Cross contamination and the inlaws!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2010, 07:27 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I am so frustrated. My dd has celiac and this was her second recheck of her antibody levels since her diagnosis. They are up from where they were instead of down. I really think the contamination is coming from my inlaws and possibly dh. I am so frustrated. My inlaws take my kids on trips and such and they really suck at being good about reading labels and asking. They have the fundamentals, but they make a lot of assumptions. For example they were feeding her nachos at restaurants and never ask whether the nachos are cooked in the deep fryer. A lot of the tortilla chips are contaminated because of this. I really think the other issue is the restaurant issues. I don't know how to get people to be more diligent with this. Anyone else dealt with this? How do you get other people to take things up a notch and not just watch for the allergen, but the cross contamination as well?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Man, the money I would pay for the answer to this question! Unfortunately, the answer appears to be a lot of time, and a lot of consistency on your/our part. I have had my share of these problems with my inlaws too. Do you go out to eat with them often? Like you and DH and them and the kids? If they see you modeling how to order for the kids, then that could help. Other than just constantly reminding them what is necessary for her health, I really don't have any advice. I have personally considering tattoing instructions to my DS's foreheads, but DH wouldn't consent.

Man, the money I would pay for the answer to this question! Unfortunately, the answer appears to be a lot of time, and a lot of consistency on your/our part. I have had my share of these problems with my inlaws too. Do you go out to eat with them often? Like you and DH and them and the kids? If they see you modeling how to order for the kids, then that could help. Other than just constantly reminding them what is necessary for her health, I really don't have any advice. I have personally considered tattoing instructions to my DS's foreheads, but DH wouldn't consent.

October 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
CocoCake's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so frustrating! Some days my Mom will reread labels and be super diligent and other days she's almost indifferent. I find that I have to constantly remind/nag her. I also send snacks, prepare the kids meals and identify what they shouldn't have and why.

Like Jenn said, remind them it's is necessary for her health. I've had it out with my Mom a few times about the consequences of a preventable decision.

October 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How old is your daughter? Is she able to ask for herself?

My parents are wonderful about foods for Luc. They don't go out to eat. However, they will make him the same foods all the time that they definitely know is safe for him - which can get kind of boring.

My ILs haven't a clue about Luc's allergies even though they've been told repeatedly and we've known about his multiple food allergies since he was 4 mths old - he's now almost 5! Which is why he will never be left alone with them. On a recent visit, MIL even tried to feed Luc a food that is allergic to, right in front of me. Thank goodness, Luc knew he was allergic to it and looked at her questionly. I mean, I was right there. She could have, should asked me. And she tried to make light of it afterwards. Not with my child's health, you don't!

When worrying about cross contamination, I assume the worse. I do research restaurants - mostly chains - to see how they are as far as their allergen info goes. If they are vague and iffy about it, then we don't go there.

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search