understand he thought process on that one though because her sister has a little boy with ANA peanut allergies so they have to avoid any possible contaminations....

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Will we knew before he was tested that he was allergic to milk and eggs because of the reactions he had to them and had already eliminated them from his diet but we decided to go ahead and test because even though he was not having any other obvious signs of reaction he was not gaining weight and had eczema. We found out through the testing that he was mildly allergic to wheat and soy and when we removed those from his diet he gained 3lbs in 3 weeks (he was only 17lbs when diagnosed so 3lbs was a big deal) So for us even though we didn't see any obvious reactions to the mild allergens it did make a big difference. We then slowly added back in soy which was the lesser of the two and he kept gaining and then when he was retested 6 months later his wheat numbers had gone down further so we slowly introduced it back into his diet and he is doing well with both wheat and soy now.

So long story short I'd say eliminate all for a few weeks and see if there are changes and then slowly add back in foods and watch for any reactions

[
August 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was tested for allergies and had NOTHING show up in the food area, even though we know through food challenges that I can't have onions, yellow food colouring (and they don't test for colourings where my testing was done anyway), pineapple, shellfish, or pork products, as well as a few other odds and ends which I don't consider important simply because it's not common food. Pork and onions I react to in the air, let alone eating them. I can't be around either one for long or I'll end up needing benadryl just because of the smell. The reaction that *I* noticed to the yellow colouring was a headache... the reaction we discovered when I was pregnant with Rebecca? it causes my kidneys to become inflammed and start spilling protein at kidney failure levels. Our doctor considers it an allergy, even though it wouldn't be considered a 'true' allergy. DH had testing done and I cut all the foods he reacted to, and I actually didn't notice a difference... until I added things back in. He doesn't eat most of the stuff he's allergic to, because most of them cause gastrointestinal reactions... by way of SUPER STINKY gas! YUCK. And I have to sleep with him after feeding those things to him, lol. I don't let him have beef, potatoes, or carrots very often!

So... I would remove everything until my kid could tell me they don't feel good wherever they're not feeling good and then start adding stuff back in to do the challenges at home, because I DON'T test positive on skin tests, and DO react to things... and have a DH who tested positive on things and we'd never noticed a problem with most (except peanuts, which was why I made him get tested in the first place), and discovered the difference after I took stuff out and added it in again.
August 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The false positive rate is 50% with testing.. So 50% of people who test positive to something will not be allergic to whatever they tested positive. There is also a 92% accuracy for negatives.. so 8% of people who test negative can still be positive.

My child tested positive to cow's milk, cheese mold, cow and dog dander, and bananas on her RAST. She tested negative on her skin prick test to dairy and dog dander and tested positive to bananas on her skin prick test. She also tested negative on everything to soy and eggs but they both cause reactions so we are now avoiding dairy, soy, bananas, and eggs and giving antihistamines around dogs (cause she just LOVES them too much). She is anaphylactic to soy and banana after having reactions to them both. I only avoid what causes a reaction and don't care about what the tests show.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search